TMB News - LZOS

  • tmboptical
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
      The lost lens shipment finally turned up, after talking
      with my customs clearance agent for half the afternoon.
      She had to trace every stop from Russia (we don't do it
      this way normally, Markus ships the lenses from Germany),
      and it normally takes 7 to 9 days from Germany to Cleveland,
      but it has been 16 days already, and I have to tell you I
      was really starting to worry (Bob's 7" and Tim's 9" lens
      is in this shipment, among other TMB lenses).

      She could not say when they will be able to load the
      truck and get the shipment to my shop, but I will try
      and find out tomorrow. If something can go wrong, it
      probably will. One good thing is that LZOS double wood
      crates the lenses, and with an oversized outer box,
      and special packing material, I have no worries about
      shipping damage. My problem will be getting that monster
      crate off the truck!

      BTW, where is everybody? I know Tim is at work, working
      16 hour days, and Norm is going to the hospital (I hope
      you feel better Norm), so they can't post.

      Jim and all other imagers, the Moon is in a great position
      for imaging, so let's see some images, if you have the skies
      and time for it. Thanks.

      Thomas Back
    • Mike C
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
        > BTW, where is everybody? I know Tim is at work, working
        > 16 hour days, and Norm is going to the hospital (I hope
        > you feel better Norm), so they can't post.

        I'm in a "boot camp" for the next 10 days preparing for the CCNE
        exam (a network engineering certification), 12 hours a day with
        90 minutes commuting on either side of it. In my spare time I plan
        to breathe and eat, I'll be moderating the forum to a much smaller
        time window during this period so Tim and Norm should watch
        their emails.

        Glad to hear your lens shipment arrived. My 175 is still sitting in my
        file cabinet waiting for my "free time" which has been robbed of me
        for months.

        Mike
      • Jack Kramer
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
          From: "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@...>
          > Jim and all other imagers, the Moon is in a great position
          > for imaging, so let's see some images, if you have the skies
          > and time for it. Thanks.

          Okay, Thomas, you forced my hand! I just uploaded an image of the moon showing Mare Orientale. Although I took this image back in 2002, libration has again placed Mare Orientale in a favorable position for observing this coming week.

          Jack Kramer
          Lily Lake, Illinois
          http://home.att.net/~jak.stargate/wsb/index.html
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@a...
            > wrote:
            >
            > The lost lens shipment finally turned up, after talking
            > with my customs clearance agent for half the afternoon.
            > She had to trace every stop from Russia (we don't do it
            > this way normally, Markus ships the lenses from Germany),
            > and it normally takes 7 to 9 days from Germany to Cleveland,
            > but it has been 16 days already, and I have to tell you I
            > was really starting to worry (Bob's 7" and Tim's 9" lens
            > is in this shipment, among other TMB lenses).

            Weeeehhhh - that's scary!! I didn't know the shipment was lost in
            space. I'll rest a lot easier once you bench test that lens.

            > She could not say when they will be able to load the
            > truck and get the shipment to my shop, but I will try
            > and find out tomorrow. If something can go wrong, it
            > probably will. One good thing is that LZOS double wood
            > crates the lenses, and with an oversized outer box,
            > and special packing material, I have no worries about
            > shipping damage. My problem will be getting that monster
            > crate off the truck!

            Just drop if off the tailgate.
            You could break into the big box to make it easier. Good luck.

            > BTW, where is everybody? I know Tim is at work, working
            > 16 hour days, and Norm is going to the hospital (I hope
            > you feel better Norm), so they can't post.

            Hope Norm is okay. My work hours settled back to more normal,
            although I caught some nasty sore throat / cold bug.

            > Jim and all other imagers, the Moon is in a great position
            > for imaging, so let's see some images, if you have the skies
            > and time for it. Thanks.

            Speaking of imaging and Jim, I just noticed in the latest Astronomy
            mag, page 54 of Saturn taken by the Hubble Space Telescope is not much
            better than Jim's posting.

            > Thomas Back

            TiM
          • Jack Kramer
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
              Forgot to mention that my Mare Orientale image is on the tmboptical Yahoo site under Photos/Astropics.

              Jack Kramer
              Lily Lake, Illinois
              http://home.att.net/~jak.stargate/wsb/index.html
            • jimhp29401us
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                Hi Tom,
                I've got the time but boy the sky will just not cooperate. I am
                heading back to the Farm tomorrow. Hopefully...

                Jim Phillips

                > The lost lens shipment finally turned up, after talking
                > with my customs clearance agent for half the afternoon.
                > She had to trace every stop from Russia (we don't do it
                > this way normally, Markus ships the lenses from Germany),
                > and it normally takes 7 to 9 days from Germany to Cleveland,
                > but it has been 16 days already, and I have to tell you I
                > was really starting to worry (Bob's 7" and Tim's 9" lens
                > is in this shipment, among other TMB lenses).
                >
                > She could not say when they will be able to load the
                > truck and get the shipment to my shop, but I will try
                > and find out tomorrow. If something can go wrong, it
                > probably will. One good thing is that LZOS double wood
                > crates the lenses, and with an oversized outer box,
                > and special packing material, I have no worries about
                > shipping damage. My problem will be getting that monster
                > crate off the truck!
                >
                > BTW, where is everybody? I know Tim is at work, working
                > 16 hour days, and Norm is going to the hospital (I hope
                > you feel better Norm), so they can't post.
                >
                > Jim and all other imagers, the Moon is in a great position
                > for imaging, so let's see some images, if you have the skies
                > and time for it. Thanks.
                >
                > Thomas Back
              • APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                  > She could not say when they will be able to load the
                  > truck and get the shipment to my shop, but I will try
                  > and find out tomorrow. If something can go wrong, it
                  > probably will. One good thing is that LZOS double wood
                  > crates the lenses, and with an oversized outer box,
                  > and special packing material, I have no worries about
                  > shipping damage. My problem will be getting that monster
                  > crate off the truck!

                  Just drop if off the tailgate.
                  You could break into the big box to make it easier. Good luck.

                  Concerning weigh of these crates with apos so they are 49 - 50 kgs and you can handle them by yourself. It is no necessary to hire a crane :-)

                • Philippe VERCOUTTER
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Thomas, & List,

                    I think a first indication of the sharpness and overall quality of my 175
                    f/8 TMB can be seen in this image:
                    http://astrid.astrolab.be/jsp/zoek.jsp?arg=HP6X9764 (left is the original
                    image, right is the processed image). This Moon image was made on November
                    20th, 2004. The set of 2 images do also shw how much there is to be gained
                    from digital processing.
                    Click on the T-symbol you find below each preview to obtain more technical
                    details.

                    Philippe

                    At 07:22 2/12/2004, you wrote:

                    >The lost lens shipment finally turned up, after talking
                    >with my customs clearance agent for half the afternoon.
                    >She had to trace every stop from Russia (we don't do it
                    >this way normally, Markus ships the lenses from Germany),
                    >and it normally takes 7 to 9 days from Germany to Cleveland,
                    >but it has been 16 days already, and I have to tell you I
                    >was really starting to worry (Bob's 7" and Tim's 9" lens
                    >is in this shipment, among other TMB lenses).
                    >
                    >She could not say when they will be able to load the
                    >truck and get the shipment to my shop, but I will try
                    >and find out tomorrow. If something can go wrong, it
                    >probably will. One good thing is that LZOS double wood
                    >crates the lenses, and with an oversized outer box,
                    >and special packing material, I have no worries about
                    >shipping damage. My problem will be getting that monster
                    >crate off the truck!
                    >
                    >BTW, where is everybody? I know Tim is at work, working
                    >16 hour days, and Norm is going to the hospital (I hope
                    >you feel better Norm), so they can't post.
                    >
                    >Jim and all other imagers, the Moon is in a great position
                    >for imaging, so let's see some images, if you have the skies
                    >and time for it. Thanks.
                    >
                    >Thomas Back
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • jimhp29401us
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                      Hi Jack,
                      That's a very nice image! I understand Mare Orienbtale is going to
                      be well placed over the next few/several days. Great job!

                      Jim Phillips

                      > Forgot to mention that my Mare Orientale image is on the
                      tmboptical Yahoo site under Photos/Astropics.

                      > Jack Kramer
                      > Lily Lake, Illinois
                      > http://home.att.net/~jak.stargate/wsb/index.html
                    • Ray Byrne
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                        On Thursday, December 2, 2004, at 02:51 pm, Jack Kramer wrote:

                        > Forgot to mention that my Mare Orientale image is on the tmboptical
                        > Yahoo site under Photos/Astropics.
                        >
                        > Jack Kramer
                        > Lily Lake, Illinois
                        > http://home.att.net/~jak.stargate/wsb/index.html

                        Hi Jack,

                        I stumbled across your site recently when doing a Google search on the
                        Mewlon 300 and I really enjoyed your article about the perfect scope
                        (especially as I too own a TMB152). I've just clicked through to look
                        at your Mare Orientale image and realised I'd seen it recently and had
                        a bit more of a look around. I then realised I'd downloaded a picture
                        of you with your scope when I got mine nearly 12 months ago now (sad I
                        know but I've got a gallery of other TMB owners with their scopes).

                        Ray Byrne
                        in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
                        T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk

                      • Jack Kramer
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                          From: "Ray Byrne" <ray@...>
                          > I then realised I'd downloaded a picture
                          > of you with your scope when I got mine nearly 12 months ago now (sad I
                          > know but I've got a gallery of other TMB owners with their scopes).

                          Ray,

                          Obviously, you didn't download the picture because of my good looks ... just the good looks of the TMB152! :-)

                          Jack Kramer
                          Lily Lake, Illinois
                          http://home.att.net/~jak.stargate/wsb/index.html
                        • ericj
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                            Hi Jack:

                            >Forgot to mention that my Mare Orientale image is on the tmboptical Yahoo
                            site under Photos/Astropics.

                            Nice image, I hope to observe Mare Orientale this week if the weather
                            cooperates. Favorable lunar libration recently helped to make it easier to
                            see some small lunar mares near Mare Crisium including Mare Undarum, Mare
                            Spumans, Firmicus, Dubiago, Condorcet, and Langrenus.

                            As an FYI to the group there will be another occultation of Jupiter by the
                            moon on Thursday morning, December 9th visible in eastern and central North
                            America:

                            http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/occultations/article_1380_1.asp

                            Should be neat to watch or image. Maybe Jim Phillips will have better
                            weather next week.

                            Clear Skies,

                            Eric
                          • Ray Byrne
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                              On Thursday, December 2, 2004, at 04:45 pm, Philippe VERCOUTTER wrote:

                              > Thomas, & List,
                              >
                              > I think a first indication of the sharpness and overall quality of my
                              > 175
                              > f/8 TMB can be seen in this image:
                              > http://astrid.astrolab.be/jsp/zoek.jsp?arg=HP6X9764 (left is the
                              > original
                              > image, right is the processed image). This Moon image was made on
                              > November
                              > 20th, 2004. The set of 2 images do also shw how much there is to be
                              > gained
                              > from digital processing.
                              > Click on the T-symbol you find below each preview to obtain more
                              > technical
                              > details.
                              >
                              > Philippe

                              Hi Philippe,

                              Sorry but I find your site very confusing, as what you suggested above
                              and what I see is different?

                              I do use a Macintosh so that could be the reason but I doubt it. When I
                              click your link I get your home page (which is a frameset) and on the
                              left are 2 links, the first one shows an absolutely wonderful, crisp,
                              contrasty image of the moon like a view out of a space ship window and
                              the one below shows the same area of the Lunar landscape but softer,
                              more blurry and coloured a bit greenish.

                              There is no T symbol? but a magnifying glass at the end of each link
                              which gives data, but the technical details you suggested might be
                              there aren't!

                              I'm going to fire-up my PC laptop to see if it looks different on that.

                              Amazing image on the first link though wow!

                              ------------------------------

                              5 minutes later...

                              Sure enough on the PC it is as you describe although the images look
                              nicer on my Mac.

                              This sort of thing really pi��es my off though. Why won't this render
                              properly on my Mac? It's some sort of proprietary Windows driven thing
                              no doubt (no offense to you Philippe). I hate being maginalised for
                              choosing the best operating system available. We have chosen the best
                              telescopes available supposing we could'nt see the same sky that Meade
                              telescopes could because they had a monopoly on it GRRRRR!

                              ATB

                              Ray Byrne
                              in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
                              T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk

                            • Robert Anderson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                                Hi Philippe

                                I am waiting patiently for my wonderful scope to arrive as is Tim and
                                the shot you took is very satisfying during the wait.

                                I have received the other 2 pieces of my new setup, the Paramount ME
                                and the PWT Monolith, (have had for over 3 weeks now), but not a
                                single good night to go out and image even with the TMB 115LW.

                                Imaginge the pain when all three parts are together and can't be used
                                due to weather, then watch me whine like a little baby.

                                I guess I better get the wife dressed up for another clear sky dance,
                                (in our early years of marriage, it was the dance of the seven veils,
                                now all I ask for is the dance for clear skies).

                                Or, ask you kindly to keep shooting the good stuff for me.

                                Cheers

                                Bob

                                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Philippe VERCOUTTER
                                <philippe.vercoutter@a...> wrote:

                                > Thomas, & List,
                                >
                                > I think a first indication of the sharpness and overall quality of
                                my 175
                                > f/8 TMB can be seen in this image:
                                > http://astrid.astrolab.be/jsp/zoek.jsp?arg=HP6X9764 (left is the
                                original
                                > image, right is the processed image). This Moon image was made on
                                November
                                > 20th, 2004. The set of 2 images do also shw how much there is to be
                                gained
                                > from digital processing.
                                > Click on the T-symbol you find below each preview to obtain more
                                technical
                                > details.
                                >
                                > Philippe
                                >
                                > At 07:22 2/12/2004, you wrote:
                                >

                                > >The lost lens shipment finally turned up, after talking
                                > >with my customs clearance agent for half the afternoon.
                                > >She had to trace every stop from Russia (we don't do it
                                > >this way normally, Markus ships the lenses from Germany),
                                > >and it normally takes 7 to 9 days from Germany to Cleveland,
                                > >but it has been 16 days already, and I have to tell you I
                                > >was really starting to worry (Bob's 7" and Tim's 9" lens
                                > >is in this shipment, among other TMB lenses).
                                > >
                                > >She could not say when they will be able to load the
                                > >truck and get the shipment to my shop, but I will try
                                > >and find out tomorrow. If something can go wrong, it
                                > >probably will. One good thing is that LZOS double wood
                                > >crates the lenses, and with an oversized outer box,
                                > >and special packing material, I have no worries about
                                > >shipping damage. My problem will be getting that monster
                                > >crate off the truck!
                                > >
                                > >BTW, where is everybody? I know Tim is at work, working
                                > >16 hour days, and Norm is going to the hospital (I hope
                                > >you feel better Norm), so they can't post.
                                > >
                                > >Jim and all other imagers, the Moon is in a great position
                                > >for imaging, so let's see some images, if you have the skies
                                > >and time for it. Thanks.
                                > >
                                > >Thomas Back
                                > >

                                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Philippe VERCOUTTER
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                                  Hi Ray,

                                  I will send your message to my team of website developers. Normally, the
                                  sites we deelop should also work fine under MAC OS. I'll find out why it
                                  does not work in this particular case. Thanks for making the point.

                                  I am happy you like my moon photo!

                                  Philippe

                                • jimhp29401us
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                                    Those are beautiful lunar images Philippe. Very nice detail!
                                    Excellent.

                                    Jim Phillips