Re: [tmboptical] Misc

  • rander3127@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
      tmboptical@egroups.com writes:

      >But NOTHING was as dramatic
      > as seeing the comet impacts on Jupiter
      > rotate into view!  I could see them in
      > a small refractor (70mm) clear as day.
      > -Rich

      Rich,

      I sure wish I had a scope back then for that
      one.  <very long sigh>

      It was kind of thrilling.  I put my SCT and
      small refractor out back to take a look,
      but was watching TV while they acclimated.
      They put the live pictures on the television
      from either the Hubble or an observatory
      so I went out back and looked.  No one knew
      what to expect as far as visible "hits" was concerned.  The obviousness
      of the impact areas shocked me.  More and more
      it looked like Jupiter's atmosphere was behaving
      more like a liquid mix than a gas mix.
      -Rich
    • Tom DeMary
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
        --- In tmboptical@egroups.com, rander3127@a... wrote:

        > It was kind of thrilling. I put my SCT and
        > small refractor out back to take a look,
        > but was watching TV while they acclimated.
        > They put the live pictures on the television
        > from either the Hubble or an observatory
        > so I went out back and looked. No one knew
        > what to expect as far as visible "hits" was
        > concerned. The obviousness
        > of the impact areas shocked me. More and more
        > it looked like Jupiter's atmosphere was behaving
        > more like a liquid mix than a gas mix.
        > -Rich

        I was out with my old C-8 for the first impact. A couple
        of non-astronomical friends and I watched for about an
        hour to see if there was anything to see. We did not see
        anything, so we ate ice cream for consolation, not that we
        expected to see anything. After ice cream, I took another
        look and spotted a "pin hole," much tinier than the shadow
        of a satellite, which had rotated onto the Jovian disk.
        My companions could see it too, but I would not call it
        obvious. By the next night however, the pin holes had swollen
        to look like dark bruises -- those were obvious, and unexpected,
        as I recall. Now that I have my TMBs, I am waiting for another
        comet or asteriod to hit something.

        Tom DeMary
      • Tim Povlick
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
          --- In tmboptical@egroups.com, "Tom DeMary" <demary@a...> wrote:
          > as I recall. Now that I have my TMBs, I am waiting for another
          > comet or asteriod to hit something.
          >
          > Tom DeMary

          As long as it doesn't hit the Earth!!