      From: starguy <starguy@...>
      Subject: [tmboptical] First Light
      To: tmboptical@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 8:56 AM

      After what seemed like a small eternity finally had a chance to get the TMB out - Skies weren't great but at least no clouds or rain -

      Mounted on a CGEM - My first view was Vega - Unbelievable - absolutely no color dead pinprick of light - My views that evening included some clusters (M4 - M13 etc) Planetaries(M52 -M27) and so on. I used a variety of eyepieces which included Radians, orthos, Burgess TMBs, old Research Grade 20mm and 15.5mm Erfles - Series 4000 and 5000 Meade SWAs - Pretty much the whole gamut.

      In every case I was totally enthralled with the views. Again, stars were absolute pinpricks of light, no fringing, no spikes, just points.
      The diffraction pattern was "perfect" -

      I waited for Jupiter to clear the trees and that's when I knew I had the right scope. I had never seen detail like that before. The colors were as the photo's. Detail within the belts was obvious.

      I have been doing this for over 54 years. Had a lot scopes - Currently I have the TMB, a C11 (carbon fiber tube, crayford) 8" LX90, 1970's vintage C8 and C5 - Meade AR5 -

      My scope of choice The TMB 130SS - My skies (as with probably most of us) are horribly light polluted. This scope seems to cut through that better than any of the other scopes - The images this instrument displays are as good as it gets - I cannot imagine a more "perfect" set of optics.

      The interferometer pictures of this lens are astounding - Dead parallel lines -

      I know there is no Nirvana when it comes to scopes but this is as close as I have ever seen. I look back of the scopes that are gone that were once "keepers", this one will be with me until I'm gone -

      If I were to look at a downside it would be of course aperture. It cannot resolve M13 like the C11 however the C11 does not have the purity of image on Jupiter - Which to I consider the most important - Both, that's why I have both - All the other socpes will go except my pets, the C8 and C5. There is a story behind these that has nothing to do with an evaluation.

      Rest assure fellow TMB'rs these are great scopes and hold 2nd place to no one.

      Rick H

      Same skies, older eyes