Re: Lurking and surfacing

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2003
      FWIW I saw and used the Denkmeier (latest model) at BFSP.
      Mechanically I thought they were every bit as good as my Baader unit.
      These have EP holders which center the EP in the barrel. Also the
      diapter is adjustable and Russ showed me a secret trick to prevent
      bottoming out the EP when adjusting. The coatings looked first class.
      I talked to Russ, (not sure if he's the owner or what). He's a nice
      guy for sure. At night he let me (and TMB) view thru the bino on his
      big dob and images looked very good, no scatter on Mars and M27 showed
      a ton of nebulosity.

      I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair if I were in the market.

      Tim Povlick
      Pittsburgh, PA
    • ericj
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
        Hi Tim:

        >FWIW I saw and used the Denkmeier (latest model) at BFSP.

        How was the Black Forest Star Party? Any interesting scopes or observations?

        Thanks,

        Eric

        ---
        [This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
          >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "ericj" <ericj@f...> wrote:
          > Hi Tim:
          >
          > >FWIW I saw and used the Denkmeier (latest model) at BFSP.
          >

          > How was the Black Forest Star Party?
          > Any interesting scopes or observations?

          It was a good gathering I'd say. Friday was clouded out. Saturday
          afternoon I did get a look through Russ's (of Denlmeier) (at least I
          think it was his) 90mm Coronado H-alpha filter in a TAK. It was using
          the Denkmeier BV. Outstandingly nice views when the sun finally
          peeked out at around 4PM.

          Saturday night was, luckily, clear. The Milky Way was way evident.
          IIRC TMB called the skies mag 6.2, who am I to argue. It seemed like
          the transparency was down a bit but the gaps between stars was black.
          Seeing never was great, but satisfactory.

          The scope field was not overly crowded but certainly not empty, just
          the right density. I spent some time looking thru a 12.5 - f/4.5
          Starmaster scope. At first some DSO work, M31 etc. Finally Mars was
          reasonably high (much lower in the sky than I'm used to at 32 Deg N
          :-) ) but the views thru this scope with a TMB 6mm mono was really
          great. A hook in the polar ice cap was readily evident. I'm not sure
          if this was Dan's scope (from Canonsburg) or Rick's. I meet Dan last
          year at the BFSP and I he's a real cool dude.

          I forgot who it was that had a nice 15" refractor, but this guy was a
          real sharp observer. He was hunting interesting objects close to the
          premier objects that people often overlook. An example is the little
          galaxy near M13. There was another faint galaxy that I wasn't able to
          see but our intrepid leader was able to spot. Another feature was the
          propeller in M13, that was pretty cool. It was really fun hanging
          with this gentleman for a bit.

          A Celestron 14" SCT was giving some nice views of Mars also. My
          session with it was cut short due to dew, but the owner was taking
          care of it with a hot air gun.

          I think there was a 30" on the field but I didn't make it over to it.

          The air was damp as was the ground and the temp was supposed to be in
          the low 40's. I was more than happy to call it quits at 2AM. By then
          it seemed like the sky was getting a bit of a high haze.

          There were several people from the group that were at BFSP and it was
          a pleasure to meet them in person.

          All in all it was a pleasent experience and the people with the scopes
          were very cordial.

          Tim Povlick
          Pittsburgh, PA

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Eric

        • tmboptical
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "ericj" <ericj@f...> wrote:
            > How was the Black Forest Star Party? Any interesting scopes or
            >observations?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Eric

            Hi Eric and everyone,

            I'm back from the star party and the short vacation. The
            Black Forest Star Party was a great time, even with the poor
            weather the first "official" day (a lot of people were there
            1 to 5 days before the start).

            The skies on Saturday were good, transparency the best early
            on, the seeing better later on. We hunted down faint galaxies
            near showcase objects, through the good larger dobs, and it
            was very easy to see them, even with the skies about .5 mag
            worse than the very best nights at Cherry Springs. Passed
            midnight, Mars was best seen through Rick Singmaster's 12.5"?
            f/4.5 Zambuto, and the TMB 6mm Mono. Rick said that the TMB
            Monos were the first eyepieces that didn't show spherical
            aberration with less than a 6 element eyepiece (rightly
            so), at f/4.5. During the best seeing with the 12" and the
            TMB 6mm Mono, the views were really excellent, the best on the
            field, and this was confirmed by many who used the telescope/
            eyepiece combination. The 7mm Nagler type 6 looked like too
            much power, but when we put the 6mm Mono in, we saw better
            detail, contrast and it seemed like just the right power.

            Tim Povlick and his wife, Jeff Larko and his wife, Gary Moors,
            Harvey Gryttenholm, and many other friends and customers were
            there. We had a great time talking about optics, telescopes,
            and talked about our observations through the various telescopes.
            I wish Wayne Gondella could have made it, maybe next year.
            Thank you Wayne for your very comprehensive review of the TMB
            Super Monocentrices.

            I was too busy to hear the talks, but I heard that they were
            very good. All in all, one of the best star parties, and I
            will be there next year, and hope the group members can make it.

            I'm now many days behind in my work, and will start working
            on getting telescopes and eyepiece orders out. I will also
            contact people on the third list for the TMB Super Monocentrics.
            Please allow me to get to all this work. I will ship your
            telescopes and eyepieces as soon as I possibly can. Thank you
            for your patience.

            Thomas Back