Question about Stellarvue

  • Dan Kaplan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2005
      Maybe this has been asked before, but just what are the differences
      between the Stellarvue SV 105 and the TMB 105/650? Are the lenses for
      both made by LZOS? I gather that the Stellarvue tube is not as nice as
      the one that Markus produces, but is that the only difference?
      Thanks.
      Dan
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2005
        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kaplan" <dkapla12@c...> wrote:
        > Maybe this has been asked before, but just what are the differences
        > between the Stellarvue SV 105 and the TMB 105/650? Are the lenses for
        > both made by LZOS?

        Yes.

        I gather that the Stellarvue tube is not as nice as
        > the one that Markus produces, but is that the only difference?

        In fact, this conclusion might be in the eye of the beholder, see
        http://www.stellarvue.com/a_outside_again_with_the_new_colorsm.jpg

        David
      • George
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2005
          Hi Dan,

          I have the SV80DL and SV115 which both have TMB designed lenses that
          are made by LZOS (as is the SV105). So the lenses are the same.

          I've not seen a Tube that Markus makes but the Stellarvue tubes are
          as good as any high end scope I've ever seen (AP, TAK, TV, etc...).
          Their machining and finish is first class as are all their
          components.

          In fact, I've read that Markus was quit impressed with the SV
          products at NEAF.

          George
          Oregon

          wrote:
          > Maybe this has been asked before, but just what are the
          differences
          > between the Stellarvue SV 105 and the TMB 105/650? Are the lenses
          for
          > both made by LZOS? I gather that the Stellarvue tube is not as
          nice as
          > the one that Markus produces, but is that the only difference?
          > Thanks.
          > Dan
        • Darren Hennig
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2005
            Dan:

            I concur with George. I have owned several SV scopes, and my current high
            end instrument is the SV105 f/6.2 Triplet APO, with the lens designed by our
            famous Tom Back ;-).

            This scope is superb. Excellent build quality, nicely finished. Vic uses
            double thick walled aluminum for the OTAs, and these look as nice [nicer,
            IMO] than many other high end APOs I have seen and looked through, including
            a Tak 90, and a 5" Starfire, both which my friend owns.

            FYI, these are great scopes. Markus spent quite a bit of time at NEAF with
            Vic Maris of SV, and is now going to be a dealer for SV in Europe. He gave a
            recent highly favorable review of the 80mm f/6 Nighthawk achromat recently
            on AM and CN.

            Darren.

            "Every star is a grain of sand in God's playground..."
          • Dan Kaplan
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2005
              Thanks to all who replied to my questions.

              Dan

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "George" <gnggreenfield@c...>