Attn: Mike, Re: SV/TMB105

  • Darren Hennig
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2004
      Mike:

      I got my Sv105 yesterday! I have s/n 222 - I affectionately call the scope
      "the Deuce" ;-)

      Anyway, whoa. Build is super solid. I have beat the new scope curse - last
      night had exceptional transparency, with variable seeing, but I'll take it!

      All stars and solar system objects are totally color-free [wrt chroma], VERY
      high contrast - Saturn's atmosphere really stood out. Jupiter was awesome,
      despite the turbulence in that area of the sky - I ran ~148x with my 11mm
      Nagler/2.5x Powermate. Banding was very evident even during cooldown.

      Lunar craters were razor sharp, and stars had VERY tight, concentric Airy
      patterns. The contrast is so good in this scope that I had trouble finding
      Luna through the 11mm Nagler [59x, ~1.38° FOV in the 105]! What I mean is
      that only when I was really close to it was there enough of a skyglow to
      zoom in on it! I was using luna to align my RDF finder.

      This so far is an exceptional scope - I had my Kendrick/Baader solar filter
      on the "Deuce" at lunchtime - 11mm Nagler T6 alone - 59x. WOW! Sol was SO
      bright that it took some time to get used to. Faculae, limb detail,
      microspots within the larger spot groupings, it was all there. The FT
      focuser is superb - very solid, with a crisp focus.

      I plan to do more tontie - skies call to be clear until Sunday afternoon - I
      guess I got really lucky to beat the new scope curse! ;-)

      Darren.
    • erdmanpe
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2004
        Please let us know more as you explore your new instrument! And enjoy
        yourself--there are few things of greater pleasure than a fine tool.

        Peter