Re: 105/650 question

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
      The 105 CNC , even a bit on the heavy side is such increditble
      short, that the GM 8 handle it like a Queen

      We plan to make this week a shipment to TMB, if your decision comes
      in time ( next days) we could ship 1 pc from our stock to TMB for
      you :-)

      other questions will be fair to be answered by customers and owners
      only not by me as seller

      best wishes
      Markus

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <pokersilverking@y...>
      wrote:

      > How does this scope compare with the AP Traveler?
      >
      > I'm on the Traveler waiting list, but as I further investigate the
      perfect travel scope for me,
      > I find that the TMB 105 starts to take on some very impressive
      characteristics.

      > Can anybody comment on any positives, or negatives with this scope?
      >
      > I'm interested in the CNC version, as I'm really making this my
      scope for the next decade
      > of longer. I've come a long way to realizing that this size and
      this type of scope is perfect
      > for me.
      > Anything bigger, and I'll just leave it in the box on
      cold/windy/ugly nights......I know
      > myself to well!
      >
      > There was a time when I wouldn't budge on a Traveler, but the
      105/650 CNC actually
      > seems to better the AP in a few areas.
      >
      > I'm also wondering how this scope might work with a Losmandy GM-
      8.....the one
      > thing this scope is, is a bit heavy, so I'm wondering if the GM-8
      would be adequate for
      > webcam of planets or stacked digi SLR shots.
      >
      > How long are people waiting to take delivery of this scope?
      >
      > I'm new to this group, and to TMB's, so thanks for any guidance.
    • Craig Stark
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
        Tim covered the points well, so I'll just add a smidge. In
        particular, to see shots taken through the TMB 105, head on over to:
        http://www.panther-observatory.com/

        Johannes is a regular here and takes such consistently beatiful shots
        that I am in complete awe. If anyone ever had any concern with the
        optical quality, I'd show them one of his shots.

        I've got a "lightweight" version of the scope that is just fantastic.
        I've not used the CNC version and by all accounts it is outstanding.
        For me, the added weight and added cost were both negatives that were
        not counteracted enough by the high "fondle factor" of the CNC tube.
        To each his own, however.

        If you've not seen them, you should check out the reviews on CN:
        http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews/tmb105.htm (on a GM-8 even)
        http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews/tmb-feather.htm

        Personally, if given the choice between an AP Traveler on a long wait
        list or the TMB effectively now, the TMB wins hands down. The
        hypothetical choice between the two here and now at the same price is
        a much tougher call as both are fantastic scopes.

        Craig
      • Eddie
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
          You might also take a look at Stellarvue's version of the TMB105; it
          is similar to the TMB lightweight. I have this one and it is
          awesome. The Feathertouch focuser is a dream, making focus "snap-to".

          Eddie

          wrote:

          > How does this scope compare with the AP Traveler?
          >
          > I'm on the Traveler waiting list, but as I further investigate the
          perfect travel scope for me,
          > I find that the TMB 105 starts to take on some very impressive
          characteristics.

          > Can anybody comment on any positives, or negatives with this scope?
          >
          > I'm interested in the CNC version, as I'm really making this my
          scope for the next decade
          > of longer. I've come a long way to realizing that this size and
          this type of scope is perfect
          > for me.
          > Anything bigger, and I'll just leave it in the box on
          cold/windy/ugly nights......I know
          > myself to well!
          >
          > There was a time when I wouldn't budge on a Traveler, but the
          105/650 CNC actually
          > seems to better the AP in a few areas.
          >
          > I'm also wondering how this scope might work with a Losmandy GM-
          8.....the one
          > thing this scope is, is a bit heavy, so I'm wondering if the GM-8
          would be adequate for
          > webcam of planets or stacked digi SLR shots.
          >
          > How long are people waiting to take delivery of this scope?
          >
          > I'm new to this group, and to TMB's, so thanks for any guidance.
        • mrgrytt
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
            wrote:

            > How does this scope compare with the AP Traveler?

            Very very well.

            > I'm on the Traveler waiting list, but as I further investigate
            > the perfect travel scope for me, I find that the TMB 105 starts
            > to take on some very impressive characteristics.

            I also was on the Traveler waiting list a few years ago and was
            looking for something similar to use while waiting. I didn't really
            know much about TMB at the time A fellow whose name I won't mention
            sent me an e-mail suggesting that I consider a TMB 105/650. He also
            said that when he got his TMB 105/650 he got rid of his Traveler
            because he liked the TMB so much better.
            When I received my 105/650 I have never been more impressed with
            a scope..... until I got my TMB 175.

            > Can anybody comment on any positives, or negatives with this scope?

            There aren't any negatives to report. It is a fantastic scope.

            > I'm interested in the CNC version,

            I am very parital to the original TMB CNC tubes and think they
            were the best ever made by anyone. Hopefully the new style CNC tubes
            are just as good or even better, if that's possible.
            With the original CNC tube and 3 inch focuser you would need to
            be sure you get either a 30mm or 60mm focuser extension tube, in
            addition to the 100mm extension that comes with the scope. The 60mm
            is probably the best one to get. With the new CNC tubes I don't
            believe you would have to worry about the extra extension.

            > There was a time when I wouldn't budge on a Traveler, but the
            > 105/650 CNC actually seems to better the AP in a few areas.

            There is nothing that will ever make me part with mine.
            Regardless, the Traveler you were waiting on is now a thing of the
            past.

            > I'm also wondering how this scope might work with a Losmandy
            > GM-8 ...the one thing this scope is, is a bit heavy, so I'm
            > wondering if the GM-8 would be adequate for webcam of planets
            > or stacked digi SLR shots.

            I can't answer that for sure but I've seen a number of them on
            GM-8s.

            > How long are people waiting to take delivery of this scope?

            That is a question for Thomas to answer.

            Harvey
          • APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
              the 4" CNC Modells are continued, don't worry

              :-)

              > How does this scope compare with the AP Traveler?

              Very very well.

              > I'm on the Traveler waiting list, but as I further investigate
              > the perfect travel scope for me, I find that the TMB 105 starts
              > to take on some very impressive characteristics.

              I also was on the Traveler waiting list a few years ago and was
              looking for something similar to use while waiting. I didn't really
              know much about TMB at the time A fellow whose name I won't mention
              sent me an e-mail suggesting that I consider a TMB 105/650. He also
              said that when he got his TMB 105/650 he got rid of his Traveler
              because he liked the TMB so much better.
              When I received my 105/650 I have never been more impressed with
              a scope..... until I got my TMB 175.

              > Can anybody comment on any positives, or negatives with this scope?

              There aren't any negatives to report. It is a fantastic scope.

              > I'm interested in the CNC version,

              I am very parital to the original TMB CNC tubes and think they
              were the best ever made by anyone. Hopefully the new style CNC tubes
              are just as good or even better, if that's possible.
              With the original CNC tube and 3 inch focuser you would need to
              be sure you get either a 30mm or 60mm focuser extension tube, in
              addition to the 100mm extension that comes with the scope. The 60mm
              is probably the best one to get. With the new CNC tubes I don't
              believe you would have to worry about the extra extension.

              > There was a time when I wouldn't budge on a Traveler, but the
              > 105/650 CNC actually seems to better the AP in a few areas.

              There is nothing that will ever make me part with mine.
              Regardless, the Traveler you were waiting on is now a thing of the
              past.

              > I'm also wondering how this scope might work with a Losmandy
              > GM-8 ...the one thing this scope is, is a bit heavy, so I'm
              > wondering if the GM-8 would be adequate for webcam of planets
              > or stacked digi SLR shots.

              I can't answer that for sure but I've seen a number of them on
              GM-8s.

              > How long are people waiting to take delivery of this scope?

              That is a question for Thomas to answer.

              Harvey

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Get unlimited calls to

              U.S./Canada