RE: [tmboptical] flat field corrector for tmb

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
      Dietmar,

      TMB sells a dedicated flat field corrector for both scopes.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
        STU,

        At present, TMB does not make a reducer. There was once plans for
        getting some reducers made by Markus, which has not happened.

        I have the WO APO .8x reducer that I bought for my Megrez II 80ED, the info
        says it will work on scopes from F7 to F10. As far as a flattener goes, one
        is not needed for an ST-8.

        I have the same question for my TMB 175 f-8.

        Which flattener/focal reducer for an ST-8, and where do I find one?

        STU

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sterngucker_7000"

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "tmboptical
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical> " on the web.

      • dietmar hager
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
          Terry,

          thanks for information.
          I used a williams optic 0,8 reducer on the 5" tmb of a friend of
          mine.
          see yourself:
          I cannot reccommend this item!
          http://members.liwest.at/stargazer/work/stacked.jpg
          this image is not representative for details on the galaxy - it was
          just made for testing the reducer.

          are there any alternatives other than the tmb-reducers?

          has anyone of U experience with tmb reducer?
          I`d take it if I knew that it workes perfectly!

          thanx,
          regards
          dietmar

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@v...>
          wrote:

          > STU,
          >
          > At present, TMB does not make a reducer. There was once plans
          for
          > getting some reducers made by Markus, which has not happened.
          >
          > I have the WO APO .8x reducer that I bought for my Megrez II 80ED,
          the info
          > says it will work on scopes from F7 to F10. As far as a flattener
          goes, one
          > is not needed for an ST-8.
          >
          > Terry
          >

          > _____

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          > _____

        • sforster12
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
            Dietmar's image shows aberrations at the edges. Do you have any
            experience with the reducer at longer focal lengths. I've gotten
            feedback that different focal lengths have different amounts of field
            curvature, and that's why Televue makes several different
            Reducer/flatteners depending on the scopes native focal length. I
            know Mike Downing has used the AP .75 reducer, and Adrian Catterall
            had Markus machine him a 4" TMB to 2.7" AP adapter so he could use
            the AP .75 reducer. I'd like to get a straight answer from someone
            who has direct experience with larger aperture/longer focal length
            setups before spending $$$ and then dumping it at a loss on Astromart
            2 weeks later.

            STU

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
              >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sforster12" <SHFORSTER1@a...
              > wrote:
              >
              > I have the same question for my TMB 175 f-8.
              >
              > Which flattener/focal reducer for an ST-8, and where do I find one?
              >
              > STU

              The FF design for the TMB 175mm f/8 field flattener design to Markus
              back in May, 2005, see msg # 25164. Perhaps Markus has an update.

              ___
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sforster12" <SHFORSTER1@a...
                > wrote:
                >
                > Dietmar's image shows aberrations at the edges. Do you have any
                > experience with the reducer at longer focal lengths. I've gotten
                > feedback that different focal lengths have different amounts of
                > field curvature, and that's why Televue makes several different
                > Reducer/flatteners depending on the scopes native focal length.

                This is not exactly correct. For an optimal design of an FF or FR one
                should design on a per objective basis. See posts #19611 and #19619
                and #18231 in this group.

                > know Mike Downing has used the AP .75 reducer, and Adrian Catterall
                > had Markus machine him a 4" TMB to 2.7" AP adapter so he could use
                > the AP .75 reducer.

                Ah, this is the "Harvey Adapter" available in the USA (assuming the
                machine shop that produced it has them in stock).

                The Astro-Physics 0.75x FR is their model number: (27TVPH) I assume
                this is the one you refer to.

                Here is a film pic I took a while back with a TMB 152 f/7.9 using the
                "harvey adapter" and AP 0.75x FR. It looks good to the edge of a 35mm
                film to me.

                http://tim.povlick.com/photogallery/mwBig.jpg

                At post# 19613 Adrian mentions he's had good success with his TMB 175
                (?) and the AP-0.75x FR as well as one of the TV reducers. He
                mentions vignetting with the TV-FRs, an important consideration.

                What TMB scope are you asking about specifically?

                > I'd like to get a straight answer from someone
                > who has direct experience with larger aperture/longer focal length
                > setups before spending $$$ and then dumping it at a loss on
                > Astromart 2 weeks later.

                A straight answer is difficult because it depends on each objective
                lens as well as the trade off in money (i.e. custom FF/FR) Vs. amount
                of abberation one is willing to accept. If one buys the TMB designed
                FF's for the particulate TMB scope you're all set. Others may not
                want to spend that much money and try a third party FR/FF. In this
                case it's a gamble if it will work well or not. The experience of
                others using the 3'rd party optics is key.

                Best Regards,

                ___
                Tim,

              • sforster12
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Tim,

                  I'm looking for a reducer too. The final ratio of F 7.66 isn't enough
                  reduction.

                  STU

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Dietmar,

                    The TMB 130's are F6, the data with the reducer said F7 to F10 scopes.
                    What backspace did you use for this image? I was not able to find a direct
                    answer for this reducer. The TV .8x reducers are 56mm + - 2mm, and are
                    recommended for the TMB80

                    If you have plans for a large format CCD STL 11k or STL6303, you will have
                    to have the TMB flattener, for ST 10 and smaller, it is not necessary. As
                    said before, the plans for the reducer from Markus never happened, I think
                    they could not get the required glass to make them.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                      STU,

                      That is right, Michael has used the .75 reducer with his 180, he is not
                      on the list anymore but you could contact him directly. I am sorry I can't
                      more specific info on this, I have yet to use it on my Megrez II 80ED which
                      it is optimized for it, at F7. I will be using it when my mount comes back
                      from being repaired. As I recall, Michael had no problems that he mentioned
                      about the .75 reducer. I am sure there is a correct distance it must be from
                      the focal plane, I guess you can find this out on the AP website.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                        Terry,

                        thank U!
                        I use a starlight express h9c - for which is no ffc necessary.
                        but for my
                        starlight express sxvm25c it is essential, cos chipo size is giantic!
                        7.8uM square pixels in a 23.4 x 15.6mm array