Re: [tmboptical] About the Povlick Maneuver

  • mike+eagleriver.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2005
      Funny, Donald!

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <cardar@...>
      To: <tmboptical@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2005 12:02 PM
      Subject: Re: [tmboptical] About the Povlick Maneuver

      Hi,
      Could you, please, be kind enough to explain, in more detail,
      how the Povlick Maneuver is done.

      Step 1: Stand behind your telescope

      Step 2: Grasp it firmly in the diaphragm area

      Step 3: Pull toward your chest firmly and with power

      Step 4: Your telescope should dispell what clogged it so it can breathe
      again.
    • jimhp29401us
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
        Hi Tim,
        Yes, for years I have used the variation you mention, with the OTA
        horizontal to the ground. If one person can handle the OTA your
        method sounds best.

        Jim

        > >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Guilherme de Almeida"
        > > <guilhermedealmeida@c...> wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > > Could you, please, be kind enough to explain, in more detail,
        > > how the Povlick Maneuver is done.
        >
        > This was in reference to how I was able to place the 228 on the
        mount.

        > > Step 1 :
        > Take a deep breath, concentrate on what your doing, don't drop
        that scope.

        > > Step 2:
        > Manuever the weights on the West side of the mount, the CW shaft
        > perpendicular to the ground. Place a ladder to hold the weights in
        > this position.
        >

        > > Step 3:
        > Rotate the DEC axis (rings) so they are perpendicular. to the
        ground,
        > i.e. straight up and down.
        >

        > > Step 4:
        > Bear hug the OTA holding it by the dew shield end with the dew cap
        in
        > place. One hand under the cell will keep it from slipping
        downwards.
        > the scope is vertical / perpendicular to the ground.
        >
        > Step 5:
        > Manuever OTA into rings, close tube rings and clamp.
        >
        > Step 6:
        > You can breathe again.
        >

        > Variation:
        >
        > For the 152 and 175 sized scopes a varaition would be to point the
        > rings directly away from Polaris. Hoist the OTA up on your
        shoulder,
        > almost in balance but with some weight to the front of you, holding
        > this with one hand, while the other arm wraps around the tube over
        > your shoulder. Walk up to the mount from the back (opposite the
        CWs)