Re: Black Forest Star Party this weekend

  • Louis Marchesi
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2005
      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "klefr2" <klefr2@y...> wrote:
      > I will be there with my TMB 105/650 ready to take some great pictures.
      >
      > Hoping to see many of you there - stop and say hello.
      >
      > Looks like great weather, stay warm.
      >
      > Fred Klein

      Wow! It's that time already. Summer has been hectic. I haven't had
      much chance to observe, or read or post on this forum much.

      Talk about deja vu as we wait for Katrina to go away. Last year
      Frances dumped a bunch of rain and left the observing field a bit
      squishy -- but it cleared for the star party. I don't mean to diminish
      what has happened in the Gulf Coast ...

      Anyway, I will be there with my TMB 152 and looking forward to seeing
      and/or meeting my fellow forumites.

      Regards,
      Louis Marchesi
    • blandp11
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
        Hello Louis! I took a look through your very nice TMB 152 on Saturday
        night, thanks greatly. It was my first look through a 152 and
        needless to say, it is a very nice telescope, especially coupled to a
        binoviewer.

        Did you ever get a chance to mosey my way to look through my 160?

        I was really impressed with the nice dark skies at Cherry Spings, and
        the two nights were both good. The seeing was crap on Saturday night
        so Mars wasn't showing much for anyone, but then again one doesn't go
        to a dark sky site for the seeing, does one?

        Philip

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Louis Marchesi" <lmarchesi@y...>
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2005
          Hi Philip,

          I'm glad you enjoyed the view through the TMB152. Quite a few stopped
          by for a look in the 152 on Saturday. The Double Cluster and
          M31/32/110, along with M11, were, in my estimation, the finest of the
          binocular views of the evening.

          Thanks for stopping by. I hope you had as fine a time at the BFSP as I
          did.

          > Did you ever get a chance to mosey my way to look through my 160?

          Yes and no. After the "traffic" around my setup diminished, the
          gentleman who had set up near to me (Josh) walked over your way but I
          was either apparently too punchy to remember where you had set up or
          you had closed up shop for the evening :-(

          > The seeing was crap on Saturday night

          Indeed it was. I took a look at Mars at various powers around 3am or
          so. Some surface markings were visible but the atmosphere was
          decidedly turbulent.

          If your 160 is in the neighborhood again (I live in Chester County,
          PA, about 15 miles north of Newark, Delaware) I'd fancy a few looks.

          Regards,
          Louis Marchesi