Re: [tmboptical] Re: TMB Semi Apo Telescopes, are there any?

  • W. Gondella
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 30, 2003
      From: "ronbee77" <ronby@...>
      To: <tmboptical@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 6:36 PM
      Subject: [tmboptical] Re: TMB Semi Apo Telescopes, are there any?

      > Indeed, it should! But here's my personal take on the matter. I'm
      > one of those of don't like long refractor ;-). Harder to mount,
      > harder to transport, harder to have a stable view, constricted field
      > of view at low power.

      Color me strange, but I've always loved a long tube, refractor or reflector. Once past
      the transport and set-up headaches (or getting one permanently mounted), in actual use,
      there is something enchanting about wielding a big, long tube, swinging it across the sky
      and sighting along its length.

      It must bring back fond memories of being in the big observatories! :)

      WG
    • cardar@comcast.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Oct 5, 2003
        Hi Wayne,

        Swinging that big tube. . . .Brings back memories of the three years spent with the 8" Clark on the Tropic of Capricorn and the several vists to the 40" Clark where, as an aside, I met my wife. . . .

        Dead Streetlights=Clear Skies

        Donald Rosenfield