Kids and telescopes

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi

      I don't usually post here but wanted to comment on Mathew's mention
      of his kid brother messing with his scope in his absence.

      This really is a no-no. Scopes are heavy when mounted and have a
      very high centre of gravity. Tripods are geometrically unstable and
      fall over in a breeze. If the scope survives the fall a kid might
      not recover from a counterweight hitting him on the head.

      Then there is the eternal problem of solar observing. You go in for
      an accessory and come out to find you kid sister has removed the
      solar filter and is peering into an empty drawtube....

      Be *very* careful out there.

      Let's keep it a Happy New Year.

      Best regards to all.
      Chris.B
    • Norman L. Rubenstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
        Dear Chris:

        Thank you for making/stressing an important point that all too often can be
        neglected. Your warning is all too true, and is even more important if and
        when you volunteer to bring your scope to a public star party, especially
        one being held at/for a primary school. (You must be constantly vigilant
        with the children ­ and even their parents) :-))

        Please feel free to post more often!

        Happy New Year,

        Norm

        On 1/1/05 5:22 AM, "Chris" <chris.b@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I don't usually post here but wanted to comment on Mathew's mention
        > of his kid brother messing with his scope in his absence.
        >
        > This really is a no-no. Scopes are heavy when mounted and have a
        > very high centre of gravity. Tripods are geometrically unstable and
        > fall over in a breeze. If the scope survives the fall a kid might
        > not recover from a counterweight hitting him on the head.
        >
        > Then there is the eternal problem of solar observing. You go in for
        > an accessory and come out to find you kid sister has removed the
        > solar filter and is peering into an empty drawtube....
        >
        > Be *very* careful out there.
        >
        > Let's keep it a Happy New Year.
        >
        > Best regards to all.
        > Chris.B

      • Michael Downing
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
          Happy New Year everybody
          I hope this year brings good health, lots of money and happiness along with
          clear skies to everyone

          Oh and may you get the scope of your dreams this year too
          My goal is a 8" 9 " or 10" this year :-)

          LOL (still a little dizzy from the champaign last night)
          Michael Downing
          www.astroden.com <http://www.astroden.com/>