Re: Back From The Edge

  • rwiederrich
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
      Wayne,

      Nice to have you back Wayne.

      Rob(a frequent visitor)

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "missyy9" <fomalhaut@c...> wrote:

> [...]
      > would often see no problem with treating me or anyone else who
      dared
      > stand up to their bellicosity with the most unbecoming language and
      > unpolite, rude accusations. I grew tired of inviting such
      > boors "into my livingroom" as it were. So I left in disgust.
      >
      > In general, I have formed a rather poor opinion of the ethics of
      many
      > astronomy organizations, forums and people for the way they often
      > behave and resort so easily to the lowest denominator, rather than
      > act with the civility befitting intelligent, educated people.
      >
      > I realized at last that despite the public notoriety and reputation
      > of some of these people, that if they so easily and willingly will
      > treat others with such disrespect, they cannot be nearly as
      > intelligent or educated as they would have others think. So be it.
      >
      > By the end of 2004, I began to reflect on the possibility of
      > returning to a very few, select forums. I realized that likely, I
      > would again be subjected to, if not outright attacked, by many of
      the
      > people still around who never tire of such behavior, especially if
      > they recognized me as their old target.
      >
      > I decided to look at a very few select groups again, in lurkdom and
      > not as myself, for a complex variety of reasons, to see what was
      > going on these days, and whether or not I would want to return
      again
      > as before.
      >
      > At least as a lurker and not as myself, I would be free to look
      about
      > the group and maybe interact, and not risk further attacks aimed at
      > my character. I doubted I would choose to stay anyway.
      >
      > After due consideration, I have resolved to rejoin ONE group, maybe
      > two, rather than the 23 I used to belong to. TMB shall be that
      group.
      > But I do not want to do so as anything less than who I really am.
      > realize that inevitably, there are still some folks about who like
      > nothing more than to flame others, and sooner or later will try
      their
      > best to disrupt this forum as they always have. So be it.
      >
      > I'll try to contribute whatever little time allows me, and will
      stand
      > up for the integrity of this forum as one of the few, great,
      enduring
      > groups on the internet truly worth belonging to.
      >
      > I want to thank all those in particular who paid me many kind
      > compliments upon my leaving last fall. It was keenly appreciated.
      >
      > I see that this is a particularly good time to come back--- Tom is
      > coming out with lots of new, exciting products, and TMB is moving
      > forward into ever-greater new territories. I have no doubts that
      the
      > future of TMB is a candle that will grow ever-brighter with the
      > highest standard of astronomy-related products this world has ever

    • albireo13
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
        Welcome back Wayne. TMB is a real success story, IMO.

        What scope(s) do you have?

        Rob
        SV105 (with TMB lens)

      • mrgrytt
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
          Wayne,
          Welcome back! It's about time you came home.
          Lots of great things going on with TMB right now, and Tim will
          soon be taking delivery of his TMB 228 f/9, as you have surely read.
          The wait for the TMB 130 f/9 is coming to an end soon too.

          Harvey

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "missyy9" <fomalhaut@c...> wrote:

          > Hello TMB-Users,
          >
          > Just a short note to the group to say that I have rejoined this
          > forum.
          > I have no doubts that the future of TMB is a candle that will grow
          > ever-brighter with the highest standard of astronomy-related
          > products this world has ever seen.
          >
          > Nice to be back,
          >
          > WayneG
        • jimhp29401us
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
            And very nice to have you back too! I have certainly missed your
            posts. It will be good to have your voice around. Have you been able
            to get in any obvserving at all? The weather has been pretty awful
            lately for most of us. I'm hoping this weekend, maybe,... Anyway,
            Welcome Back Wayne!

            Jim Phillips

          • missyy9
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "jimhp29401us" <thefamily90@h...>
              wrote:

              > And very nice to have you back too! I have certainly missed your
              > posts. It will be good to have your voice around. Have you been
              able
              > to get in any obvserving at all? The weather has been pretty awful
              > lately for most of us. I'm hoping this weekend, maybe,... Anyway,
              > Welcome Back Wayne!

              Hi Jim and all, and thanks for the greetings. Sadly, very bad
              weather and work conspired a lot against me last fall, and now of
              late I've been recovering from a terrible back trauma. Ouch. I dare
              not risk the strain of setting up a big scope for now.

              But I did have occasion to observe the lunar eclipse last fall and a
              few other things, most notably recently been following the Macholz
              Comet from Taurus into Perseus, plus trying to occasionally check in
              with the goings on with my ol' friend, lovely Chronus.

              He never disappoints.

              WayneG
            • Dan Kaplan
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                Wayne, I didn't realize you were gone.

                Just kidding. Welcome back.

                Dan

> [...]
                their
                > best to disrupt this forum as they always have. So be it.
                >
                > I'll try to contribute whatever little time allows me, and will
                stand
                > up for the integrity of this forum as one of the few, great,
                enduring
                > groups on the internet truly worth belonging to.
                >
                > I want to thank all those in particular who paid me many kind
                > compliments upon my leaving last fall. It was keenly appreciated.
                >
                > I see that this is a particularly good time to come back--- Tom
                is
                > coming out with lots of new, exciting products, and TMB is moving
                > forward into ever-greater new territories. I have no doubts that
                the
                > future of TMB is a candle that will grow ever-brighter with the
                > highest standard of astronomy-related products this world has ever

              • missyy9
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "albireo13" <albireo13@h...> wrote:

                  > Welcome back Wayne. TMB is a real success story, IMO.
                  >
                  > What scope(s) do you have?

                  Hello Rob,

                  For the forseeable future:

                  Customized Celestron-14
                  Royce/Parallax 10" f/6.5 Newt w/quartz secondary
                  TMB-152 CNC #36
                  * * *
                  Also:
                  SR 8" f/2.9 Newt w/integral Ross corrector
                  Apex127 Maksutov
                  Russian Military 100mm semi-apo binoculars
                  * * *
                  Just for kicks:
                  Custom-made 90mm f/10 refractor
                  Questar Q700
                  Custom-made 80mm f/4 RFT
                  Customized 50mm SRFT
                  Canon IS 15X45 Bino
                  Canon IS 10X30 Bino
                  Zeiss Military 7X40 Bino
                  A few other things I'm cooking up. :)

                  WayneG
                • albireo13
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                    Wow!

                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "missyy9" <fomalhaut@c...> wrote:

                    > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "albireo13" <albireo13@h...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Welcome back Wayne. TMB is a real success story, IMO.
                    > >
                    > > What scope(s) do you have?
                    >
                    > Hello Rob,
                    >
                    > For the forseeable future:
                    >
                    > Customized Celestron-14
                    > Royce/Parallax 10" f/6.5 Newt w/quartz secondary
                    > TMB-152 CNC #36
                    > * * *
                    > Also:
                    > SR 8" f/2.9 Newt w/integral Ross corrector
                    > Apex127 Maksutov
                    > Russian Military 100mm semi-apo binoculars
                    > * * *
                    > Just for kicks:
                    > Custom-made 90mm f/10 refractor
                    > Questar Q700
                    > Custom-made 80mm f/4 RFT
                    > Customized 50mm SRFT
                    > Canon IS 15X45 Bino
                    > Canon IS 10X30 Bino
                    > Zeiss Military 7X40 Bino
                    > A few other things I'm cooking up. :)
                    >
                    > WayneG
                  • glasspusher2001
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                      Welcome back Wayne.
                      Where did you get the 8" f/2.9 Newtonian, and how do you like the
                      image quality?

                      Don
                    • tmboptical
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Norman L. Rubenstein" <nlr@r...>
                        wrote:>
                        > Welcome back Wayne!
                        >
                        > Norm

                        I'll second that, welcome back Wayne!

                        Thomas Back

> [...]
                        their
                        > > best to disrupt this forum as they always have. So be it.
                        > >
                        > > I'll try to contribute whatever little time allows me, and will
                        stand
                        > > up for the integrity of this forum as one of the few, great,
                        enduring
                        > > groups on the internet truly worth belonging to.
                        > >
                        > > I want to thank all those in particular who paid me many kind
                        > > compliments upon my leaving last fall. It was keenly appreciated.
                        > >
                        > > I see that this is a particularly good time to come back--- Tom
                        is
                        > > coming out with lots of new, exciting products, and TMB is moving
                        > > forward into ever-greater new territories. I have no doubts that
                        the
                        > > future of TMB is a candle that will grow ever-brighter with the
                        > > highest standard of astronomy-related products this world has ever

                        subject=Unsubscribe>
                        > > *
                        Service

                      • Rodger Raubach
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
                          Hi Wayne ,

                          And WELCOME BACK!!! I particularly enjoyed many of your posts and the necessary rejoinders following them. I , too , left several other groups last year , but not for the same reasons. I was simply getting overloaded with stupid posts by stupid people.

                          This is one of the 3 sites I still belong to , and just abiout the only one where I post regularly.

                          Cheers!

                          Rodger Raubach

                          -

                        • ej1847