Re: [tmboptical] Re: 130 TMB & TEC 140 (was TMB 130)

  • Mike C
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004

      > One has to ask is that strehl measurement made with a certified Zygo
      > interferometer and how many data points are used. Also, is the test
      > done with the lenses in the cell or setup on a test bench? I don't
      > know how TEC does it but LZOS tests with a certified Zygo
      > interferometer using thousands of data points across the lense
      > surface.

      LZOS uses a Twyman-Green interferometer. Does Zygo really play into it?
      I dont know.

      Here is another post from that great thread that Kurt Milhaco linked to.
      It has this quote from Roland:

      (quote)
      The other thing that is really stupid of them was to test the fluorite and the
      other refractor with a Zygo. This commercial interferometer sends a beam of red
      laser light through the telescope. To get the true P-V wavefront error of a
      refractor one MUST use a green light source (Zygo does not provide this in
      their product line).
      (/quote)

      I don't know if that is still a fact since you hear about Zygo interferometry all
      the time. Maybe Zygo has become a generic term on the web for interferometer.

      Mike
    • mihalco
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mike@e...> wrote:
        Maybe Zygo has become a generic term on the web for interferometer.

        > Mike

        Zygo has made interferometers for a long time, but I don't think they
        are considered a *generic* term for an interferometer. There are a
        number of interferometer types that can be configured for telescope
        optic testing. Fizeau and Tywman Green are typical. They are not
        complete unto themselves. They need additional optics (reference
        elements, flats, etc) in order to test telescope optics. These all
        have to be made to an extremely high accuracy, (1/10-1/20+ wave).
        Mounts and environment are also critical. Most optical folks would
        probably agree that any non-phase shifting interferometer (Zygo
        included) is capable at best of measuring down to 1/20 wave. Many
        optical shops build their own test interferometer, and buy commercial
        software to evaluate the interferograms. Properly used, their
        results can be as good as any commercial interferometer. Zygo's
        aren't magically certified, but as a commercial product, they have
        been well characterized, have lots of support optics available, and
        have a long product evolution that has made them reliable, usable,
        etc. They also cost a lot :>) They also have lot's of good stuff on
        their web site. Look at the GPI family:
        http://www.zygo.com/gpi/gpifam.htm
        It can be configured for visual fringe analysis (i.e. your eyeball)
        all the way through computer based phase shifting measurement. Also,
        Roland's statement on SAA about Zygo's not offering green laser
        support is dated. This is available as an option now.

        Regards,
        Kurt
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
          >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mike@e...> wrote:
          >
          > LZOS uses a Twyman-Green interferometer.

          Your right, it is Twyman-Green at 532 nm.

          > Does Zygo really play into it?

          It does when you read the wrong test report. When I said Zygo I was
          thinking of a test report on a mirror flat I have. My bad.

          > I dont know.
          >
          > Here is another post from that great thread that Kurt Milhaco linked
          > to. It has this quote from Roland:

          Who? Never heard of him.

          > (quote)
          > The other thing that is really stupid of them was to test the
          fluorite and the
          > other refractor with a Zygo. This commercial interferometer sends a
          beam of red
          > laser light through the telescope. To get the true P-V wavefront
          error of a
          > refractor one MUST use a green light source (Zygo does not provide
          this in
          > their product line).
          > (/quote)

          I always wondered about this. If you test at 633nm and find a 1/10
          wave optic can you declare it is:

          = 1/10 * (633 nm / 532 nm )

          or a 1 / 8.4 optic at 532nm? If not why not?

          > I don't know if that is still a fact since you hear about Zygo
          > interferometry all the time. Maybe Zygo has become a generic term on
          > the web for interferometer.

          Perhaps, but it's not accurate.

          > Mike

          Tim
        • APM_Telescopes
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
            The TEC show strehl of 99% only in its Zemax calculation, ask TMB and you
            will see that the TMB offer in the zemax calculation even higher strehl than
            99%

            99% strehl is about 1/60 RMS and thats not what TEC warrantee for his scopes

            best wishes
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004

              > The TMB reports are interesting but don't include the fringes or the
              > decisions made by whoever was producing the results. (Were tilt,
              > defocus, astigmatism, coma subtracted from the results? Or were they
              > included in the presented results?) I don't know.

              Lens testings must include coma, astigmatism , only defocuse and tilt from
              set up need to be removed and thats the way how LZOS doing it.

              If the fringes were
              > included then I guess you could throw it into an analysis package
              > and have it spit out the same results for you.
              >
              > Roland posted some quickfringe results to the PCS forums a while
              > back. See here:
              > http://www.pcsincnet.com:16080/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

              Roland shows 8 lines, this is already to much and makes lines to straight,
              usual 3-4 lines shall be used as high power scale to see all small deffects

              best wishes
              Markus

              > They include fringes in all cases, but they all vary in the abberations
              > which were subtracted when calculating the Strehl. For example the
              > "apo1" high quality APO with fringes sent by another manufacturer
              > shows 99% strehl but astigmatism and coma have been subtracted
              > from those results. That can certainly improve the strehl on the report,
              > right?
              >
              > Also, like you mention, cell or no cell? Lens orientation as well can
              > change everything. As far as I'm concerned.. IMHO.. YMMV... etc.
              > Interferometry can't be well compared from manufacturer to manufacturer.
              > Maybe if we had an independant lab testing them all and trying to
              > maintain total objectivity and sharing the full process of analysis.
              >
              > Mike
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • APM_Telescopes
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
                LZOS use green Twymann Interferometer for final testreport

                best wishes
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004

                  > I always wondered about this. If you test at 633nm and find a 1/10
                  > wave optic can you declare it is:
                  >
                  > = 1/10 * (633 nm / 532 nm )
                  >
                  > or a 1 / 8.4 optic at 532nm? If not why not?

                  above is exclusiv valid for raw mirror telescopes like newtonians with no
                  lens or corrector includet. Achromats, Apos, and Maks cannot be rated
                  straight this way, because the optic can be nulled at red, it can also be
                  over or undercorrected at red. Only if a optic is perfect designed with null
                  at green and 100% made correspondance to the design ( non optic in the world
                  is done this way, due manufactor and glas errors ).

                  so you can have a apo at red with 1/10 wave, who can be at green 1/4 wave
                  but can also be 1/15 wave at green, depends how the manufactoring came out.

                  best wishes

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM_Telescopes"
                    <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:

                    Got it; thanks Markus.

                    Tim

                    > > I always wondered about this. If you test at 633nm and find a 1/10
                    > > wave optic can you declare it is:
                    > >
                    > > = 1/10 * (633 nm / 532 nm )
                    > >
                    > > or a 1 / 8.4 optic at 532nm? If not why not?
                    > >

                    > above is exclusiv valid for raw mirror telescopes like newtonians
                    with no
                    > lens or corrector includet. Achromats, Apos, and Maks cannot be rated
                    > straight this way, because the optic can be nulled at red, it can
                    also be
                    > over or undercorrected at red. Only if a optic is perfect designed
                    with null
                    > at green and 100% made correspondance to the design ( non optic in
                    the world
                    > is done this way, due manufactor and glas errors ).
                    >
                    > so you can have a apo at red with 1/10 wave, who can be at green 1/4
                    wave
                    > but can also be 1/15 wave at green, depends how the manufactoring
                    came out.

                    > best wishes
                    >
                    > Markus
                  • Michael Frias
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                      So what does all this mean? As quoted from the TEC specifications, "Design:
                      Aplanatic oiled triplet APO, ED glass with two other ones. Optimized for e-line
                      546nm - Strehl 0.99, PV 1/20 (calculated)".
                      What is the e-line? What does this show? Anything?

                      apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
                      > LZOS use green Twymann Interferometer for final testreport
                      >
                      > best wishes
                      > Markus
                    • APM_Telescopes
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                        here you see the TMB designed Strehl for the 6"F/8 Apo
                        a.. Wave front and Strehl Ratios

                        OPD Wave front (P-V) Strehl Ratio Spot Size Radius (microns)
                        4358A 0.1972 waves 0.8490 5.66
                        4800A 0.1362 waves 0.9353 3.27
                        4861A 0.1261 waves 0.9426 3.06
                        5461A 0.0416 waves 0.9916 1.96
                        5876A 0.0899 waves 0.9874 1.90
                        6439A 0.1847 waves 0.9283 2.32

                        and here for the TMB 80/600 triplet
                        Wave front and Strehl Ratios

                        OPD Wave front (P-V) Strehl Ratio
                        4358A 0.2635 waves 0.8299
                        4861A 0.1684 waves 0.9157
                        5100A 0.0998 waves 0.9707
                        5300A 0.0492 waves 0.9938
                        5461A 0.0177 waves 0.9990
                        5550A 0.0185 waves 0.9984
                        5876A 0.0582 waves 0.9866
                        6100A 0.0741 waves 0.9793
                        6563A 0.0847 waves 0.9775
                        7065A 0.0712 waves 0.9853

                        now ask Yuri for his design and I am willing to do a bit bet, that his
                        strehl at the other wavelenghtes will not be at this high level, otherwise I
                        could not explain, why I can see a high power startest some spherochromatism

                        thanks

                        > So what does all this mean? As quoted from the TEC specifications,
                        "Design:
                        > Aplanatic oiled triplet APO, ED glass with two other ones. Optimized for
                        e-line
                        > 546nm - Strehl 0.99, PV 1/20 (calculated)".
                        > What is the e-line? What does this show? Anything?
                        >

                        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM_Telescopes" <
                        > apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
                        > > LZOS use green Twymann Interferometer for final testreport
                        > >
                        > > best wishes
                        > > Markus
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Mike C
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                          > here you see the TMB designed Strehl for the 6"F/8 Apo
                          > a.. Wave front and Strehl Ratios
                          >
                          > OPD Wave front (P-V) Strehl Ratio Spot Size Radius (microns)
                          > 4358A 0.1972 waves 0.8490 5.66
                          > 4800A 0.1362 waves 0.9353 3.27
                          > 4861A 0.1261 waves 0.9426 3.06
                          > 5461A 0.0416 waves 0.9916 1.96
                          > 5876A 0.0899 waves 0.9874 1.90
                          > 6439A 0.1847 waves 0.9283 2.32
                          >

                          > now ask Yuri for his design and I am willing to do a bit bet, that his
                          > strehl at the other wavelenghtes will not be at this high level, otherwise I
                          > could not explain, why I can see a high power startest some spherochromatism
                          >
                          > thanks
                          > Markus

                          Yuri previously mentioned the TEC140 is calculated 1/2 wave at
                          436 nm. Here is a quote: "Also no problem on deep sky, but with
                          slight violet halo around bright white-blue stars like Vega (see Vega's
                          intensity diagramm in the same file), Deneb, that radiate most of their
                          energy in 300-400nm range - for which our design is less corrected
                          (1/2 wave for 436nm)."

                          Here is another Yuri quote about the TEC140:
                          "the wave aberrations do not exceed 1/4 wave for:
                          C-line (656nm - red)
                          e-line (546nm - green)
                          F-line (480nm - blue)
                          and 1/2 for g-line (436nm - violet) and corrected for coma (aplanat)."

                          As I understand things, the TMB152 abberations do not exceed
                          1/4 wave from 448nm to 780nm.

                          Mike
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <mike@e...> wrote:>
                            >

                            > Yuri previously mentioned the TEC140 is calculated 1/2 wave at

                            Who? Never heard of him.

                            > 436 nm. Here is a quote: "Also no problem on deep sky, but with
                            > slight violet halo around bright white-blue stars like Vega (see
                            > Vega's intensity diagramm in the same file), Deneb, that radiate
                            > most of their energy in 300-400nm range - for which our design is
                            > less corrected (1/2 wave for 436nm)."
                            >
                            > Here is another Yuri quote about the TEC140:
                            > "the wave aberrations do not exceed 1/4 wave for:
                            > C-line (656nm - red)
                            > e-line (546nm - green)
                            > F-line (480nm - blue)
                            > and 1/2 for g-line (436nm - violet) and corrected for coma (aplanat)."
                            >

                            > As I understand things, the TMB152 abberations do not exceed
                            > 1/4 wave from 448nm to 780nm.

                            It looks better than that, about 1/7'th wave:

                            From the APM site:

                            4358A 0.1972 waves 0.8490 5.66
                            4800A 0.1362 waves 0.9353 3.27
                            4861A 0.1261 waves 0.9426 3.06
                            5461A 0.0416 waves 0.9916 1.96
                            5876A 0.0899 waves 0.9874 1.90
                            6439A 0.1847 waves 0.9283 2.32

                            > Mike

                            Tim
                          • Mario
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 6, 2004
                              Hello.

                              Desire that informs to me on the 130 TMB F:6.

                              That so it is compared with COMPLEXION 140?
                              In photography, notices the field curvature?
                              What other good options exist?

                              Thanks and a greeting.