8617Re: Monocentric eyepiece eye relief?

  • cjamescook
    Apr 17, 2003
      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tony White <twhite@d...>"
      > <twhite@d...> wrote:
      > >
      > > A while back (message 6173) Tom said that the Steinheil
      > > monocentric's eye relief ratio was about .85. Assuming his
      > > designs won't vary from that, I get:

      <snip>

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical <TMBoptical@a...>"
      <TMBoptical@a...> replied:

      > That was true with my first design that had a glass that was too
      > expensive to use in production.

      Okay, I'll bite on this one:
      On one hand, exotic glasses can be hundreds of dollars per kilo. This
      is expensive if you are building a primary objective. But here we are
      talking about eyepieces, where the lenses are fractions of an ounce
      (excuse the mixed units).

      So for us armchair opticians, living vicariously through your
      experiences and reports, how expensive can that be?

      Take this as a general question if you wish: Just how expensive do
      those exotic glasses get, generally speaking?

      Cheers!
      -Jim Cook
      Bolton, Massachusetts, USA
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic