.eml file format

  • _eclipsed_
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2002
      I've been working on and off for some time now on building the base
      of a mail client. It has mostly been GUI stuff, and a limited amount
      of backend code. I'm now to the point where the two need to
      converge. I've decided to use tmail2k for the network layer of
      things. I've been chipping away at getting the underlying structure
      set up, and I need to make a decision about storing messages that
      have been recieved. I was looking at the demo and noticed it
      used .eml files. It seems that this must be some sort of accepted
      file format as it will open in outlook express. I'm trying to stay
      standards complaint, so if this is the case then I will want to use
      this format. If so, do I need to know about the file format or will
      tmail2k do all the work for me. What about the previous question of
      storing saved messages? Most clients today save all the messages in
      one file, and the parase the individual messages out. What is the
      better solution in everyone's opinion? I'm open to ideas,
      suggestions, and flames. Let me know how you feel. TIA.
      -Adam
      _eclipsed_@...
    • Roy Lambert
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2002
        I'm probably wrong but I think the "eml standard" is a Microsoft standard, however, eml is used by a number of mail programs for "file|save as", not as internal storeage. One that doesn't is Eudora. The main difference is in the the fact that Eudora stores the text in a file, extracts the files and saves them externally and Outlook Express stores the entire incoming message in its encoded form. The application I'm building email into is a recruitment one so already has heavy use of databases (I use DBISAM) and I see no point using a different file structure, also since we always want the attachments as seperate documents it makes no sense to store them with the message. It does have at least two consequences: its easier to view the messages since they don't need decoding (just throwing at WPTools so it doesn't matter is its HTML or plain text when its in history or HTMLViewer for looking at ones with pretty pictures - not many of those come with cvs) but its more difficult moving things around different "mailboxes" since files have to be moved as well. Again that's not to much of a problem since cvs go with the candidate and most other incoming mail doesn't have attachments. If you want to use the Microsoft approach have a look at http://www.djpate.freeserve.co.uk/AutoOE.htm there's a link there to show you how to read the .dbx files used to store the messages, but personnaly I believe that eMail cries out for good database technology.

        Sorry to go on so long

        Roy Lambert
[...]

        To modify your subcription options (e.g. stop receiving discussions)
        go to:

        To subscribe/unsubscribe, send blank email to:
          tmail2000-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        To talk only with the moderator, developer of TMail2000, write email to:
          mycelo@...

        Please expect 1-2 weeks for my response.

        PLEASE POST IN ENGLISH!

      • _eclipsed_
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2002
          Thanks for the response, and the link. I'm going to dig through that
          code to possibly be able to import existing users .dbx files. the
          question still remains as to how I should store the files on disk. I
          mean it could be done as a text file, but that doesn't seem efficent
          when someone has more than 10 messages. The database idea is cool,
          but I'm looking at something that won't add alot of bloat to the
          client. I'm trying to keep it as slim as possible. I'd be
          interested in this technique if you have any ideas that would keep
          the bloat to a minimum. Like I said, I'm open to *any* ideas
          relating to a good mail client. Let me know what you people are
          interested in. More importantly, can someone point me in the
          direction of how to store the recieved messages.
          -Adam

          Service.
        • Marcello
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2002
            Hi Mr Adam,

            Mail2000 is an almost complete core for a mail client, "almost" because
            it still runs on some bugs and standards compliances.

            The mentioned file format (EML), is in fact the actually format that
            any mail is expected to be when being transmitted by clients and
            servers, althought it was very customized by Microsoft (eg HTML). Until
            I know, many market-available mail clients store the messages in
            database keeping its original format, even those that remove the
            attachments, replacing the attach data by some sort of link. I suggest
            the decision of removing the attachs be an user option (sometimes you
            want to keep the text message but not that large file, and sometimes
            you may want all things together).

            That big database files (eg MBX) usually are a stream of a lot of mail
            in the original format, all beginning with a litte coded header
            containing redundant data like from, to, date, size, priority and other
            mail information just to make the indexing process faster. Obviously,
            you will have to have an index (IDX), to build the folder browsing and
            locate some message in the database. I suggest to avoid any database
            driver, as they are usually huge and heavy. Paradox is a good option,
            althought it will be very misused. Delphi is good for working with
            streamed files (unfortunatelly not as good as C++).

            Other things I expect from a mail client is being capable of resend a
            message and advanced filters and search possibilities.

            I will be available for any other help.

            Regards,

            > code to possibly be able to import existing users .dbx files. the
            > question still remains as to how I should store the files on disk. I
            >
            > mean it could be done as a text file, but that doesn't seem efficent
            > when someone has more than 10 messages. The database idea is cool,
            > but I'm looking at something that won't add alot of bloat to the
            > client. I'm trying to keep it as slim as possible. I'd be
            > interested in this technique if you have any ideas that would keep
            > the bloat to a minimum. Like I said, I'm open to *any* ideas
            > relating to a good mail client. Let me know what you people are
            > interested in. More importantly, can someone point me in the
            > direction of how to store the recieved messages.
            > -Adam
            > --- In tmail2000@y..., "Roy Lambert" <roy.lambert@n...> wrote:
            > > I'm probably wrong but I think the "eml standard" is a Microsoft
            > standard, however, eml is used by a number of mail programs
            > for "file|save as", not as internal storeage. One that doesn't is
            > Eudora. The main difference is in the the fact that Eudora stores the
            >
            > text in a file, extracts the files and saves them externally and
            > Outlook Express stores the entire incoming message in its encoded
            > form. The application I'm building email into is a recruitment one so
            >
            > already has heavy use of databases (I use DBISAM) and I see no point
            > using a different file structure, also since we always want the
            > attachments as seperate documents it makes no sense to store them
            > with the message. It does have at least two consequences: its easier
            > to view the messages since they don't need decoding (just throwing at
            >
            > WPTools so it doesn't matter is its HTML or plain text when its in
            > history or HTMLViewer for looking at ones with pretty pictures - not
            > many of those come with cvs) but its more difficult moving things
            > around different "mailboxes" since files have to be moved as well.
            > Again that's not to much of a problem since cvs go with the candidate
            >
            > and most other incoming mail doesn't have attachments. If you want to
            >
            > use the Microsoft approach have a look at
            > http://www.djpate.freeserve.co.uk/AutoOE.htm there's a link there to
            > show you how to read the .dbx files used to store the messages, but
            > personnaly I believe that eMail cries out for good database
            > technology.
            > >
            > > Sorry to go on so long
            > >

            > > Roy Lambert

            =====
            Marcello "Panda" Tavares
            mycelo@...
            http://mpanda.8m.com
            ICQ 5831833
            Sorocaba/SP BRAZIL

            Yahoo! GeoCities
            Tenha seu lugar na Web. Construa hoje mesmo sua home page no Yahoo! GeoCities. É fácil e grátis!
            http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/
          • Roy Lambert
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2002
              I don't know what DBISAM adds to the size of programs,(Elevate quote "Has a very small footprint, only 250-300k (base engine size, does not include data access component layer)")  but its a full featured database and probably over the top if you are only doing email, but it is stand alone and compiles into the application so no external files are needed unlike the BDE. Have a look at http://www.unleytools.com/minitable/features.htm this one will (according to their web site) add 200k to the app and is fairly cheap. You could also look on http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/index.htm or http://www.delphi32.com/ and search for database engines - I think there's one out there which is text database manager.

              Roy Lambert
              Thanks for the response, and the link.  I'm going to dig through that
              code to possibly be able to import existing users .dbx files.  the
              question still remains as to how I should store the files on disk.  I
              mean it could be done as a text file, but that doesn't seem efficent
              when someone has more than 10 messages.  The database idea is cool,
              but I'm looking at something that won't add alot of bloat to the
              client.  I'm trying to keep it as slim as possible.  I'd be
              interested in this technique if you have any ideas that would keep
              the bloat to a minimum.  Like I said, I'm open to *any* ideas
              relating to a good mail client.  Let me know what you people are
              interested in.  More importantly, can someone point me in the
              direction of how to store the recieved messages.
              -Adam
              --- In tmail2000@y..., "Roy Lambert" <roy.lambert@n...> wrote:
              > I'm probably wrong but I think the "eml standard" is a Microsoft
              standard, however, eml is used by a number of mail programs
              for "file|save as", not as internal storeage. One that doesn't is
              Eudora. The main difference is in the the fact that Eudora stores the
              text in a file, extracts the files and saves them externally and
              Outlook Express stores the entire incoming message in its encoded
              form. The application I'm building email into is a recruitment one so
              already has heavy use of databases (I use DBISAM) and I see no point
              using a different file structure, also since we always want the
              attachments as seperate documents it makes no sense to store them
              with the message. It does have at least two consequences: its easier
              to view the messages since they don't need decoding (just throwing at
              WPTools so it doesn't matter is its HTML or plain text when its in
              history or HTMLViewer for looking at ones with pretty pictures - not
              many of those come with cvs) but its more difficult moving things
              around different "mailboxes" since files have to be moved as well.
              Again that's not to much of a problem since cvs go with the candidate
              and most other incoming mail doesn't have attachments. If you want to
              use the Microsoft approach have a look at
              http://www.djpate.freeserve.co.uk/AutoOE.htm there's a link there to
              show you how to read the .dbx files used to store the messages, but
              personnaly I believe that eMail cries out for good database
              technology.

              > Sorry to go on so long
              >

              > Roy Lambert

              Service.