flat field corrector for tmb

  • sterngucker_7000
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
      hi folks,

      what kind of flat field corrector for my
      4" f/6 tmb apo would U reccommend?
      why?
      look here:
      http://members.liwest.at/stargazer/astropics/deepsky/m31_big_02.JPG
      this pic was done with the 4" tmb and the starlight express sxv m25c
      U see the effect of coma and further more vigenting effects as well.

      what about a flat field corrector for my comming 9" f/9 tmb apo?

      thanx for Your help!
      regards
      dietmar
      http://members.liwest.at/stargazer
    • sforster12
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
        I have the same question for my TMB 175 f-8.

        Which flattener/focal reducer for an ST-8, and where do I find one?

        STU

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sterngucker_7000"

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
          Dietmar,

          TMB sells a dedicated flat field corrector for both scopes.

          what kind of flat field corrector for my
          4" f/6 tmb apo would U reccommend?
          why?
          look here:
          http://members.liwest.at/stargazer/astropics/deepsky/m31_big_02.JPG
          this pic was done with the 4" tmb and the starlight express sxv m25c
          U see the effect of coma and further more vigenting effects as well.

          what about a flat field corrector for my comming 9" f/9 tmb apo?

          thanx for Your help!
          regards
          dietmar
          http://members.liwest.at/stargazer

          Tmb
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Tmb&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+magazine&w3=Ast
          ronomy&c=3&s=48&.sig=S-9fdBRdYoZMidF3CQ4kxA>

          Astronomy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+magazine&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+
          magazine&w3=Astronomy&c=3&s=48&.sig=futZRZpaAgNPqk1ni_L7jQ> magazine

          Astronomy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+magazine&
          w3=Astronomy&c=3&s=48&.sig=CfIkLxvgk7f1_Znsss7-cg>

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "tmboptical
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical> " on the web.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
            STU,

            At present, TMB does not make a reducer. There was once plans for
            getting some reducers made by Markus, which has not happened.

            I have the WO APO .8x reducer that I bought for my Megrez II 80ED, the info
            says it will work on scopes from F7 to F10. As far as a flattener goes, one
            is not needed for an ST-8.

            <dietmar.hager@m...> wrote:

            > hi folks,
            >
            > what kind of flat field corrector for my
            > 4" f/6 tmb apo would U reccommend?
            > why?
            > look here:
            > http://members.liwest.at/stargazer/astropics/deepsky/m31_big_02.JPG
            > this pic was done with the 4" tmb and the starlight express sxv m25c
            > U see the effect of coma and further more vigenting effects as well.
            >
            > what about a flat field corrector for my comming 9" f/9 tmb apo?
            >
            > thanx for Your help!
            > regards
            > dietmar
            > http://members.liwest.at/stargazer

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "tmboptical
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical> " on the web.

          • dietmar hager
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
              Terry,

              thanks for information.
              I used a williams optic 0,8 reducer on the 5" tmb of a friend of
              mine.
              see yourself:
              I cannot reccommend this item!
              http://members.liwest.at/stargazer/work/stacked.jpg
              this image is not representative for details on the galaxy - it was
              just made for testing the reducer.

              are there any alternatives other than the tmb-reducers?

              has anyone of U experience with tmb reducer?
              I`d take it if I knew that it workes perfectly!

              thanx,
              regards
              dietmar

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@v...>
              wrote:

              > STU,
              >
              > At present, TMB does not make a reducer. There was once plans
              for
              > getting some reducers made by Markus, which has not happened.
              >
              > I have the WO APO .8x reducer that I bought for my Megrez II 80ED,
              the info
              > says it will work on scopes from F7 to F10. As far as a flattener
              goes, one
              > is not needed for an ST-8.
              >
              > Terry
              >

              > _____

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              > _____

            • sforster12
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                Dietmar's image shows aberrations at the edges. Do you have any
                experience with the reducer at longer focal lengths. I've gotten
                feedback that different focal lengths have different amounts of field
                curvature, and that's why Televue makes several different
                Reducer/flatteners depending on the scopes native focal length. I
                know Mike Downing has used the AP .75 reducer, and Adrian Catterall
                had Markus machine him a 4" TMB to 2.7" AP adapter so he could use
                the AP .75 reducer. I'd like to get a straight answer from someone
                who has direct experience with larger aperture/longer focal length
                setups before spending $$$ and then dumping it at a loss on Astromart
                2 weeks later.

                STU

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                  >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sforster12" <SHFORSTER1@a...
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > I have the same question for my TMB 175 f-8.
                  >
                  > Which flattener/focal reducer for an ST-8, and where do I find one?
                  >
                  > STU

                  The FF design for the TMB 175mm f/8 field flattener design to Markus
                  back in May, 2005, see msg # 25164. Perhaps Markus has an update.

                  ___
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                    >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sforster12" <SHFORSTER1@a...
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > Dietmar's image shows aberrations at the edges. Do you have any
                    > experience with the reducer at longer focal lengths. I've gotten
                    > feedback that different focal lengths have different amounts of
                    > field curvature, and that's why Televue makes several different
                    > Reducer/flatteners depending on the scopes native focal length.

                    This is not exactly correct. For an optimal design of an FF or FR one
                    should design on a per objective basis. See posts #19611 and #19619
                    and #18231 in this group.

                    > know Mike Downing has used the AP .75 reducer, and Adrian Catterall
                    > had Markus machine him a 4" TMB to 2.7" AP adapter so he could use
                    > the AP .75 reducer.

                    Ah, this is the "Harvey Adapter" available in the USA (assuming the
                    machine shop that produced it has them in stock).

                    The Astro-Physics 0.75x FR is their model number: (27TVPH) I assume
                    this is the one you refer to.

                    Here is a film pic I took a while back with a TMB 152 f/7.9 using the
                    "harvey adapter" and AP 0.75x FR. It looks good to the edge of a 35mm
                    film to me.

                    http://tim.povlick.com/photogallery/mwBig.jpg

                    At post# 19613 Adrian mentions he's had good success with his TMB 175
                    (?) and the AP-0.75x FR as well as one of the TV reducers. He
                    mentions vignetting with the TV-FRs, an important consideration.

                    What TMB scope are you asking about specifically?

                    > I'd like to get a straight answer from someone
                    > who has direct experience with larger aperture/longer focal length
                    > setups before spending $$$ and then dumping it at a loss on
                    > Astromart 2 weeks later.

                    A straight answer is difficult because it depends on each objective
                    lens as well as the trade off in money (i.e. custom FF/FR) Vs. amount
                    of abberation one is willing to accept. If one buys the TMB designed
                    FF's for the particulate TMB scope you're all set. Others may not
                    want to spend that much money and try a third party FR/FF. In this
                    case it's a gamble if it will work well or not. The experience of
                    others using the 3'rd party optics is key.

                    Best Regards,

                    ___
                    Tim,

                  • sforster12
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Tim,

                      I'm looking for a reducer too. The final ratio of F 7.66 isn't enough
                      reduction.

                      STU

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                        Dietmar,

                        The TMB 130's are F6, the data with the reducer said F7 to F10 scopes.
                        What backspace did you use for this image? I was not able to find a direct
                        answer for this reducer. The TV .8x reducers are 56mm + - 2mm, and are
                        recommended for the TMB80

                        If you have plans for a large format CCD STL 11k or STL6303, you will have
                        to have the TMB flattener, for ST 10 and smaller, it is not necessary. As
                        said before, the plans for the reducer from Markus never happened, I think
                        they could not get the required glass to make them.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 2, 2006
                          STU,

                          That is right, Michael has used the .75 reducer with his 180, he is not
                          on the list anymore but you could contact him directly. I am sorry I can't
                          more specific info on this, I have yet to use it on my Megrez II 80ED which
                          it is optimized for it, at F7. I will be using it when my mount comes back
                          from being repaired. As I recall, Michael had no problems that he mentioned
                          about the .75 reducer. I am sure there is a correct distance it must be from
                          the focal plane, I guess you can find this out on the AP website.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                            Terry,

                            thank U!
                            I use a starlight express h9c - for which is no ffc necessary.
                            but for my
                            starlight express sxvm25c it is essential, cos chipo size is giantic!
                            7.8uM square pixels in a 23.4 x 15.6mm array