At Last...The Moon is Done

  • sallit2
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
      It was clear again last night so out I went.

      I did some more testing and with the much colder weather last night it
      took about 45 mins to cool down. The star test was pretty steady but
      the dome took another 20-30 mins to cool down to allow decent viewing.

      I did some more double star work and could spilt 0.6 arcsecs stars but
      no more. I then tested the seeing using the CCD camera and it was
      about average after midnight, at 2.5arcsecs.

      OK on to the moon which has been a little low and disappointing so far

      Using a 25mm eyepiece (120x) the moon looked very sharp. There was an
      amazing amount of the fine detail that so far has eluded me. The moon
      was about 30 degrees high. Once the dome cooled I tried a higher power
      and the views were still very good. No option out comes the Televue
      binoviewer and about 300x.

      WOW.

      In case you missed it WOW.

      The view was exceptional.

      I initially looked at Plato and the small craterlets/peaks on the
      floor came into view. They were not brilliant as the illumination
      angle is still not good. So cancel test mode and just look.

      Firstly the mountains close to Mare Crisium were amazing. I know this
      is a con but the binoviewer fooled me into believing there was a 3D
      effect, looking down on the mountains. They were very sharp, the
      shadows very black, giving a really strong 'looking-down' onto the
      moon effect. Don't do this if you suffer from vertigo :-).

      Onto Petavius: The walls looked very wrinkled (and molten rock like).
      The walls had signficant radial ridges and all sorts of furrows in
      them. The floor had the obvious rills including Rimae Petavius but
      there was a huge amount of detail visible in its structure. The
      central mountains were very obvious and clear. Other rilles run from
      these mountains but they are more sinuous and to some extent much more
      fun to follow. Wrottesley was very distinctive and the central
      mountains detailed. The floor was obviously deeper.

      Onto Langrenus. This crater has a simialr appearance to Petavius but
      had surrounding it lots of very small craterlets. They kept coming
      into and out of view but added to the overall effect.

      I then 'surfed' this edge of the moon to be rewarded with excellent
      views with all sorts of details coming into view. The binoviewers
      allow you to 'stare' at the features without the eyes becoming
      strained or worried by floaters. I'll have to wait for a 1/4 moon to
      see all the other details nearer the centre of the moon but last night
      was certainly very interesting.

      At last the moon is showing itself to the 10" TMB Tak-Cass.

      These views are the best I have seen from home including the views
      through my 8" Portaball. Now that has a Zambuto mirror and provides
      really excellent views. It previous owner told me it was close (if not
      better) than an 6" AP refractor.

      And it could be clear again...
    • Ray Byrne
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
        Dear George,

        You have encouraged me to go out tonight. I saw the moon rising last
        night but felt too tired (stressy time with adverts!). It looks like a
        really good night cloud-wise although I comforted myself last night as
        the seeing early on looked poor (stars at the zenith were twinkling). I
        know what you mean about the vertigo feeling binoviewers make the scope
        "get out of the way" I've also experienced this with sunspots in white
        light you can feel like you could fall into them.

        I'll let you all know how I get on

        Put that Mak on a bungie chord George when it goes back to Markus BTW

        ATB

        Ray

      • jimhp29401us
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
          Great report. That 10" Mak seems to be doing an excellent job!

          Jim Phillips

          :