Re: [tmboptical] BFSP

  • Richard Chalfan
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
      Did you know there is someone on this list that
      doesn't know what BFSP is?

      Mmmm. I didn't. I finally went to Google and typed
      it in and found that it was the Black Forest Star
      Party. As a west coast US resident for many years, I
      am unfamiliar with many midwest and east coast events.
      I know what Stelafane, and the Texas and Florida
      events are but that is about it from the eastern US.
      I suspect it might be worse for non-US folks.

      It is possible that someone wrote out what BFSP was
      and I missed it. Sorry if I didn't read closely
      enough. But I for one wouldn't mind at least an
      initial post helping me out with the achronyms.

      Of course I have been to the TMSP, OSP and RTMC (Table
      Mountain, Oregon and Riverside respectively), but have
      never been to any starfests further east.

      Right now I could use a bit of cooler weather though,
      and it would be fun (though too expensive) to go up to
      the Black Forest event. It was 82 F when I went to
      bed at 11pm last night (as it is almost every night).
      I have almost forgotten summer nights where the
      temperature drops into the 60's, or Arizona evenings
      in the mountains where it can get sub freezing after
      90 degree plus days!

      Clear skies,

      Richard

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
    • W. Gondella
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
        You Got It.

        Wayne E. Gondella
        Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

        > Why should Norm have all the vicarious fun? Please share your BFSP photos
        > with everyone on the group, so that we can all be there in spirit.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Eric Baumgartner
        > Redding, CT USA
      • W. Gondella
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
          > Mmmm. I didn't. I finally went to Google and typed
          > it in and found that it was the Black Forest Star
          > Party. As a west coast US resident for many years, I
          > am unfamiliar with many midwest and east coast events.
          > I know what Stelafane, and the Texas and Florida
          > events are but that is about it from the eastern US.
          > I suspect it might be worse for non-US folks.
          >
          > It is possible that someone wrote out what BFSP was
          > and I missed it. Sorry if I didn't read closely
          > enough. But I for one wouldn't mind at least an
          > initial post helping me out with the achronyms.

          WG: Hi Richard. Mmmm, isn't Google grand?! Actually, I'm sure we mentioned BFSP by
          name many times maybe a long while back, but you probably forgot. Anyway, Cherry Springs
          is supposed to be the darkest spot on the eastern seaboard. Anyway, I'll make you a
          deal--- you get yourself to Pittsburgh (pretty easy--- major hub for US Air), and I'll
          get you to BFSP and back, and put you up in a room (if you don't mind an inflatable
          mattress)! Free.

          How's that?

          WayneG
        • Mike C
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
            > WG: Hi Richard. Mmmm, isn't Google grand?! Actually, I'm sure we mentioned BFSP by
            > name many times maybe a long while back, but you probably forgot. Anyway, Cherry Springs
            > is supposed to be the darkest spot on the eastern seaboard. Anyway, I'll make you a
            > deal--- you get yourself to Pittsburgh (pretty easy--- major hub for US Air), and I'll
            > get you to BFSP and back, and put you up in a room (if you don't mind an inflatable
            > mattress)! Free.
            >
            > How's that?
            >
            > WayneG

            But it says that BFSP is full, no more registrations, doesn't that mean, no more people?

            Mike
          • W. Gondella
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2004
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                > This is a public park. Used to be that you could just show up the day of the Party and
                > register.
                > WayneG

                Wow, Captain Kirk (priceline.com) says for $520, I can fly into Harrisburg on the 9th and fly back to Anchorage on the 13th.... I've
                got lots of relatives in Watsontown and Milton. Quite tempting!
              • W. Gondella
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 14, 2004
                    Hello All!

                    This was my third Black Forest Star Party, and while all of them
                    were great, this one was the best one of the three, for me. I had
                    concerns that I might not be able to make it, but with the help
                    of Harvey, Tim, Wayne, Dan, Bill Burgess, his friend Saul and
                    others, they all made the difference for me. And no one pressured
                    me to stand too long. It was just the opposite, if one of them saw
                    me talking too long standing, they would bring me my chair. When
                    you are as sick as I was, and get help like this, you really know
                    who your friends are. Thanks very much guys. A special thanks
                    goes out to Tim, for having a custom TMB Optical T-shirt made
                    for me, as a gift. Maybe Tim will sell them?

                    There were a few TMB apochromats on the field, and I had a great
                    time talking to the owners. I would not be surprised if there were
                    as many TMBs as AP apos there. I didn't get a chance to cover the
                    entire field, but the largest instrument (that Wayne mentioned),
                    was a 32 inch dob, that was very impressive. It had remote control
                    collimation at the eyepiece, a honeycomb mirror for quick cool-
                    down, and filtered fans that blew across the mirror, 3 rear fans,
                    and other unique features.

                    Friday night was the best night, with excellent transparency.
                    There were no light domes to be seen anywhere, and the Milky
                    Way was seen from horizon to horizon. I think this was the
                    second best night I have seen from this site, the best was the
                    first year, on Saturday night, when a Canadian front came down
                    and made the skies deep blue. That night, I would estimate that
                    with good eyesight and concentration, it was a 6.7 mag night.
                    Friday this year, when that crazy single street light went off
                    (it was on and off all night, and no, it wasn't being lazed off),
                    again, with good eyesight and concentration near the zenith, I
                    estimated it was a 6.4 to 6.6 mag night, quite stunning when you
                    live under 4.5 to 5.0 mag skies, and they are typically worse.

                    Of all the telescopes and objects I saw on both nights, the thing
                    I will remember the most is the view through Lou Marchesi's 152mm
                    f/7.9 TMB apochromat, on a very steady Losmandy G-11 GO-TO, and
                    a TeleVue 31mm Nagler. The object was M45. In all my years of
                    observing, this is the one object that I never really had a
                    superb view of. It is always the problem of the bright stars
                    scattering, and not knowing if you are seeing the nebulosity,
                    or instrument scatter. This view of the Pleiades was a whole
                    different ball game. Not only was the Pleiades framed perfectly,
                    but for the first time, it wasn't scatter, but real nebulosity,
                    with Merope showing considerable detail. I want to thank Lou for
                    bringing his TMB, and allowing us to see a bunch of great views
                    with it. The 7" TMB was set up for imaging (with some very
                    impressive equipment), so we could not use it visually.

                    Bill Burgess and I (mostly Bill and Saul) showed some of our new
                    TMB products, and there was a lot of interest. Bill and I are
                    working very hard to bring a new line of TMB designed products,
                    that are above the competition, but also at a lower price, so the
                    average amateur can afford real high quality refractors, without
                    robbing their 401K plans.

                    Some of the products will be state of the art, most will be below
                    the TMB/APM level, but I feel great that Bill and I will be able
                    to make affordable, high quality refractors (no achromats), that
                    will be optically and mechanically superior to anything out there,
                    in its price range. The TMB/APM SD apochromats will still be the
                    pinnacle of design and the highest performance apos on the market,
                    for people that want the very best. It is just time to introduce
                    a more affordable line of TMB products too. I think you will be
                    very impressed with these new Burgess/TMB products.

                    I want to end where I began. This star party would not have been
                    possible for me if it wasn't for my friends, which I am deeply
                    appreciative, and it was a great time for all. I hope we all can
                    make it (and hopefully some more TMB Group members) next year.
                    And BTW, the food is great in town! I can't wait.

                    Thomas Back
                  • nils_schoultz
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 15, 2004
                      Thanks for the report, Thomas, sorry to hear that your back is still
                      troubling you so much. Normally I would not ask about business
                      details, but since you and Markus have already given us more detail
                      than most members wanted to hear, I have to ask about something that
                      worries me. Do the new products you mention producing with Burgess
                      mean that you are stopping working with APM? I ask because I have
                      been very happy with the quality of my LOMO sourced telescope and
                      Berliner Glass made eyepieces, and hope that future TMB products will
                      be of the same high level. I don't know Burgess, and have never
                      bought anything from him, but as far as I understand, he doesn't
                      actually make any optics. So far, he seems to have been a middleman
                      for mass produced Chinese binoculars, telescopes and eyepieces. I
                      really don't want to start a Burgess for-and-against argument here,
                      but I think it is safe to say that for many people, your name demands
                      a lot more respect than his does. There are a lot of disappointed
                      Burgess customers posting on the internet, and I've yet to see a
                      disappointed TMB customer. It's your business, of course, not ours,
                      but since you have made so much of it public here, I hope you don't
                      mind me encouraging you to continue with LZOS and LOMO making your
                      telescopes for as long as possible. My 80/600 has been fantastic, and
                      I look forward to buying a 130mm sometime.
                      thanks again,
                      Nils

                    • Louis Marchesi
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 15, 2004
                        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@a...> wrote:

                        >> This was my third Black Forest Star Party, and while all of them
                        were great, this one was the best one of the three, for me.

                        I agree. My first one was the 2002 one as well, although at that time
                        I had just started getting back "into" astronomy. I was visiting my
                        hometown (about one hour to the south) and my future wife and I
                        attended on Saturday night -- yes, the aurora night!

                        >> There were a few TMB apochromats on the field, and I had a great
                        time talking to the owners.

                        It's funny, because, as you know, I brought #118 (my TMB152) and I
                        figured I be "king" of the refractors. Just my luck, someone pulls up
                        to set up camp adjacent to me and has a TMB 175 ;^) As you pointed
                        out, though, he was imaging the entire time and was a nice guy to boot.

                        >> Of all the telescopes and objects I saw on both nights, the thing I
                        will remember the most is the view through Lou Marchesi's 152mm f/7.9
                        TMB apochromat, on a very steady Losmandy G-11 GO-TO, and a TeleVue
                        31mm Nagler. The object was M45.

                        That was an outstanding view. As a matter of fact I had many, many
                        outstanding views through this scope over the weekend -- the Double
                        Cluster, M31/32/110, M27, M57, M33 -- the list goes on and on.

                        >> I want to thank Lou for bringing his TMB, and allowing us to see a
                        bunch of great views with it.

                        Actually, the thanks go to you for crafting such an outstanding optic.
                        All I did was point the thing.

                        We did see some neat views, including M27, M11, and M13 through my
                        scope using Wayne's I3 eyepiece.

                        One thing I never figured out, though, was the point of "stac king"
                        OIII filters (remember Al Nagler experimenting with that?).

                        >> I hope we all can make it (and hopefully some more TMB Group
                        members) next year.

                        So do I, but it comes to mind that Cherry Springs State Park is there
                        ALL year long. For those of use within 5 hours' drive or so it's not
                        out of the question to go there more than once a year.

                        It was a pleasure to meet the TMB group members in person and share
                        some viewing time.

                        And Thomas, I was glad to see you again as well. I have to admit, it
                        was somewhat of a surreal experience having you AND Al Nagler waiting
                        for EP time at my scope.

                        Regards,
                        Louis Marchesi
                        New London Township, PA
                      • W. Gondella
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 15, 2004
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 15, 2004
                            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Louis Marchesi" <lmarchesi@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@a...> wrote:
                            >
                            > >> This was my third Black Forest Star Party, and while all of them
                            > were great, this one was the best one of the three, for me.
                            >
                            > I agree. My first one was the 2002 one as well, although at that time
                            > I had just started getting back "into" astronomy. I was visiting my
                            > hometown (about one hour to the south) and my future wife and I
                            > attended on Saturday night -- yes, the aurora night!

                            I recall that one also, a great Aurora.

                            > >> There were a few TMB apochromats on the field, and I had a great
                            > time talking to the owners.
                            >
                            > It's funny, because, as you know, I brought #118 (my TMB152) and I
                            > figured I be "king" of the refractors. Just my luck, someone pulls up
                            > to set up camp adjacent to me and has a TMB 175 ;^) As you pointed
                            > out, though, he was imaging the entire time and was a nice guy to boot.

                            I was so glad to see so much TMB glass on the field. There were also
                            some 105/650's scattered about. Thanks you so much Lou for making
                            yours so available, especially to those of us who can't bring their own.

                            > >> Of all the telescopes and objects I saw on both nights, the thing I
                            > will remember the most is the view through Lou Marchesi's 152mm f/7.9
                            > TMB apochromat, on a very steady Losmandy G-11 GO-TO, and a TeleVue
                            > 31mm Nagler. The object was M45.
                            >
                            > That was an outstanding view. As a matter of fact I had many, many
                            > outstanding views through this scope over the weekend -- the Double
                            > Cluster, M31/32/110, M27, M57, M33 -- the list goes on and on.

                            Agreed!

                            > >> I want to thank Lou for bringing his TMB, and allowing us to see a
                            > bunch of great views with it.
                            >
                            > Actually, the thanks go to you for crafting such an outstanding optic.
                            > All I did was point the thing.
                            >
                            > We did see some neat views, including M27, M11, and M13 through my
                            > scope using Wayne's I3 eyepiece.
                            >
                            > One thing I never figured out, though, was the point of "stac king"
                            > OIII filters (remember Al Nagler experimenting with that?).
                            >
                            > >> I hope we all can make it (and hopefully some more TMB Group
                            > members) next year.
                            >
                            > So do I, but it comes to mind that Cherry Springs State Park is there
                            > ALL year long. For those of use within 5 hours' drive or so it's not
                            > out of the question to go there more than once a year.
                            >
                            > It was a pleasure to meet the TMB group members in person and share
                            > some viewing time.
                            >
                            > And Thomas, I was glad to see you again as well. I have to admit, it
                            > was somewhat of a surreal experience having you AND Al Nagler waiting
                            > for EP time at my scope.

                            That was an interesting state of affairs. I know the pressure was on
                            you to find certain objects with Al, Thomas, et. al. standing around
                            waiting for you to find it. :-)

                            > Regards,
                            > Louis Marchesi
                            > New London Township, PA

                            Thanks again for the use of your scope and it was a pleasure to meet
                            you and all the other TMB members.

                            Tim Povlick
                            San Diego, CA
                          • tmboptical
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 15, 2004
                              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "nils_schoultz"
                              <nils_schoultz@y...> wrote:
                              > Thanks for the report, Thomas, sorry to hear that your back is still
                              > troubling you so much. Normally I would not ask about business
                              > details, but since you and Markus have already given us more detail
                              > than most members wanted to hear, I have to ask about something that
                              > worries me. Do the new products you mention producing with Burgess
                              > mean that you are stopping working with APM? I ask because I have
                              > been very happy with the quality of my LOMO sourced telescope and
                              > Berliner Glass made eyepieces, and hope that future TMB products
                              > will be of the same high level.

                              Nils,

                              Nothing is changing with TMB/APM. We are still 100% together making
                              what we feel is the best corrected optical systems available. TMB
                              Optical is as active as ever selling TMB telescopes, eyepieces,
                              Barlows, and accessories. Why would you think just because I am
                              expanding my line, they I would drop my own line of products? I am
                              very pleased to hear that you are so happy with your TMB products.

                              > I don't know Burgess, and have never bought anything from him,
                              > but as far as I understand, he doesn't actually make any optics.

                              Bill Burgess is one of the nicest, hardest working guys in the
                              business. Markus Ludes doesn't make my optics either, so I fail to
                              see why that is important. Just like Markus six years ago, Bill
                              needed an optical designer, one that really understands how to push
                              the envelope in optical design, and contrary to some of what my
                              competitors say, understands what designs will work in the real
                              world, and can be made by opticians, not complex designs that
                              are great on the computer, but are impossible to make in an optical
                              shop setting.

                              > So far, he seems to have been a middlemanfor mass produced Chinese
                              > binoculars, telescopes and eyepieces. I really don't want to start
                              > a Burgess for-and-against argument here, but I think it is safe to
                              > say that for many people, your name demands a lot more respect
                              > than his does.

                              I appreciate your words, but no Burgess/TMB product will ever be
                              release until I test the production units, which BTW, will be in
                              the next few days on our first telescope. Bill's tests the last
                              two days have shown that my first design is working well over our
                              expectations -- in fact, so much so, that I can't tell you how
                              excited I am about these new products.

                              > There are a lot of disappointed Burgess customers posting on the
                              > internet, and I've yet to see a disappointed TMB customer. It's
                              > your business, of course, not ours, but since you have made so
                              > much of it public here, I hope you don't mind me encouraging you
                              > to continue with LZOS and LOMO making your telescopes for as long
                              > as possible. My 80/600 has been fantastic, and I look forward to
                              > buying a 130mm sometime.

                              Again, don't worry about TMB products, they are not only available
                              from TMB Optical, but we have improved them, and new products on
                              coming on line.

                              I don't want to speak too deeply about Bill's business, but we have
                              been working together for over one year now, yes, one year. Bill
                              has found a new, fantastic optical and new mechanical supplier.
                              With my optical guidance, together we are putting everything we
                              know into these new products. People at the BFSP were treated to
                              just a few of these new products, and we plan on improving what
                              was shown at the star party, as those were the first prototypes.
                              Bill was so impressed with my new doublet design (not an achromat)
                              that he has decided to drop all his achromats. When our new products
                              come out, I don't think there will be any disappointed Burgess
                              customers, or TMB customers. Just wait until you see what our new,
                              unique products, that Bill and I have worked on. I think they will
                              surprise even the most skeptical.

                              I just want to add one last thing. It is time for TMB Optical to
                              move forward. That means that the current TMB line will improve,
                              and a whole new line of Burgess/TMB products will be added. The
                              two will compliment each other, and will offer a standard of quality
                              to people that cannot afford a $8000.00 6" refractor. I feel very
                              proud about being able to do this, as I will be able to supply the
                              very best for people that can afford it, and open up very high
                              quality products for people that could only afford low price
                              achromats in the past. This is a win/win situation for everyone.
                              Who can complain about that?

                              Thomas Back
                            • Louis Marchesi
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 16, 2004
                                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "W. Gondella" <strehl985@c...> wrote:

                                > I didn't catch Russ's last name, if you know it could you post it
                                here? He was from NYC
                                > but I think originally from Germany.

                                Wayne,

                                The guy with the TMB175, Russ, is Russ Tashbaev and he is from Staten
                                Island (originally from the Ukraine, for the record :-)

                                He posted some images he captured at the BFSP. Here is the link:

                                http://www.bfsp.org/starparty/bfsp2004/index.htm

                                In case Yahoo! butchers the link, go to www.bfsp.org and near the top
                                of the home page is a link to some pretty cool photos from this year,
                                including Russ's. I liked the aerial photos taken with a camera
                                attached to a model airplane.

                                Regards,
                                Louis Marchesi
                                New London Township, PA
                              • tmboptical
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 16, 2004
                                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Louis Marchesi" <lmarchesi@y...>
                                  wrote:

                                  Hi Lou,

                                  > I agree. My first one was the 2002 one as well, although at that
                                  time
                                  > I had just started getting back "into" astronomy. I was visiting my
                                  > hometown (about one hour to the south) and my future wife and I
                                  > attended on Saturday night -- yes, the aurora night!

                                  Yes, who could forget that aurora! It was the best I have ever
                                  viewed in my life. It was a pleasure to meet your wife that first
                                  year, I wish she could have made it this year.

                                  > It's funny, because, as you know, I brought #118 (my TMB152) and I
                                  > figured I be "king" of the refractors. Just my luck, someone pulls
                                  up
                                  > to set up camp adjacent to me and has a TMB 175 ;^) As you pointed
                                  > out, though, he was imaging the entire time and was a nice guy to
                                  boot.

                                  Yes, he was. I was even surprised when I was told that someone had
                                  a 7" TMB at the star party.

                                  > That was an outstanding view. As a matter of fact I had many, many
                                  > outstanding views through this scope over the weekend -- the Double
                                  > Cluster, M31/32/110, M27, M57, M33 -- the list goes on and on.

                                  All those objects were fantastic. It is amazing what a 6" glass can
                                  do, when the skies are that dark.

                                  > Actually, the thanks go to you for crafting such an outstanding
                                  optic.
                                  > All I did was point the thing.

                                  You're very welcome.

                                  > We did see some neat views, including M27, M11, and M13 through my
                                  > scope using Wayne's I3 eyepiece.

                                  Wayne's I3 eyepiece was sure fun to use. It presents a whole new
                                  way to see the sky.

                                  > One thing I never figured out, though, was the point of "stac king"
                                  > OIII filters (remember Al Nagler experimenting with that?).

                                  That was a failure in my opinion. I think because his OIII filter
                                  has a wider bandpass than the Lumicon, he was trying to get more
                                  contrast with two. It may have worked somewhat with the 32", but
                                  it is always better to use the least amount of elements in a
                                  system that gets the job done right, and I think Al's OIII filter
                                  has its place, with its more natural view, and the Lumicon with its
                                  higher contrast.

                                  > So do I, but it comes to mind that Cherry Springs State Park is
                                  there
                                  > ALL year long. For those of use within 5 hours' drive or so it's not
                                  > out of the question to go there more than once a year.

                                  Agreed. When I have more time, and feel better, I plan on driving
                                  up there, for nothing but pure observing enjoyment. It's good to
                                  know that site is an official dark sky site for astronomy, and that
                                  the local police know if you on the field, that is OK.

                                  > It was a pleasure to meet the TMB group members in person and share
                                  > some viewing time.
                                  >
                                  > And Thomas, I was glad to see you again as well. I have to admit, it
                                  > was somewhat of a surreal experience having you AND Al Nagler
                                  waiting
                                  > for EP time at my scope.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Louis Marchesi
                                  > New London Township, PA

                                  The timing was perfect, what can I say? Al was his good old self,
                                  and we had a good time talking about optics. I know Al was very
                                  impressed with your scope.

                                  Thomas Back
                                • W. Gondella
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 16, 2004
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 16, 2004
                                      > The guy with the TMB175, Russ, is Russ Tashbaev and he is from Staten
                                      > Island (originally from the Ukraine, for the record :-)
                                      >
                                      > He posted some images he captured at the BFSP. Here is the link:
                                      >
                                      > http://www.bfsp.org/starparty/bfsp2004/index.htm
                                      >
                                      > In case Yahoo! butchers the link, go to www.bfsp.org and near the top
                                      > of the home page is a link to some pretty cool photos from this year,
                                      > including Russ's. I liked the aerial photos taken with a camera
                                      > attached to a model airplane.

                                      Thanks for the info Lou. Some nice pictures in there but I think you will like mine even
                                      better! :) I am working with Mike C right now to see if I can put them on a better
                                      link than Yahoo. Will let you guys (and gals) know when they're up.

                                      WayneG
                                    • tmboptical
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 16, 2004
                                        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "W. Gondella" <strehl985@c...>

                                        Dear Wayne,

                                        Your words are much appreciated. Yes, we not only designed the TMB
                                        apochromats for their optical quality, but also to be mechanically
                                        different than the other top brands (although it would appear that
                                        one of them is closely copying a lot of our features, in a future
                                        apo product). With a little care, the TMB scopes will be around
                                        working like the day they were new, when we all long gone. I want
                                        my telescopes to be handed down to the next generations. That gives
                                        the owner value that goes beyond what the telescope does for them
                                        today.

                                        > > This is a win/win situation for everyone.
                                        > > Who can complain about that?
                                        >
                                        > WG: The competition, I would think. I can honestly tell you that
                                        TMB and related
                                        > products are quickly becoming the new industry standard. The
                                        next few years will be
                                        > something to watch.
                                        >
                                        > WayneG

                                        Quite right! The competition will have to deal with these new
                                        products. Of course, I was speaking about it being a win situation
                                        with my customers.

                                        BTW Wayne, I cleared out about 10 megs of dated images out of the
                                        photo section, so you now have room to put your images in.

                                        Thomas Back
                                      • tmboptical
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 16, 2004
                                          In answering Nils Schoultz's question about the Burgess/TMB
                                          products, I did forget to mention that Vic Maris from Stellarvue
                                          is also a part of the TMB/APM business group. Vic is building
                                          some very fine telescopes, using the exact same TMB lenses that
                                          are in the TMB apochromats. So for all you Stellarvue owners,
                                          APM Telescopes is providing the TMB lenses for your superb
                                          apo telescopes. And you can count on Vic to make sure that you
                                          will be happy with your telescope, because Vic is also a hard
                                          worker, and really cares about his customers.

                                          Thomas Back
                                        • Mike C
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 16, 2004
                                            > In answering Nils Schoultz's question about the Burgess/TMB
                                            > products, I did forget to mention that Vic Maris from Stellarvue
                                            > is also a part of the TMB/APM business group. Vic is building
                                            > some very fine telescopes, using the exact same TMB lenses that
                                            > are in the TMB apochromats. So for all you Stellarvue owners,
                                            > APM Telescopes is providing the TMB lenses for your superb
                                            > apo telescopes. And you can count on Vic to make sure that you
                                            > will be happy with your telescope, because Vic is also a hard
                                            > worker, and really cares about his customers.
                                            >
                                            > Thomas Back

                                            I saw a TMB powered SV105 on Astromart the other day for $2450,
                                            it caused me great pain to not buy...
                                          • W. Gondella
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 16, 2004
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 17, 2004
                                                Thomas,

                                                Perhaps another way of stating this is to say for all you propective
                                                TMB owners, Stellarvue offers another source of superb apos using TMB
                                                lenses. I've had a chance to view through Vic's version of the
                                                152mm/f7.9, 115mm/f7, and a couple of 80mm/f7.5 TMB optics, and they
                                                were impeccable. He also does the 105mm/f6.19 and 80mm/f6, but I
                                                haven't had a chance to personally get an eyeball on those models.

                                                Jim

                                                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@a...> wrote:
                                                > In answering Nils Schoultz's question about the Burgess/TMB
                                                > products, I did forget to mention that Vic Maris from Stellarvue
                                                > is also a part of the TMB/APM business group. Vic is building
                                                > some very fine telescopes, using the exact same TMB lenses that
                                                > are in the TMB apochromats. So for all you Stellarvue owners,
                                                > APM Telescopes is providing the TMB lenses for your superb
                                                > apo telescopes. And you can count on Vic to make sure that you
                                                > will be happy with your telescope, because Vic is also a hard
                                                > worker, and really cares about his customers.
                                                >
                                                > Thomas Back
                                              • Eddie
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 17, 2004
                                                  I agree with you Jim; if you care to come to Alabama, I'll give you
                                                  the opportunity to view through my very nice Stellarvue/TMB 105.

                                                  Eddie Kirkland

                                                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Carpenter" <carp.jm@c...>
                                                  wrote:
                                                  > Thomas,
                                                  >
                                                  > Perhaps another way of stating this is to say for all you
                                                  propective
                                                  > TMB owners, Stellarvue offers another source of superb apos using
                                                  TMB
                                                  > lenses. I've had a chance to view through Vic's version of the
                                                  > 152mm/f7.9, 115mm/f7, and a couple of 80mm/f7.5 TMB optics, and
                                                  they
                                                  > were impeccable. He also does the 105mm/f6.19 and 80mm/f6, but I
                                                  > haven't had a chance to personally get an eyeball on those models.
                                                  >
                                                  > Jim
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@a...>
                                                  wrote:
                                                  > > In answering Nils Schoultz's question about the Burgess/TMB
                                                  > > products, I did forget to mention that Vic Maris from Stellarvue
                                                  > > is also a part of the TMB/APM business group. Vic is building
                                                  > > some very fine telescopes, using the exact same TMB lenses that
                                                  > > are in the TMB apochromats. So for all you Stellarvue owners,
                                                  > > APM Telescopes is providing the TMB lenses for your superb
                                                  > > apo telescopes. And you can count on Vic to make sure that you
                                                  > > will be happy with your telescope, because Vic is also a hard
                                                  > > worker, and really cares about his customers.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thomas Back
                                                • Jim Carpenter
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 17, 2004
                                                    I'd love to take you up on that, Eddie, but unfortunately Alabama is a
                                                    long way from Denver. I hope you made it through Ivan OK.

                                                    Jim

                                                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie" <kirkland5245@e...> wrote:
                                                    > I agree with you Jim; if you care to come to Alabama, I'll give you
                                                    > the opportunity to view through my very nice Stellarvue/TMB 105.
                                                    >
                                                    > Eddie Kirkland
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Carpenter" <carp.jm@c...>
                                                    > wrote:
                                                    > > Thomas,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Perhaps another way of stating this is to say for all you
                                                    > propective
                                                    > > TMB owners, Stellarvue offers another source of superb apos using
                                                    > TMB
                                                    > > lenses. I've had a chance to view through Vic's version of the
                                                    > > 152mm/f7.9, 115mm/f7, and a couple of 80mm/f7.5 TMB optics, and
                                                    > they
                                                    > > were impeccable. He also does the 105mm/f6.19 and 80mm/f6, but I
                                                    > > haven't had a chance to personally get an eyeball on those models.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Jim
                                                    > >

                                                    > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@a...>
                                                    > wrote:
                                                    > > > In answering Nils Schoultz's question about the Burgess/TMB
                                                    > > > products, I did forget to mention that Vic Maris from Stellarvue
                                                    > > > is also a part of the TMB/APM business group. Vic is building
                                                    > > > some very fine telescopes, using the exact same TMB lenses that
                                                    > > > are in the TMB apochromats. So for all you Stellarvue owners,
                                                    > > > APM Telescopes is providing the TMB lenses for your superb
                                                    > > > apo telescopes. And you can count on Vic to make sure that you
                                                    > > > will be happy with your telescope, because Vic is also a hard
                                                    > > > worker, and really cares about his customers.
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Thomas Back
                                                  • Eddie
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 18, 2004
                                                      We made it through Ivan just fine, except for a few limbs in the
                                                      yard and no cable. If the Rocky Mtn. Star Stare and my wife's
                                                      vacation coincide, I'll bring the 105 to you.

                                                      Eddie

                                                      wrote:
                                                      > I'd love to take you up on that, Eddie, but unfortunately Alabama
                                                      is a
                                                      > long way from Denver. I hope you made it through Ivan OK.
                                                      >
                                                      > Jim
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie" <kirkland5245@e...>
                                                      wrote:
                                                      > > I agree with you Jim; if you care to come to Alabama, I'll give
                                                      you
                                                      > > the opportunity to view through my very nice Stellarvue/TMB 105.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Eddie Kirkland
                                                      > >
                                                      > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Carpenter"
                                                      <carp.jm@c...>
                                                      > > wrote:
                                                      > > > Thomas,
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Perhaps another way of stating this is to say for all you
                                                      > > propective
                                                      > > > TMB owners, Stellarvue offers another source of superb apos
                                                      using
                                                      > > TMB
                                                      > > > lenses. I've had a chance to view through Vic's version of the
                                                      > > > 152mm/f7.9, 115mm/f7, and a couple of 80mm/f7.5 TMB optics,
                                                      and
                                                      > > they
                                                      > > > were impeccable. He also does the 105mm/f6.19 and 80mm/f6,
                                                      but I
                                                      > > > haven't had a chance to personally get an eyeball on those
                                                      models.

                                                      > > > Jim
                                                      > > >

                                                      > > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical"
                                                      <TMBoptical@a...>
                                                      Stellarvue

                                                    • Jim Carpenter
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Sep 18, 2004
                                                        I'll look forward to that. RMSS dates for 2005 are July 7-10. See
                                                        http://www.rmss.org/test1.htm for info.