203mm TMB achromat refractor

  • babbalouey
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2005
      Since receiving my 152mm achro over a month ago, I've absolutely
      fallen in love with this scope. Needless to say the 9.25 C SCT hasn't
      seen much use. Just out of curiosity, is the TMB 203 mm achromat still
      available? If not, what did they go for new, just in case one should
      become available sometime used. I came across this guys website and
      this scope is awesome... he's done a great job constructing his
      observatory too:

      http://www.hobbies.privateweb.at/astro-light/TMB.htm

      Thanks guys,
      John
    • Eddy
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2005
        John, Check out the APM site in Germany: http://www.apm-telescopes.de/info.php?id=47666
        Cheers,
        Eddy

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2005
          Thomas, how does this instrument compare with the BO/TMB doublets that have eight times the color-correction of an achromat? That subsumes that this doublet is corrected better than an ordinary achromat?

          Thanks,
          Donald Rosenfield

          Subject: Re: [tmboptical] 203mm TMB achromat refractor

          John, Check out the APM site in Germany: http://www.apm-telescopes.de/info.php?id=47666
          Cheers,
          Eddy

          Since receiving my 152mm achro over a month ago, I've absolutely
          fallen in love with this scope. Needless to say the 9.25 C SCT hasn't
          seen much use. Just out of curiosity, is the TMB 203 mm achromat still
          available? If not, what did they go for new, just in case one should
          become available sometime used. I came across this guys website and
          this scope is awesome... he's done a great job constructing his
          observatory too:

          http://www.hobbies.privateweb.at/astro-light/TMB.htm

          Thanks guys,
          John

        • Mike C
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2005
            > Thomas, how does this instrument compare with the BO/TMB doublets that
            > have eight times the color-correction of an achromat? That subsumes that
            > this doublet is corrected better than an ordinary achromat?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Donald Rosenfield

            Can you buy one of those lenses Donald? I haven't been keeping close track
            on that front.
          • Mike C
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2005
              > Since receiving my 152mm achro over a month ago, I've absolutely
              > fallen in love with this scope. Needless to say the 9.25 C SCT hasn't
              > seen much use. Just out of curiosity, is the TMB 203 mm achromat still
              > available? If not, what did they go for new, just in case one should
              > become available sometime used. I came across this guys website and
              > this scope is awesome... he's done a great job constructing his
              > observatory too:
              >
              > http://www.hobbies.privateweb.at/astro-light/TMB.htm
              >
              > Thanks guys,
              > John

              The 203 f/6 refractor (and OTA) was about $5000. I'd imagine the longer 203
              would be about the same, or a few thousand $$ more if it was in the CNC
              tube with 4" focuser. I threw a page up for Markus back then showing some
              pictures of the f/6:
              http://www.scopenews.com/tmb/achromat/

              Mike
            • John D'Amico
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
                Hi Eddy,

                Thanks for the link. That is one awesome scope, not
                inexpensive but compared to the same size in an APO,
                smething of a bargain. For what I observe it would be
                perfect. On a side note, I finally received a 2"
                diagonal and a couple of Paul Rini's 2" eyepieces (26
                & 10 mm), not quite the caliber of my Nagler 22mm, but
                then much less expensive also.

                John

                --- Eddy <EddyDel5@...> wrote:

                > John, Check out the APM site in Germany:
                > http://www.apm-telescopes.de/info.php?id=47666
                > Cheers,
                > Eddy

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • John D'Amico
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
                  Hi Mike,

                  Thanks for the link. That f6 looks pretty cool, I
                  would imagine that would be a pretty nice imaging
                  scope too.

                  John

                  --- Mike C <mike@...> wrote:

                  > > Since receiving my 152mm achro over a month ago,
                  > I've absolutely
                  > > fallen in love with this scope. Needless to say
                  > the 9.25 C SCT hasn't
                  > > seen much use. Just out of curiosity, is the TMB
                  > 203 mm achromat still
                  > > available? If not, what did they go for new, just
                  > in case one should
                  > > become available sometime used. I came across this
                  > guys website and
                  > > this scope is awesome... he's done a great job
                  > constructing his
                  > > observatory too:
                  > >

                  > http://www.hobbies.privateweb.at/astro-light/TMB.htm
                  > >
                  > > Thanks guys,
                  > > John
                  >

                  > The 203 f/6 refractor (and OTA) was about $5000. I'd
                  > imagine the longer 203
                  > would be about the same, or a few thousand $$ more
                  > if it was in the CNC
                  > tube with 4" focuser. I threw a page up for Markus
                  > back then showing some
                  > pictures of the f/6:
                  > http://www.scopenews.com/tmb/achromat/
                  >
                  > Mike

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • John D'Amico
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
                    Hi All,

                    Just a quick note about the Rini eyepieces I mentioned
                    in the reply to Eddy...
                    I really liked the 26mm, panned around to M41, 35 & 36
                    some real nice open cluster views. Bodes galaxy, M42,
                    78. Very nice. It was at the Eskimo I tried the 10mm,
                    which I didn't like nearly as much. I'd recommend the
                    26mm. Sure, it's not like the Nagler 22mm there is
                    some distortion of stars around the periphery, but
                    it's much cheaper and lighter and works well on this
                    scope. One more quick look and time to pack it in,
                    it's almost dawn....

                    John

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Mike C
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
                      > Hi Mike,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the link. That f6 looks pretty cool, I
                      > would imagine that would be a pretty nice imaging
                      > scope too.
                      >
                      > John

                      I think it might be the kind of scope you could put a
                      Panoptic 41 in, and leave it forever.

                      Mike
                    • erdmanpe
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2005
                        Would the field be flat enough for such a wide field of view?

                        Peter

                        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mike@s...> wrote:

                        > > Hi Mike,
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the link. That f6 looks pretty cool, I
                        > > would imagine that would be a pretty nice imaging
                        > > scope too.
                        > >
                        > > John
                        >

                        > I think it might be the kind of scope you could put a
                        > Panoptic 41 in, and leave it forever.
                        >
                        > Mike
                      • tmboptical
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Rosenfield" <cardar@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > Thomas, how does this instrument compare with the BO/TMB doublets
                          > that have eight times the color-correction of an achromat? That
                          > subsumes that this doublet is corrected better than an ordinary
                          > achromat?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Donald Rosenfield

                          Hi Donald,

                          The TMB designed achromats do not have any better color correction
                          than what BK-7/F-2 glass can give you. The difference is the TMB
                          achromats are fully optimized (you would be surprised how many
                          achromats on the market are either not fully corrected, i.e.,
                          zero coma, the C and F color crossings are not at the 70.7%
                          zone, and the peak visual is not nulled at the correct wavelength
                          (555nm). All these things are corrected in the TMB achromats. Add
                          a high quality wavefront, smooth surfaces, and a great multicoat,
                          and it all adds up to an achromat that seems to be better than
                          what an achromat should be. It is in the details.

                          How does the BO/TMB SD doublets that have eight times the color-
                          correction compare to the TMB achromats in color correction?
                          Eight times better.

                          Regards,

                          Thomas Back
                        • David Cotterell
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                            --- babbalouey <babbalouey@...> wrote:
                            . Just out of curiosity, is the TMB 203
                            > mm achromat still
                            > available? Yes, I just got a new
                            one this July. It has first-class optics. David,
                            near Toronto...

                            > http://www.hobbies.privateweb.at/astro-light/TMB.htm
                            >
                            > Thanks guys,
                            > John

                            __________________________________
                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • gkiger1620
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                              > ... BO/TMB doublets that have eight times the color-correction of an
                              achromat >

                              Are these in production? Where can I find more info? TIA.
                            • David Cotterell
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 3, 2005
                                --- babbalouey <babbalouey@...> wrote:
                                If not, what did they go for new,

                                I paid 5000 Euros for mine including shipping to
                                Toronto. From ordering to receiving the scope took
                                only four weeks
                                which is remarkable. Any other q's, I would be
                                happy to help.
                                Are you located near enough to Toronto to perhaps
                                visit?
                                David, near Toronto.

                                __________________________________
                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • John D'Amico
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 4, 2005
                                  Hi David,

                                  Would that I were near Canada, but I'm way south of
                                  you in Lake Placid Florida. The more I use the 152mm
                                  achro I picked up recently, the more I like it... it
                                  provides a view that just can't be matched for wide
                                  field dark views that the 9.25 sct just can't touch,
                                  so I was thinking that one with more aperture would be
                                  even better. Right now I've got a lot of exploring to
                                  do with the 152, but maybe in the future...

                                  John

                                  --- David Cotterell <doublestargeezer@...>

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com