Povlick Maneuver

  • Louis Marchesi
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Tim (and all),

      A while ago, shortly after Tim received the much-envied and coveted
      TMB 228, a question was raised as to how he got that massive OTA
      mounted on its mount.

      I had previously and precariously kept my comparatively small TMB152
      in its rings and hoisted the whole kit and kaboodle onto the saddle of
      my G-11. Even with the Casady dovetail this made me nervous.

      So I tried the "Povlick Maneuver" wherein I propped the declination
      shaft under a suitably tall ladder and set the tube into the rings.
      This is much easier for me.

      But, I need a way to "mark" my tube so I know where the tube should be
      positioned. How do you guys do that -- in a way that doesn't mar the
      pristine white finish of the tube? I remember Thomas mentioning a
      specialty tape that doesn't stick, but I don't know what it's called.

      BTW, Tim, I hope you don't mind my naming it the "Povlick Maneuver."
      It's difficult anticipating what might come off sounding disrespectful
      and none is intended. Kinda reminded me of the "Picard Maneuver" at
      least alliteratively.

      And good luck with those skies tonight; we here on the East Coast are
      in for a drenching :-(

      Regards,
      Louis Marchesi
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
        >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Louis Marchesi" <lmarchesi@y...
        > wrote:
        >
        > Hi Tim (and all),

        Hi Louis,

        > A while ago, shortly after Tim received the much-envied and coveted
        > TMB 228, a question was raised as to how he got that massive OTA
        > mounted on its mount.
        >
        > I had previously and precariously kept my comparatively small
        > TMB152 in its rings and hoisted the whole kit and kaboodle onto the
        > saddle of my G-11. Even with the Casady dovetail this made me
        > nervous.

        It's all realative! I used to think a meade 102 was big. Then a
        tmb152 was huge. Then a tmb 175 was a monster. Then a TMB228 was ...
        You get the picture. The 152 isn't to bad to handle if you pay attention.

        > So I tried the "Povlick Maneuver" wherein I propped the declination
        > shaft under a suitably tall ladder and set the tube into the rings.
        > This is much easier for me.

        You may wish to also try pointing the mount-rings directly away from
        polaris, putting the lens end of the tube over your shoulder and then
        placing it into the tube ring, drop one ring down and clamp. From
        there you got it made. When I had the 175, I wish I had done this.
        But either way you feel most comfortable with.

        > But, I need a way to "mark" my tube so I know where the tube should
        > be positioned. How do you guys do that -- in a way that doesn't mar
        > the pristine white finish of the tube? I remember Thomas mentioning
        > a specialty tape that doesn't stick, but I don't know what it's
        > called.

        I'm not sure what Thomas had in mind; some of this stuff:

        http://www.kaptontape.com/polyimide_tapes_1mil.html

        wouldn't mark and is very strong and would be out of the way. It's
        hand to have around the house.

        > BTW, Tim, I hope you don't mind my naming it the "Povlick
        > Maneuver." It's difficult anticipating what might come off
        > sounding disrespectful and none is intended. Kinda reminded me of
        > the "Picard Maneuver" at least alliteratively.

        No, not at all; I understand what your saying. I won't claim to have
        invented the manuever.

        > And good luck with those skies tonight; we here on the East Coast
        > are in for a drenching :-(

        I am hoping for the best. Sorry you're socked in this weekend.

        > Regards,
        > Louis Marchesi

        Clear Skies,

        ___
        Tim
      • ericj
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
          Hi Louis:

          >But, I need a way to "mark" my tube so I know where the tube should be
          >positioned. How do you guys do that -- in a way that doesn't mar the
          >pristine white finish of the tube?

          One way I do this is to just use your outstretched hand as a guide. For
          example I know for my TMB 175mm it is balanced when the distance between the
          rings and dew cap (fully extended) is roughly two of my outstretched hands
          between them. So I get the OTA up in the rings, position it so it is pointed
          horizontally, and then slide the tube until I can fit two outstretched hands
          between the rings and dew cap.

          Hope this helps,

          Eric Jamison