Piggyback adapter

  • Louis Marchesi
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
      Greetings all,

      Have any of you piggy-backed a camera (SLR or otherwise) using your
      TMB scope rings?

      I have the TV "Piggycam" adapter, but the "U" portion of the adapter
      is designed to slide into the clamshell grove and the mounting hole is
      just slightly too small to accomodate 1/4-20 I need to attach to the
      TMB tube rings.

      I have searched in vain for something to use in my setup but have come
      up empty.

      Happy New Year to one and all,
      Louis Marchesi
    • erdmanpe
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
        I attached a Losmandy dovetail plate to the top of my tube rings.
        Then with one of their camera mounting adapters I can position the
        camera anywhere along its length.

        Peter

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Louis Marchesi" <lmarchesi@y...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
          >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Louis Marchesi" wrote:
          >
          > Greetings all,

          Hi Louis,

          > Have any of you piggy-backed a camera (SLR or otherwise) using your
          > TMB scope rings?

          Yes, I have used a 2 axis camera mount from Losmandy (CDM1) and made a
          custom adapter to attach it to the tube rings.

          I see you already have a TV camera mount, but you could consider:

          1) make an adapter (plate) for it to attach to the ring.
          2) drill the hole out larger for 1/4-20
          3) get a AstroPhysics: Piggyback Camera Bracket with Flat Base(PGBCBR)
          drill the tube ring at 3.0" centers for #10-32 tapped hole (2)
          4) drill the TV hole out to 5/16" and attach the camera at the end of
          your G-11 counterweight shaft. This has the added benefit of the
          camera acting as a counterweight rather than requiring more CW to make
          up for the camera on top of the scope. A small cmaera that far from
          the axis has a lot of moment arm. This is how I use do my wide field.
          In fact you get two photos in one go; prime focuse and wide field.

          > I have the TV "Piggycam" adapter, but the "U" portion of the adapter
          > is designed to slide into the clamshell grove and the mounting hole
          > is just slightly too small to accomodate 1/4-20 I need to attach to
          > the TMB tube rings.
          >
          > I have searched in vain for something to use in my setup but have
          > come up empty.

          If you get really - really - stuck let me know off.

          > Happy New Year to one and all,
          > Louis Marchesi

          Clear / Dark Skies,

          Tim
        • Jon Kolb
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2005
            Hi Louis,

            > Have any of you piggy-backed a camera (SLR or otherwise) using your
            > TMB scope rings?
            >
            > I have the TV "Piggycam" adapter, but the "U" portion of the adapter
            > is designed to slide into the clamshell grove and the mounting hole is
            > just slightly too small to accomodate 1/4-20 I need to attach to the
            > TMB tube rings.
            >
            > I have searched in vain for something to use in my setup but have come
            > up empty.

            In addition to the other suggestions you've received, note that it is often
            possible to attach a standard tripod head to the end of your counterweight
            shaft, since some of these have 3/8-16 threads in the end. A ball head is
            easiest to use.

            Jon Kolb
            Adventures in Astrophotography
            http://home.datawest.net
            jkolb@...
            Life Member, International Dark Sky Association