anti-spam proposal

  • David P. Schwartz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2003
      I'd like to propose the addition of a hook to handle spam scanning
      that uses a list of regular expressions to scan the headers and
      content of messages. Also, we could maintain a list of patterns here
      (or elsewhere) that everybody could download for their own use.

      There are three kinds of patterns that I'm seeing lately:

      1) the use of random letters scattered throughout the Subject,
      sender's name and email address;

      2) the use of symbols between letters, like "v.i.a.g.r.a."

      3) the EXTREME use of HTML comments sprinkled throughout a message.
      I'm talking two or three HTML comments in between the letters of the
      word "comment"!

      All of these are immune to simple string matching algorithms, which
      everybody seems to offer. I've yet to see something that uses true
      regular expression pattern-based matching, or even a neural net.

      I routinely use a little program called Popcorn to sift through my
      email before I read it into Netscape Communicator. I'm getting
      between 50% and 75% of messages that are simply garbage, and most
      anti-spam filters can't detect them. The Popcorn program is
      supposedly "dead" -- ie., no more development being done on it. I'd
      like to recreate something like it but that has a good spam filter
      built into it that will pre-filter things for me.

      I've actually got something simple running, based on the latest
      tmail2000, but it has some problems. Is there anybody who'd like to
      collaborate with me on this?

      -David
    • Marcello
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 26, 2003
        Hi Mr David,

        As you can see, I am experiencing spam myself (into this group). I have
        another project, "Supermask" (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/supermask)
        that is intended to be a powerful pattern searching library, however
        it's not totally thread-safe [and bug-safe] yet.

        I think we can open another group to host spam-related material. Why
        don't you open a group, and will be my pleasure to join and contribute
        to this much-needed application.

        Regards,

        --- "David P. Schwartz" <davids@...> wrote:
        > I'd like to propose the addition of a hook to handle spam scanning
        > that uses a list of regular expressions to scan the headers and
        > content of messages. Also, we could maintain a list of patterns here
        >
        > (or elsewhere) that everybody could download for their own use.
        >
        > There are three kinds of patterns that I'm seeing lately:
        >
        > 1) the use of random letters scattered throughout the Subject,
        > sender's name and email address;
        >
        > 2) the use of symbols between letters, like "v.i.a.g.r.a."
        >
        > 3) the EXTREME use of HTML comments sprinkled throughout a message.
        > I'm talking two or three HTML comments in between the letters of the
        > word "comment"!
        >
        > All of these are immune to simple string matching algorithms, which
        > everybody seems to offer. I've yet to see something that uses true
        > regular expression pattern-based matching, or even a neural net.
        >
        > I routinely use a little program called Popcorn to sift through my
        > email before I read it into Netscape Communicator. I'm getting
        > between 50% and 75% of messages that are simply garbage, and most
        > anti-spam filters can't detect them. The Popcorn program is
        > supposedly "dead" -- ie., no more development being done on it. I'd
        > like to recreate something like it but that has a good spam filter
        > built into it that will pre-filter things for me.
        >
        > I've actually got something simple running, based on the latest
        > tmail2000, but it has some problems. Is there anybody who'd like to
        > collaborate with me on this?
        >
        > -David

        =====
        Marcello Tavares