M42 scanned and posted

  • Tim Povlick
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2000
      Greetings Everyone,

      The M42 image Thomas posted was from a scanned 8x10 photo. I have
      since had the medium format image scanned (80 Mbytes!) and reduced it
      and reposted the JPEG. I 'zoomed' way in on the nebula itself and you
      can easily see my guide errors. I can't leave this large file on the
      system for long. Enjoy - (no copyright or anything like that)

      Clear Dark Skies to All....

      Tim
    • yooody@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2000
        Hi Tim,

        How about a review of the TMB 152. Planetary performance,
        deepsky? What do you have the scope mounted on?

        Thanks,

        Marc Zukoff

        --- In
        tmboptical@egroups.com, "Tim Povlick" <potentate@h...> wrote:

        > Greetings Everyone,
        >
        > The M42 image Thomas posted was from a scanned 8x10 photo. I have
        > since had the medium format image scanned (80 Mbytes!) and reduced
        it
        > and reposted the JPEG. I 'zoomed' way in on the nebula itself and
        you
        > can easily see my guide errors. I can't leave this large file on
        the
        > system for long. Enjoy - (no copyright or anything like that)
        >
        > Clear Dark Skies to All....
        >
        > Tim
      • Tim Povlick
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2000
          Marc,

          I did intend to mention the scope is mounted on a G11. With a Meade
          102 ED as a guide scope and medium format camera it is a lot of weight
          but I think it is going to track okay. For visual work the G11
          handles the TMB152 no problem.

          A review should appear on www.cloudynights.com very soon. As to
          planetary performance it has been beyond my expectations. Jupiter
          shows detail in the NEB and SEB and shading at the poles. On
          Saturn I've seen three separate rings and believe-it-or-not on one
          occasion the Encke Division.
          ___
          Tim

          --- In tmboptical@egroups.com, yooody@a... wrote:
          > Hi Tim,
          >

          > How about a review of the TMB 152. Planetary performance,
          > deepsky? What do you have the scope mounted on?
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Marc Zukoff
          > > Tim
        • Tom DeMary
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2000
            How come the image of the bright O star iota Orionis (seen above
            and right of the nebula in the photo; actually the lower star in
            the "sword") looks perfectly round, while all the fainter stars
            show a small guiding error?

            Tom DeMary