TMB 115 CNC

  • steve james
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2004
      Dear Members.
      Thanks for the welcome.
      On the files page there is a photograph of the 115 CNC,I was wondering if this photograph shows the scope with its Dew shield extended or retracted?
      Thankyou,
      Steve.

    • sheeba97401
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
        Hello folks,
        I am new to this forum and have joined because by this time next
        week I hope Markus will be shipping me a TMB 115 CNC (Silver type)
        refracting telescope. Although I have had numerous telescopes this
        will be my first APO refractor. I decided to get one after looking
        through a friends Televue NP 101. I am a fan of DSO's and have used
        my 8inch SCT to start imaging them. However looking at a few DSO's
        through my friends refractor really impressed me for the contrast and
        clarity. Many of you may identify with me while I am in this stage of
        anticipation. There is nothing quit like waiting to get a new
        telescope. Also to help me deal with this I have been scouring the
        internet to learn as much as I can about my new toy.(Did this before
        buying it but you know how it is)I have completely gone through
        Cloudy Nights reading most anything that I could about it. I am
        finding that there is not that much as it seems that most of the
        folks with TMB's all are into scopes of much larger aperture or at
        least those with larger scopes post the most at CC and Astromart. So
        is there is anyone out there who would feel inclined to chat with me
        about the TMB 115 I would love to hear from you.
        Any tips or tricks regarding this scope or using it for imaging would
        be of particular interest.
        Respectfully Submitted,
        Dan
      • Mike Fitterman
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
          I can't help you with the imaging part, but I'd be glad to talk to you
          about using it visually.

          I have mine (it's the LW version) mounted on a Celestron AS Goto
          scope. This makes a great match for visual use. I had it out the
          other night and was looking at M27 (for nearly an hour or so) at about
          150x or so. Just a fantastic view, with the M27 nearly filling the
          eyepiece, high contrast with almost a 3D like effect. While the SCT
          will give you better brightness, the clarity of the unobstructed
          scopes is really something! I've done some comparison with SCTs and
          you can really notice chromatic aberration on the SCTs when you put
          them side by side with scopes that don't have it. Colors are just
          that little bit duller and the images just a bit mushier.

          I bought mine because I needed something that was easily transportable
          and easy to flip around from mount to mount. I haven't regretted in
          the least so far! It's a great scope and I'm sure you'll be happy
          with it!

          Mike.

          On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:47:31 -0000, sheeba97401 <dannyhalstead44@...> wrote:

          > Hello folks,
          > I am new to this forum and have joined because by this time next
          > week I hope Markus will be shipping me a TMB 115 CNC (Silver type)
          > refracting telescope. Although I have had numerous telescopes this
          > will be my first APO refractor. I decided to get one after looking
          > through a friends Televue NP 101. I am a fan of DSO's and have used
          > my 8inch SCT to start imaging them. However looking at a few DSO's
          > through my friends refractor really impressed me for the contrast and
          > clarity. Many of you may identify with me while I am in this stage of
          > anticipation. There is nothing quit like waiting to get a new
          > telescope. Also to help me deal with this I have been scouring the
          > internet to learn as much as I can about my new toy.(Did this before
          > buying it but you know how it is)I have completely gone through
          > Cloudy Nights reading most anything that I could about it. I am
          > finding that there is not that much as it seems that most of the
          > folks with TMB's all are into scopes of much larger aperture or at
          > least those with larger scopes post the most at CC and Astromart. So
          > is there is anyone out there who would feel inclined to chat with me
          > about the TMB 115 I would love to hear from you.
          > Any tips or tricks regarding this scope or using it for imaging would
          > be of particular interest.
          > Respectfully Submitted,
          > Dan
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Robert Anderson
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
            Hi Dan

            I mainly do imaging with the TMB 115LW on a side-by-side with a 80mm
            guide scope.

            I have them mounted on Losmandy Titan and generally shoot 2-3 hour
            images.

            I use a Starlight Xpress SXV-9 camera, (just sold the color version
            of that camera to go mono), and have added the Optec color wheel with
            their new 2mm LRGB filters with I/R blocking.

            In-addition, I have the Optec focuser so everything is computer run.
            Image capture, guiding, (MX5 guider camera), processing is done in
            MaxIm, Maxpoint for all sky alignments, FocusMax for focusing once I
            have used a Hartman mask for rough focusing, PolarAlignMax and the
            Gemini programs in the mount, (PolarAlign Assist and PolarAlign
            Correction) all can get me within 1 arcminute of the refracted pole.

            Generally, imaging is done a dark site as I live in Toronto, Canada
            and the light dome here is a bear to deal with.

            I am making some changes in the way I am setup going to where the
            guide scope is mounted on top of the imaging scope so as to ensure
            good balancing. I am also moving up from the TMB 115 to the TMB 175
            next month which will reduce my FOV by about a 3rd and increase my FL
            by almost twice the length, (805mm to 1400mm).

            All the best with your new scope, you will be very pleased with it.

            Cheers

            Bob

            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sheeba97401"
            <dannyhalstead44@m...> wrote:

            > Hello folks,
            > I am new to this forum and have joined because by this time next
            > week I hope Markus will be shipping me a TMB 115 CNC (Silver type)
            > refracting telescope. Although I have had numerous telescopes this
            > will be my first APO refractor. I decided to get one after looking
            > through a friends Televue NP 101. I am a fan of DSO's and have used
            > my 8inch SCT to start imaging them. However looking at a few DSO's
            > through my friends refractor really impressed me for the contrast
            and
            > clarity. Many of you may identify with me while I am in this stage
            of
            > anticipation. There is nothing quit like waiting to get a new
            > telescope. Also to help me deal with this I have been scouring the
            > internet to learn as much as I can about my new toy.(Did this
            before
            > buying it but you know how it is)I have completely gone through
            > Cloudy Nights reading most anything that I could about it. I am
            > finding that there is not that much as it seems that most of the
            > folks with TMB's all are into scopes of much larger aperture or at
            > least those with larger scopes post the most at CC and Astromart.
            So
            > is there is anyone out there who would feel inclined to chat with
            me
            > about the TMB 115 I would love to hear from you.
            > Any tips or tricks regarding this scope or using it for imaging
            would
            > be of particular interest.
            > Respectfully Submitted,
            > Dan
          • Norman L. Rubenstein
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2004
              Dear Dan:

              Welcome aboard, and glad to have you. Yu will just LOVE your new TMB 115!
              Whereabouts are you from and will you be observing - maybe we have other
              members close by?

              Best regards,

              Norm Rubenstein

              On 10/9/04 12:47 PM, "sheeba97401" <dannyhalstead44@...> wrote:

              > Hello folks,
              > I am new to this forum and have joined because by this time next
              > week I hope Markus will be shipping me a TMB 115 CNC (Silver type)
              > refracting telescope. Although I have had numerous telescopes this
              > will be my first APO refractor. I decided to get one after looking
              > through a friends Televue NP 101. I am a fan of DSO's and have used
              > my 8inch SCT to start imaging them. However looking at a few DSO's
              > through my friends refractor really impressed me for the contrast and
              > clarity. Many of you may identify with me while I am in this stage of
              > anticipation. There is nothing quit like waiting to get a new
              > telescope. Also to help me deal with this I have been scouring the
              > internet to learn as much as I can about my new toy.(Did this before
              > buying it but you know how it is)I have completely gone through
              > Cloudy Nights reading most anything that I could about it. I am
              > finding that there is not that much as it seems that most of the
              > folks with TMB's all are into scopes of much larger aperture or at
              > least those with larger scopes post the most at CC and Astromart. So
              > is there is anyone out there who would feel inclined to chat with me
              > about the TMB 115 I would love to hear from you.
              > Any tips or tricks regarding this scope or using it for imaging would
              > be of particular interest.
              > Respectfully Submitted,
              > Dan

            • George
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                HI Dan,

                I'm in the same space of anticipation of anticipation as you. I have
                a Stellarvue 115 on order that should arrive by the end of the
                month. Feels like the "Night before Christmas!"

                I also have a SV80DL with TMB lenses that is supburb. I can hardly
                wait to see the additional light gathering capability of the 115.
                I'll post more when mine arrives and I get the chance to do some
                viewing.

                In the mean time...isn't anticipation wonderful!!!

                George
                Oregon

                <dannyhalstead44@m...> wrote:

                > Hello folks,
                > I am new to this forum and have joined because by this time next
                > week I hope Markus will be shipping me a TMB 115 CNC (Silver type)
                > refracting telescope. Although I have had numerous telescopes this
                > will be my first APO refractor. I decided to get one after looking
                > through a friends Televue NP 101. I am a fan of DSO's and have
                used
                > my 8inch SCT to start imaging them. However looking at a few DSO's
                > through my friends refractor really impressed me for the contrast
                and
                > clarity. Many of you may identify with me while I am in this stage
                of
                > anticipation. There is nothing quit like waiting to get a new
                > telescope. Also to help me deal with this I have been scouring the
                > internet to learn as much as I can about my new toy.(Did this
                before
                > buying it but you know how it is)I have completely gone through
                > Cloudy Nights reading most anything that I could about it. I am
                > finding that there is not that much as it seems that most of the
                > folks with TMB's all are into scopes of much larger aperture or at
                > least those with larger scopes post the most at CC and Astromart.
                So
                > is there is anyone out there who would feel inclined to chat with
                me
                > about the TMB 115 I would love to hear from you.
                > Any tips or tricks regarding this scope or using it for imaging
                would
                > be of particular interest.
                > Respectfully Submitted,
                > Dan
              • sheeba97401
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                  Norm,
                  I live in Eugene, Oregon. We have some fairly decent dark sky sites
                  here but I really miss my home state of Montana(Eastern half) as the
                  winters have usually clear skies in between snow storms. Here in
                  Eugene we are in a valley and since we are in the Western portion of
                  the state we get a lot of rain and low level clouds that just hang in
                  the valley for weeks on end. It would be great to know someone from
                  my area with a TMB. I have not seen one in our local club although
                  that does not preclude the possibility of such. Where are you located?
                  Dan

                  - In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Norman L. Rubenstein" <nlr@r...>
                  wrote:
                  > Dear Dan:
                  >
                  > Welcome aboard, and glad to have you. Yu will just LOVE your new
                  TMB 115!
                  > Whereabouts are you from and will you be observing - maybe we have
                  other
                  > members close by?
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  >
                  > Norm Rubenstein
                  >

                  > On 10/9/04 12:47 PM, "sheeba97401" <dannyhalstead44@m...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hello folks,
                  > > I am new to this forum and have joined because by this time next
                  > > week I hope Markus will be shipping me a TMB 115 CNC (Silver type)
                  > > refracting telescope. Although I have had numerous telescopes this
                  > > will be my first APO refractor. I decided to get one after looking
                  > > through a friends Televue NP 101. I am a fan of DSO's and have
                  used
                  > > my 8inch SCT to start imaging them. However looking at a few DSO's
                  > > through my friends refractor really impressed me for the contrast
                  and
                  > > clarity. Many of you may identify with me while I am in this
                  stage of
                  > > anticipation. There is nothing quit like waiting to get a new
                  > > telescope. Also to help me deal with this I have been scouring the
                  > > internet to learn as much as I can about my new toy.(Did this
                  before
                  > > buying it but you know how it is)I have completely gone through
                  > > Cloudy Nights reading most anything that I could about it. I am
                  > > finding that there is not that much as it seems that most of the
                  > > folks with TMB's all are into scopes of much larger aperture or at
                  > > least those with larger scopes post the most at CC and Astromart.
                  So
                  > > is there is anyone out there who would feel inclined to chat with
                  me
                  > > about the TMB 115 I would love to hear from you.
                  > > Any tips or tricks regarding this scope or using it for imaging
                  would
                  > > be of particular interest.
                  > > Respectfully Submitted,
                  > > Dan

                • sheeba97401
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                    -George,
                    I have heard a lot of good things about those Stellarvue's and would
                    enjoy a photo of yours when you get it. I notice that you are in
                    Oregon. I live in Eugene, Oregon where are you ocated?
                    Dan

                    -- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "George" <gnggreenfield@c...> wrote:

                    > HI Dan,
                    >
                    > I'm in the same space of anticipation of anticipation as you. I
                    have
                    > a Stellarvue 115 on order that should arrive by the end of the
                    > month. Feels like the "Night before Christmas!"
                    >
                    > I also have a SV80DL with TMB lenses that is supburb. I can hardly
                    > wait to see the additional light gathering capability of the 115.
                    > I'll post more when mine arrives and I get the chance to do some
                    > viewing.
                    >
                    > In the mean time...isn't anticipation wonderful!!!
                    >
                    > George
                    > Oregon
                    >
                    > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sheeba97401"
                    > <dannyhalstead44@m...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello folks,
                    > > I am new to this forum and have joined because by this time next
                    > > week I hope Markus will be shipping me a TMB 115 CNC (Silver
                    type)
                    > > refracting telescope. Although I have had numerous telescopes
                    this
                    > > will be my first APO refractor. I decided to get one after
                    looking
                    > > through a friends Televue NP 101. I am a fan of DSO's and have
                    > used
                    > > my 8inch SCT to start imaging them. However looking at a few
                    DSO's
                    > > through my friends refractor really impressed me for the contrast
                    > and
                    > > clarity. Many of you may identify with me while I am in this
                    stage
                    > of
                    > > anticipation. There is nothing quit like waiting to get a new
                    > > telescope. Also to help me deal with this I have been scouring
                    the
                    > > internet to learn as much as I can about my new toy.(Did this
                    > before
                    > > buying it but you know how it is)I have completely gone through
                    > > Cloudy Nights reading most anything that I could about it. I am
                    > > finding that there is not that much as it seems that most of the
                    > > folks with TMB's all are into scopes of much larger aperture or
                    at
                    > > least those with larger scopes post the most at CC and Astromart.
                    > So
                    > > is there is anyone out there who would feel inclined to chat with
                    > me
                    > > about the TMB 115 I would love to hear from you.
                    > > Any tips or tricks regarding this scope or using it for imaging
                    > would
                    > > be of particular interest.
                    > > Respectfully Submitted,
                    > > Dan
                  • George
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                      Dan,

                      We're almost neighbors. I live in Corvallis. WOW! Two 115's within
                      40 miles. What are the odds??? We'll have to get together and enjoy
                      our scopes.

                      We view a lot from Mary's peak. Don't know how much more time we're
                      going to get on the mountain this year though. Let me know when you
                      get your scope and I'll do the same. Where are your dark sky sites?

                      My scope will look just like this one on the Stellarvue 115 page...

                      http://www.stellarvue.com/115.html

                      I'm getting the blue tube like the one in the photo just before the
                      pricing starts.

                      Can't wait!

                      George

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                        >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "George" <gnggreenfield@c...
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > Dan,
                        >
                        > We're almost neighbors. I live in Corvallis. WOW! Two 115's within
                        > 40 miles. What are the odds??? We'll have to get together and enjoy
                        > our scopes.

                        I'm thinking it's scope bino time. :-)

                        > We view a lot from Mary's peak. Don't know how much more time we're
                        > going to get on the mountain this year though. Let me know when you
                        > get your scope and I'll do the same. Where are your dark sky sites?
                        >
                        > My scope will look just like this one on the Stellarvue 115 page...
                        >
                        > http://www.stellarvue.com/115.html
                        >
                        > I'm getting the blue tube like the one in the photo just before the
                        > pricing starts.

                        Enjoy!

                        Tim

                        > Can't wait!
                        >

                        > George
                      • sheeba97401
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                          -
                          George,
                          That is one very unique and beautiful telescope. I imagine the wait
                          is becoming almost torturous. I would really like to see it when you
                          get it. The dark sky site I go to is about 45minutes to a place
                          called Eagles Rest which is on top of a small mountain east of
                          Eugene. For quick looks I go to the college hill reservoir here in
                          Eugene which is not bad although you are in the middle of Eugene on
                          top of a hill. Access is excellent.
                          When you get into Eugene give me a call and perhaps we can have
                          coffee. What are you going to be using for a mount?
                          Take care,

                        • George
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                            Hi Dan,

                            I will be using my GM8 as the primary mount. I also have an alt/az
                            mount that I may use for club star parties.

                            I agree, let's be sure to get together. I'll let you know when my
                            scope arrives. Please let me know when you get your scope too.

                            Thanks,

                            George