4x Powermate with Baader BV

  • Louis Marchesi
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2004
      I managed a "first light" Friday with my new Mark V's.

      I had to remove the 100mm extension tube on the 152's focuser to get
      the binoviewer to focus.

      I also tried using my 4x Powermate, but could not seem to get it to
      focus. I put the Powermate first in the optical path, followed by the
      Baader prism diagonal, then the BV itself. I am using a pair of 24mm
      Panoptics.

      I thought that the Powermates did not move the exit pupil. Should I
      have put the Powermate *after* the BV?

      I am hoping this arrangement will work, as the only pair of EPs I have
      are the 24mm Panoptics and thus my only "high magnification" option at
      this point.

      Any BV tips/tricks from the veteran BV'ers out there?

      One other configuration question: Can I use my TV diagonal instead of
      the prism diagonal?

      Regards,
      Louis Marchesi
      New London Township, PA
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2004
        >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Louis Marchesi" <lmarchesi@y...
        > wrote:

        > Hi Louis

        > I managed a "first light" Friday with my new Mark V's.
        >
        > I had to remove the 100mm extension tube on the 152's focuser to get
        > the binoviewer to focus.

        This is the expected procedure.

        > I also tried using my 4x Powermate, but could not seem to get it to
        > focus. I put the Powermate first in the optical path, followed by
        > the Baader prism diagonal, then the BV itself. I am using a pair of
        > 24mm Panoptics.
        >
        > I thought that the Powermates did not move the exit pupil. Should I
        > have put the Powermate *after* the BV?

        I think it will work if you put the 100 extension tube back, place it
        between the barlow and the diagonal.

        > I am hoping this arrangement will work, as the only pair of EPs I
        > have are the 24mm Panoptics and thus my only "high magnification"
        > option at this point.

        I'm sure it will work out and be a good combination. I think that one
        can remove the 'extension' tube on the Powermate, but I don't know if
        there is a way to attach the BV to the barlow then.

        > Any BV tips/tricks from the veteran BV'ers out there?

        Just make sure everything is tight when you use the BV as it's a lot
        of weight. I've had mine come loose a time or two.

        > One other configuration question: Can I use my TV diagonal instead
        > of the prism diagonal?

        Yes, no problem.

        > Regards,
        > Louis Marchesi
        > New London Township, PA

        Tim
      • W. Gondella
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2004
          > I had to remove the 100mm extension tube on the 152's focuser to get
          > the binoviewer to focus.
          >
          > I also tried using my 4x Powermate, but could not seem to get it to
          > focus.

          Lou,

          I think with the Powermate, you should keep the extension tube in place, then the 4X PM,
          prism, then bino.

          See if that doesn't work.

          WayneG
        • Mike C
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2004
            > I think with the Powermate, you should keep the extension tube in place, then the 4X PM,
            > prism, then bino.
            >
            > See if that doesn't work.
            >
            > WayneG

            bino sans glaspath corrector eh?
          • Louis Marchesi
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2004
              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "W. Gondella" <strehl985@c...> wrote:

              > I think with the Powermate, you should keep the extension tube in
              place, then the 4X PM,
              > prism, then bino.
              >
              > See if that doesn't work.
              >
              > WayneG

              Thanks guys for the responses. Of course, I'm clouded out right now
              and probably won't see clear skies until the Moon finishes waxing ;^)

              I am wondering if a Barlow is a better accessory than a Powermate, at
              least for binoviewer usage. If I can use the BV with the 100mm
              extension tube removed, would I be able to use it with a Barlow and
              the extension tube removed?

              Also, I cannot get to focus using the BV in my NP-101 ... so I wonder
              if I need a "stronger" compensator or a Barlow, or both?

              Does a Barlow compensate for lack of back focus?

              Regards,
              Louis Marchesi
              New London Township, PA
            • W. Gondella