New APM lightweight tubes w/Feathertouch Focuser

  • stevec9957
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi All and Happy Holidays: I have a brand new TMB 100/800 CNC (the
      very last one)that I may have to part with due to recent elbow and
      forearm injuries that limits my ability to mount it on my GM 8, :(.
      So, I'm looking at APM's new 102/800 in a lightweight alu. tube
      w/Feathertouch Focuser. Does anyone have experience with these tubes?
      If so, what have been your experience. Thanks

      Steve Chavez
      Denver
    • zeissnut
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2003
        I just recieved one from APM with a 100/800 lens
        mounted in it. Initial impressions are very positive.
        Fit and finish are superb. I had been concerned about
        whether the sliding drawtube might wobble and affect
        collimation, but it is very tight even with the locking
        screw loose -- no sideways motion or wobble that I can
        detect -- if there is any wobble its not more than Jupiter
        diameter. Hopefully it stays that way; time will tell.
        Sliding dewcap is a bit tight and some effort to move,
        but may be just stiff from newness; better than having
        a droopy one. FeatherTouch is wonderful, of course.
        Nice deep slip-on metal lens cap; not likely to fall off.
        I personally would like to see a handle on top of the
        rings; this one did not have a handle and tube is a
        bit too fat to grip with one hand. And of course the
        best part is the optics! - John B.