Re: Price Differences

  • cjamescook
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
      David, I think I can help here, at the risk of repeating something
      you already know.

      The prices on TMB refractors tend to go up with the cube of the
      radius because we are dealing with a three dimensional object.
      Increasing the radius imples increasing the volume of exotic glass
      and increasing the six surfaces of the three lenses that must be
      ground, figured, and polished.

      That said, the price/radius curves are not smooth. Sometimes the
      slope curve goes upward sharply for reasons we are not privvy to.
      Sometimes it is just that the f/ ratio makes the lenses more
      difficult to produce. Marcus was alluding to this in his note below.
      The TMB 175 f/8 has been replaced by the TMB 180 f/7. The 180/7
      attempts to satisfy customer demand for shorter and more portable
      telescopes, but at a higher cost.

      I wish I could wave a magic wand that would lower production costs
      by an order of magnitude, but alas, Harry Potter does not seem to be
      answering the calls of a mere muggle like me.

      Good luck,
      -Jim Cook
      Bolton, Massachusetts

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "ccduser" <ccduser@y...> wrote:

      > I dont understand your statement below
      > I already looked at the prices on the TMB Optical Site
      > Am I missing something?
      >

      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes"
      > <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
      >
      > > F/7 is much more difficult to polish and use about 2 times the
      > volume of super ED Glas. Wait till you see the price of the
      180F/7 ,
      > its very close to the price of the 203F/9

    • mihalco
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2005
        I think what David may be referring to is the price on Thomas's
        website for the 180/f7, which is $14,900 (maybe needs updating ;>) vs
        $22,990 for the 203/f9. Markus lists the 180/f7 at 16,990 Euro vs
        17630 Euro for the 203/f9 - a much closer spread.
        Kurt Mihalco

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2005
          the price on Toms webside is what we speculated , but since my Russian trip 2 weeks ago we know the real price which is much higher then we speculated, so all dealers need to do a webside upgrate now