Moon Report

  • yooody@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 8:18 PM
      Hi,

      Another glorious night here in N.J.. Temp in the 70's, crystal
      clear skies. Since I received my binoviewer I have developed a new
      appreciation of lunar observation.
      I had the TMB 105 on the GR-DX on a Bogen 3036 with the AP
      binoviewer amd AP barlow. Nice light setup, but a bit shaky at higher
      powers. Armed with the S+T mirror image moon map I set out to learn
      some basic lunar features.
      With the Tak LE 7.5mm(250x) the craters Aristarchus, Autolycus
      and Archimedes were lovely. Due to the shake in the mount I could not
      see any craterlets on the floor of plato. The shadows in Plato were
      very cool. Along the terminator there were numerous points of light ,
      which I assume were reflected sunlight. The mountains around Mare
      Serenitatis were full of detail. Fpr a start I felt as though I
      accomplishes alot. I now see the fascination in lunar observing.

      Marc Zukoff
    • adk@integram.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3 4:17 PM
        Hi Marc, I enjoyed reading your report. It sounds like your scope is
        living up to the expectations everyone has come to expect from Tom
        Back's masterpieces. With regard to Plato craterlets, they are very
        dependent upon seeing and the phase of the Moon so it wasn't so much
        your mount that prevented you from seeing them. Try viewing them
        closer to the Full Moon. If the seeing is good you'll be pleasantly
        surprised at how many you see.
        Good luck,
        Arpad Kovacsy