Re: [tmboptical] TMB175 project, piece #1 of 3 (long)

  • Mike C
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
      > A fascinating progress report! I'm looking forward to reading parts 2 and
      > 3
      > as the work on your TMB/MC 175 advances.

      Thanks, hopefully soon.

      > What a good idea to look into model rocketry tubes (or "airframes", as
      > they
      > call them) for the telescope tube. I assume you opted for the "pre-glassed
      > phenolic airframe tube" listed on the PML web site. Is the 42-in. standard
      > length sufficient for your f/8 optics? Was the tube delivered in
      > ready-to-paint condition, or did you/will you do more sanding?

      Yes the 48" is suitable and even has to be cut down. The lens casts a
      focused
      image about 53" behind the scope. Figure a bit of length is in the lens
      adapter
      (1/2") and a bit in the focuser adapter (1/2") and a lot in the focuser
      (8"+?) and
      you still want to cut some of the tube off to provide 8" of in-focus when
      fully
      racked in. Public Missiles told me the tubes are almost ready to paint. I'll
      leave that decision to the painter, an automotive painter this time instead
      of
      aeroframe. To me, it's smooth as a babies bottom already.

      > Hey, I found a picture of your red scope on Robin Casady's web site
      > yesterday: <http://www.robincasady.com/Astro/users/ClemensRedscope.jpg>.
      > This was a 6-in. scope, correct? What will you be using to support the
      > 175?

      Yes that is one of the two 6" scopes, the white one went to Vienna, Austria.

      > Good luck with your project,

      Thanks!
      Mike

      > Eric Baumgartner
      > Redding, CT USA

    • Mike C
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
        > Great Report Mike!
        >
        > I wish you all the success on your adventure building this monster.

        Thank you, Bob.

        > I have had mine for a week and a bit now but unfortunately, the sky
        > gods have been a little nasty with rain, snow and sleet.
        >
        > Well, I have a little patience up my sleeve. Just a little.

        I have to say this has been a doosey of an overcast Winter here.
        Maybe I'll luck out by the time the scope is complete.

        Mike
      • Michael Downing
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
          No I don't mean a whole tube just the fiberglass sections them self

          Michael Downing

          www.astroden.com <http://www.astroden.com/>

          _____

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
            Michael--did you mean AP focuser is not avaliable. I didn't fully understand.

          • rpbrpbrpb1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
              Im sorry Michael I read your post & thought it was to me

            • Mike C
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005

                > No I don't mean a whole tube just the fiberglass sections them self
                >
                > Michael Downing
                >
                > www.astroden.com <http://www.astroden.com/>

                I did price pieces a bit, and Markus was helpful, but I gathered he
                had to work with a 3rd party to produce custom quotes on the
                individual bits and pieces so I gave up in favor of just sourcing the
                parts.

                Big winner this time around has been Ebay and the Yarde metals
                drop zone, for having odd bits of 6061 in perfectly suited diameters
                and thicknesses for being starting pieces for the three custom aluminum
                rings.

                For my dewshield, I totally lucked out and found a generous soul
                who had a complete TMB175 dewshield for sale! Thats some one-
                of-a-kind luck there.

                Mike
              • wjburg
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Mike,

                  Well thought as all your projects. One question to keep in mind,
                  some (most older) phenolics are hydroscopic, be sure the entire tube
                  is dry and then sealed for stability.

                  GOOD SHOW,
                  bill

                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mike@e...> wrote:

                  > I picked a phenolic tube also like the TMB's, but a
                  > fiberglassed phenolic as used in high end amateur rocketry:
                  > http://www.scopenews.com/tmb175/tube/phenolic1.jpg
                  > http://www.scopenews.com/tmb175/tube/phenolic2.jpg
                  > (See the thin layer of fiberglass in phenolic2.jpg)
                  >
                  > That tube is light as can be, and strong as all get-out. Super
                  > high quality, from: http://www.publicmissiles.com/

                • Mike C
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
                    > Mike,
                    >
                    > Well thought as all your projects. One question to keep in mind,
                    > some (most older) phenolics are hydroscopic, be sure the entire tube
                    > is dry and then sealed for stability.
                    >
                    > GOOD SHOW,
                    > bill

                    Thanks Bill!
                    I'll be sure and seal the interior surfaces once the paintjob has been
                    applied
                    and dried.

                    Mike
                  • glasspusher2001
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
                      Mike,

                      an amazing first rate job you're doing.
                      How much do you expect this to cost?

                      Don
                      > I think Markus wanted like $4000.. it was a problem for me after the
                      > lens purchase.
                      >
                      > Mike
                    • Mike C
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005

                        > Mike,
                        >
                        > an amazing first rate job you're doing.
                        > How much do you expect this to cost?

                        Thanks! I hope it turns out that way.

                        Probably 2 thousand in parts and labor and
                        shipping would be my guess to a finished tube.

                        Mike