RE: [tmboptical] Re: converters

  • Robert McClure
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2003
      What you want is an inverter. A good source is Donrowe.com
      http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inverters.html?source=overture1

      Clear Skies
      Robert

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
        Thanks, Robert. That Maxx looks good.

        Donald
      • cardar@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
          Thanks for the link and, more importantly, for reminding me that I am talking about inverters, not converters! I knew that . . . fifty years ago.

          Any comments from you or the group, please, about whether the pure sine wave models are better for telescope drive motors. Certainly they are more expensive. Also, for those using such equipment, how many watts do you end up using? I'll be driving a H & W motor drive which, if I remember correctly, is seven watts and the motor drive on my 4" Fecker Celestar mount. But how much more wattage is necessary to run Kendrick Dew Zappers? And what other devices do youse guy run off your inverters in the field?

          Halp, halp,

          Donald A. Rosenfield
          Near Richmond, Virginia
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, cardar@c... wrote:
            > Thanks for the link and, more importantly, for reminding me that I am
            > talking about inverters, not converters! I knew that . . . fifty years
            > ago.

            You mean the old motor-generator sets? :-)

            > Any comments from you or the group, please, about whether the pure
            sine wave models are better for telescope drive motors. Certainly they
            are more expensive. Also, for those using such equipment, how many
            watts do you end up using? I'll be driving a H & W motor drive which,
            if I remember correctly, is seven watts and the motor drive on my 4"
            Fecker Celestar mount. But how much more wattage is necessary to run
            Kendrick Dew Zappers? And what other devices do youse guy run off your
            inverters in the field?

            For the dew zapper I would think the 'modified sine-wave' units would
            be good enough. It's really a chopper power supply, so you should be
            good to go with it.

            Is your H&W a synchronous motor that runs off the 110V - 60 cycle?
            Somewhere, I thought I saw Micheal Covington had a circuit that was a
            controller that allowed one to vary the 60 cylce AC going to a sync
            motor a little bit so it would track more accurately. In that cause
            he didn't re-create pure sine-wave. So I am thinking pure sine wave
            isn't necessary.

            Why not run what you can from 12V battery (dew zapper)? This is what
            I do in the field. Even the laptop has a 12Vdc to 16Vdc convertor.
            For the AP mount I use a 12V-DC to 16V-DC convertor also.

            > Halp, halp,
            >
            > Donald A. Rosenfield
            > Near Richmond, Virginia

            Tim

            not near Richmond, VA

            NNNNN
          • cardar@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
              Is your H&W a synchronous motor that runs off the 110V - 60 cycle?
              Somewhere, I thought I saw Micheal Covington had a circuit that was a
              controller that allowed one to vary the 60 cylce AC going to a sync
              motor a little bit so it would track more accurately.

              Thanks Tim. I have had a device for at least forty years or so that I plug my H&W drive into and the device then plugs into the electrical supply. There's a knob that allows me to vary the 60Hz AC in case I want to track the planet Moon or other objects such as comets, etc. (It doesn't help when I want to track my wife, who is presently in Florida buying a show kitten. I'm supposed to be feeding, watering, and picking up the poop on the kittens et cats at home but it looks like I may have screwed up. Two of the kittens are missing and may have been eaten by one of our giant males. <weep> )

              Donald