Re: [tmboptical] Re: Tim -- re. Comet Temple image (snapshot)

  • Donald Rosenfield
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2005
      Can somebody please tell me what is the magnitude of Comet Temple now/Sunday night? I'm getting a ride to an observing party at the Virginia Science Museum and need to know if I'll be able to see it in my Questar. The comet, that is, not the impact's effect as it will be below the horizon here at that time. Or maybe should I take my 3"f5 RRFT refractor?

      Donald

      WG: Tim, NASA believes that the large amount of rock, gas and dust
      released by the (deep) impact, ejected out into the sunlight, will have a
      dramatic brightening effect which will not only be observable through
      backyard telescopes but also may even elevate the comet to naked eye
      brightness for a time.

      Wayne

    • Terry L Tuggle
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
        Donald,

        It is Mag10.5 and steady, here is a link:

        http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/%7Ejds/

        Can somebody please tell me what is the magnitude of Comet Temple now/Sunday
        night? I'm getting a ride to an observing party at the Virginia Science
        Museum and need to know if I'll be able to see it in my Questar. The comet,
        that is, not the impact's effect as it will be below the horizon here at
        that time. Or maybe should I take my 3"f5 RRFT refractor?

        Donald

        WG: Tim, NASA believes that the large amount of rock, gas and dust
        released by the (deep) impact, ejected out into the sunlight, will have a
        dramatic brightening effect which will not only be observable through
        backyard telescopes but also may even elevate the comet to naked eye
        brightness for a time.

        Wayne

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "tmboptical
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical> " on the web.

      • Donald Rosenfield
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
          Thanks, Terry. --Donald

          Donald,

          It is Mag10.5 and steady, here is a link:

          http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/%7Ejds/

        • Wayne G
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
            Mike, I think you were meaning to speak to Tim, not me, but however, comet
            Tempel 1 in Virgo is currently at magnitude 9.67 with a compact nucleus.

            Wayne

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
              Mag 9.7, Donald.

              I would maybe consider taking the RRFT as long as it can go high enough to
              get a decent view of the nucleus. If this plume works out like hoped, it
              might be too large to get all comfortably within the largest FOV of the Q,
              but should be no problem with the RRFT.

              Wayne