Re: [tmboptical] Re: TV-102 vs "TMB130LW" size comparison?

  • ericj
    Message 1 of 108 , Jun 30 8:40 PM
      Hi Ron:

      >- Nearly everyone says the biggest improvement is from a 4" to
      >5" (of course 4" to 6" would be more ;-) than from 5" to 6".

      While I agree that a 6" will show you more than a 5" I think you need to go
      with what will work best for you. If a telescope is too big and bulky for
      you to set up you won't use it very often. As John Dobson once remarked:

      "If a telescope can fit into your backyard it's too small. If you can't move
      it, it's too big." ;-)

      Plus, I have found that a 5" is capable of showing very fine detail. These
      are a sampling of sketches I made of Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, deep-sky, and
      comets made with a 5" refractor on homemade Dobsonian-style mount:

      Saturn showing spokes in the B-Ring:
      http://home.fiam.net/ericj/saturn082499.html

      Saturn showing spokes in the A-Ring:
      http://home.fiam.net/ericj/saturn100501.html

      Jupiter ovals, columns, festoons, bays, red barges,
      http://home.fiam.net/ericj/jupiter101399.html

      M1 and Saturn:
      http://home.fiam.net/ericj/m1_saturn.html

      Mars:
      http://home.fiam.net/ericj/mars073103.html

      http://home.fiam.net/ericj/mars082403.html

      Comet Ikeya-Zhang:
      http://home.fiam.net/ericj/comet_ikeya_zhang041102.html

      http://home.fiam.net/ericj/comet_ikeya_zhang042102.html

      As you have noted when making your Mars sketches the more you observe and
      sketch the more you train your eye to see more detail. Plus the more you
      observe the better the chances you will get good seeing.

      Another way to look at the aperture of a telescope is to approach it not
      from the standpoint of that it is "Gee its only a 5" so I won't be able to
      see as much as a larger aperture telescope" but rather "What will I see
      tonight". That way your aren't limiting yourself before you even begin
      observing.

      Finally, as to only wanting to have one telescope for observing (like when
      you only had your Light Cup) or how it perform vs. your 8" Dob I think every
      telescope has its advantages and disadvantages. You just have to decide
      what is most important for you in terms of performance, cost, ease of use,
      and portability. To some extent the aperture of the telescope is less
      important than the person using it.

      Hope this helps,

      Eric

      ---
      [This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]
    • ronbee
      Message 108 of 108 , Jul 7, 2004
        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "etherealnumber99" <ratboy99@a...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Ron,
        >
        > A "new" Tak FS-152 - 6" F8 APO just showed up on Amart...
        >
        > $6395!
        >
        > That's like $3,000 less than current retail...
        >
        > I would imagine that you would be able to sell it for at least the
        > same down the road, just "park" the money in it for a few years,
        > won't cost you a dime.
        >

        > Bill

        Thanks Bill for a great tip and a very drooling price tag ;-)! Alas,
        there ain't a FS-152 f/6 sizewise ;-(, is there? But I just remember
        that I'll need probably the monsterous G11 (no budget for this) and
        that I already asked Thomas last week to go away and expedite cashing
        in my deposit check ;-).

        Ron the 4+1" Tall Evangelist B[ee]