HELP - Potential Serious Problem with my TMB115 LW

  • Matthew Hodgson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
      I would have liked my first post to this forum to have said how
      pleased I am with my new scope, but unfortuntely I have encountered a
      problem I have never seen before and am looking to the experience of
      this group for help while I try to get in contact with the shop I
      purchased it from in the UK (not easy over the festive season).

      I am unable to get the scope to show even the slightest hint of
      coming to focus with any eyepiece I use. I am using a Televue
      Everbrite diagonal, and used the flowing eyepieces. A Celestron Axiom
      40mn, a 17mn Type 4 Nagler, a 10mn Radian and a 7mn Nagler.

      Even with the feathertouch focuser completely racked out, there is no
      sign of the image coming to focus.

      HELP!!!!!!

      Matthew Hodgson

      TMB115 LW
      Nexstar 11GPS
    • Mike Fitterman
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
        Have you pulled the tube that holds the focuser out the required 6
        inches (i.e. it's not using the feather touch. The feather touch
        focuser itself needs to be pulled out 6" not the tube it focuses) ?

        There should be a little nob where the focuser attaches to the
        telescope and this will allow you to pull the tube out. Then you can
        rack the focuser out from there to acheive focus.

        Hope this helps.

        Mike.

        On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:50:30 -0000, Matthew Hodgson
        <dirksteele1@...> wrote:

        > I would have liked my first post to this forum to have said how
        > pleased I am with my new scope, but unfortuntely I have encountered a
        > problem I have never seen before and am looking to the experience of
        > this group for help while I try to get in contact with the shop I
        > purchased it from in the UK (not easy over the festive season).
        >
        > I am unable to get the scope to show even the slightest hint of
        > coming to focus with any eyepiece I use. I am using a Televue
        > Everbrite diagonal, and used the flowing eyepieces. A Celestron Axiom
        > 40mn, a 17mn Type 4 Nagler, a 10mn Radian and a 7mn Nagler.
        >
        > Even with the feathertouch focuser completely racked out, there is no
        > sign of the image coming to focus.
        >
        > HELP!!!!!!
        >
        > Matthew Hodgson
        >
        > TMB115 LW
        > Nexstar 11GPS
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Michael Downing
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
          I know this sounds like a dumb thing but check that you don't have a semi
          clear cover on the diag or EP

          I had this happen to me a while back where I was pulling my hair out in the
          dark trying to figure out what was going on and when I decided to give up
          and call it a night is when I realized I had a cover over the diag

          Michael Downing
          www.astroden.com <http://www.astroden.com/>

          _____

          I would have liked my first post to this forum to have said how
          pleased I am with my new scope, but unfortuntely I have encountered a
          problem I have never seen before and am looking to the experience of
          this group for help while I try to get in contact with the shop I
          purchased it from in the UK (not easy over the festive season).

          I am unable to get the scope to show even the slightest hint of
          coming to focus with any eyepiece I use. I am using a Televue
          Everbrite diagonal, and used the flowing eyepieces. A Celestron Axiom
          40mn, a 17mn Type 4 Nagler, a 10mn Radian and a 7mn Nagler.

          Even with the feathertouch focuser completely racked out, there is no
          sign of the image coming to focus.

          HELP!!!!!!

          Matthew Hodgson

          TMB115 LW
          Nexstar 11GPS

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129g6pfvt/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705082806:HM/EXP=1104198607/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/compa
          nion.yahoo.com> click here

          :HM/A=2128215/rand=331474712>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Mike Fitterman
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
            See my web site:

            http://mysite.verizon.net/cutshot/tmb/

            Check out the differences in the pictures between the 3rd and 4th
            links. the 3rd has the scope folded up. The 4th has it full extended

            Mike.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 2004
              >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Downing" <michael@s...
              > wrote:

              Congrats on the new scope Matthew, Santa was good to you. I'm still
              waiting for Santa to find his way to my home. :-(

              > I know this sounds like a dumb thing but check that you don't have a
              > semi clear cover on the diag or EP
              >
              > I had this happen to me a while back where I was pulling my hair out
              > in the dark trying to figure out what was going on and when I
              > decided to give up and call it a night is when I realized I had a
              > cover over the diag

              Yep, did this stunt also but in the daylight. Some of us at work
              brought our scopes in to show the Mercury transit years ago and in
              front of co-workers and astro friends I managed to leave the cap on a
              12mm Nagler. I was so embarrased.

              ___
              Tim

              > Michael Downing
              > www.astroden.com <http://www.astroden.com/>
              >

              > _____

            • Guilherme de Almeida
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 2004
                Hi

                YOu must rack the draw tube out.
                First untight the lateral screw.
                Good skies.
                Guilherme de Almeida

                > I would have liked my first post to this forum to have said how
                > pleased I am with my new scope, but unfortuntely I have encountered a
                > problem I have never seen before and am looking to the experience of
                > this group for help while I try to get in contact with the shop I
                > purchased it from in the UK (not easy over the festive season).
                >
                > I am unable to get the scope to show even the slightest hint of
                > coming to focus with any eyepiece I use. I am using a Televue
                > Everbrite diagonal, and used the flowing eyepieces. A Celestron Axiom
                > 40mn, a 17mn Type 4 Nagler, a 10mn Radian and a 7mn Nagler.
                >
                > Even with the feathertouch focuser completely racked out, there is no
                > sign of the image coming to focus.
                >
                > HELP!!!!!!
                >
                > Matthew Hodgson
                >
                > TMB115 LW
                > Nexstar 11GPS
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Matthew Hodgson
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
                  Santa was good to me. Thanks for everyone jumping to my aid, and
                  now for anyone compiling a set of comedy in astronomy stories, here
                  is what happened......

                  Set up my lovely new scope, and I did fully extend out the
                  feathertouch focuser. But what have I forgotten....my eyepieces.
                  So off I go inside to fetch them. It would seem my little brother
                  (a very curious guy), decided to have a play while I was inside and
                  he pushed the focuser at least some of the way back in. I then come
                  back out, notice nothing, and then have 30 minutes of hell as I
                  cannot get the scope to focus.

                  A couple of hours later after I sent my cry of help I noticed what
                  had happened and managed to get him to admit his part in my
                  nightmare. He is now under strict instructions not to touch unless
                  I am with him!

                  I can now say what an amazing scope it is. Having always used
                  larger scopes with restrictive fields it was a joy to observe M45
                  and the Double Cluster in a single field and the optics are as good
                  as I have ever seen.

                  Happy new year to all

                  Matthew

                  .--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@s...>
                  wrote:

                  > >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Downing" <michael@s...
                  > > wrote:
                  >
                  > Congrats on the new scope Matthew, Santa was good to you. I'm
                  still
                  > waiting for Santa to find his way to my home. :-(
                  >

                  > > I know this sounds like a dumb thing but check that you don't
                  have a
                  > > semi clear cover on the diag or EP
                  > >
                  > > I had this happen to me a while back where I was pulling my hair
                  out
                  > > in the dark trying to figure out what was going on and when I
                  > > decided to give up and call it a night is when I realized I had a
                  > > cover over the diag
                  > >

                  > Yep, did this stunt also but in the daylight. Some of us at work
                  > brought our scopes in to show the Mercury transit years ago and in
                  > front of co-workers and astro friends I managed to leave the cap
                  on a
                  > 12mm Nagler. I was so embarrased.
                  >
                  > ___
                  > Tim
                  >

                  > > Michael Downing
                  > > www.astroden.com <http://www.astroden.com/>
                  > >

                  > > _____

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  Service

                • Robert Anderson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
                    Mathew

                    I can share your pain and your eventual enjoyment. I have also had
                    the TMB 115LW for almost a year and when it came time to go up in
                    size, all of the competing products out there could not meet my
                    expectations or needs like a larger TMB, (portability, minimal
                    alignment demands, cooling requirements and quality of product).

                    Enjoy your new scope, and teach the little guy how to use it. There
                    is a universe of wonder out there for both of you.

                    Cheers and all the best.

                    Bob

                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Hodgson"