Re: Deimos in the 175/8

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2005
      >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mike@s...> wrote:
      >

      > Thanks Eric, my eyepiece sketches are awful, I draw the most
      > contrasty
      > regions then re-draw them and paint the coloration when I'm warm,
      > using
      > Photoshop. So they're pure digital. OK, here's a bigger one:

      I think Herschel used PS when he sketched too, or was it MS Paint?

      :-)

      > http://www.scopenews.com/tmb175/mars/mars1101_deimos.jpg

      Nice image and an interesting technique.

      Once Jupiter returns, I have a round, white pebble I found that, with
      some color pencil marks will make a good rendition of the planet.

      Tim

      > best wishes
      > Mike

    • Mike C
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2005

        > I think Herschel used PS when he sketched too, or was it MS Paint?
        >
        > :-)

        Must of been PS, Herschel was a devout Macintosh user. He would roll over in
        his grave if he heard his name being bantered about in the same statement as
        "MS".... (pssst.... I use MS XP myself)

        >> http://www.scopenews.com/tmb175/mars/mars1101_deimos.jpg
        >
        > Nice image and an interesting technique.

        Thanks!

        I don't like to make the images this big but Eric asked nicely. I paint them
        big and then shrink them down. Smaller images are more like the eyepiece
        and hide more of the sins of it being an "impression". For example, the
        north edge of Sinus Sabaeus in my drawing -- I couldn't see those exact
        lumps on it, but during best seeing I did see a sharply defined and lumpy
        edge to it. My drawing tries to communicate the impression of lumps on the
        north edge, not the exact size and location of the lumps. :) You start
        making your planetary drawings huge and it gives the viewer a false
        impression as to accuracy, feature placement, and what the feeling is like
        at the eyepiece.

        > Once Jupiter returns, I have a round, white pebble I found that, with
        > some color pencil marks will make a good rendition of the planet.
        >

        > Tim

        Now that's a cool idea. Must be a big pebble ! If I'm not mistaken,
        Herschel started with pebble models, but ended up working a pottery wheel at
        the eyepiece. Try it... :)

        Mike
      • Donald Rosenfield

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2005
            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mike@s...> wrote:
            >

            > Must of been PS, Herschel was a devout Macintosh user. He would roll
            > over in his grave if he heard his name being bantered about in the
            > same statement as "MS".... (pssst.... I use MS XP myself)

            No way, he started with an Altair 8080. Or was that 8800?

            > I don't like to make the images this big but Eric asked nicely. I
            > paint them
            > big and then shrink them down. Smaller images are more like the
            eyepiece
            > and hide more of the sins of it being an "impression". For example, the
            > north edge of Sinus Sabaeus in my drawing -- I couldn't see those exact
            > lumps on it, but during best seeing I did see a sharply defined and
            lumpy
            > edge to it. My drawing tries to communicate the impression of lumps
            on the
            > north edge, not the exact size and location of the lumps. :) You start
            > making your planetary drawings huge and it gives the viewer a false
            > impression as to accuracy, feature placement, and what the feeling
            is like
            > at the eyepiece.

            That's a good way to do it.

            > > Once Jupiter returns, I have a round, white pebble I found that, with
            > > some color pencil marks will make a good rendition of the planet.
            > >

            > > Tim
            > >

            > Now that's a cool idea. Must be a big pebble !

            It's about 1.25" diameter. It's neat in that it's oblong like the
            planet, is the white milky quartz and is shattered in such a way that
            the bands are almost there already.

            I see a lot of other quartz rocks that are similar but they are
            contaminated by this stuff that looks just like yellow lead. I throw
            all those rocks away.

            >If I'm not mistaken, Herschel started with pebble models, but
            > ended up working a pottery wheel at
            > the eyepiece. Try it... :)

            What can I say but great minds think alike. :-)

            Tim