Tantalising first glimpse

  • Ray Byrne
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10 12:44 PM
      Hi Group,

      I've owned an APM 2" Herschel wedge for 10 days now and not had a safe
      chance to give it a try (just rainy all the time). Today started out
      bright but not really sunny - you know rare moments when the sun comes
      out. Anyway I've been really busy (I work from home) and had to give my
      work priority as usual. I managed to finish early, 6pm, and it seemed
      to be the best part of the day with prolonged sunny spells. I just
      wanted a quick squint really and set-up outside my office window.
      Unbelievably within literally 2 minutes a large bank of cloud came over
      and the sky was totally overcast in 10 minutes. But for those few
      moments I had a view of the sun like nothing I've seen before! The
      images were very crisp indeed and a really natural creamy white colour
      almost mono really. There was a medium sized sunspot visible with a lot
      of contrast between the umbra and penumbra. I was using a 25mm Ortho
      and could also see granulation (I've not seen this through full
      aperture type solar filters before). I put in a 7mm Ortho and brought
      the sunspot into to focus and centred it but the cloud came over. You
      can attenuate the light by rotating the filters against the prism but I
      didn't get a chance to try this.

      I'm really excited by this glimpse as it was the best view I've had of
      the sun in white light. I don't know if many of you have tried this
      gadget with your TMB scopes but I will be using this a lot I can tell.
      The heat from the back end is just warm so no problems with burning
      anything. Just from this peek I'd recommend the APM Herschel wedge to
      anyone interested in Solar observing as they are very reasonably priced
      (I'm not on commission BTW).

      I will be taking images as soon as I can, either with my Nikon CP4500
      or my Toucam (having said that using a laptop in broad daylight is not
      easy). I'm going to do some Ha through my Maxscope40 as well in the
      run-up to the Venus transit.

      Watch this space

      Good Seeing

      Ray Byrne
    • Norman L. Rubenstein
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10 12:58 PM
        Dear Ray:

        I will be MOST anxious to see your upcoming image(s)!

        Many thanks,

        Norm Rubenstein

        On 5/10/04 12:44 PM, "Ray Byrne" <ray@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group,
        >
        > I've owned an APM 2" Herschel wedge for 10 days now and not had a safe
        > chance to give it a try (just rainy all the time). Today started out
        > bright but not really sunny - you know rare moments when the sun comes
        > out. Anyway I've been really busy (I work from home) and had to give my
        > work priority as usual. I managed to finish early, 6pm, and it seemed
        > to be the best part of the day with prolonged sunny spells. I just
        > wanted a quick squint really and set-up outside my office window.
        > Unbelievably within literally 2 minutes a large bank of cloud came over
        > and the sky was totally overcast in 10 minutes. But for those few
        > moments I had a view of the sun like nothing I've seen before! The
        > images were very crisp indeed and a really natural creamy white colour
        > almost mono really. There was a medium sized sunspot visible with a lot
        > of contrast between the umbra and penumbra. I was using a 25mm Ortho
        > and could also see granulation (I've not seen this through full
        > aperture type solar filters before). I put in a 7mm Ortho and brought
        > the sunspot into to focus and centred it but the cloud came over. You
        > can attenuate the light by rotating the filters against the prism but I
        > didn't get a chance to try this.
        >
        > I'm really excited by this glimpse as it was the best view I've had of
        > the sun in white light. I don't know if many of you have tried this
        > gadget with your TMB scopes but I will be using this a lot I can tell.
        > The heat from the back end is just warm so no problems with burning
        > anything. Just from this peek I'd recommend the APM Herschel wedge to
        > anyone interested in Solar observing as they are very reasonably priced
        > (I'm not on commission BTW).
        >
        > I will be taking images as soon as I can, either with my Nikon CP4500
        > or my Toucam (having said that using a laptop in broad daylight is not
        > easy). I'm going to do some Ha through my Maxscope40 as well in the
        > run-up to the Venus transit.
        >
        > Watch this space
        >

        > Good Seeing
        >
        > Ray Byrne
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • izar21093
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10 7:34 PM
          The H-wedge is all I use with my TMB 100/800.

          You will enjoy it once the new-gadget curse is gone.

          Bill G
          *****