Return Receipt Requested

  • michaeldmount@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2001
      Hi,

      I've written an automated email retrieval system and have some
      customers that request a return receipt. When they don't get one
      they resend their emails so we end up with multiple copies of the
      same email.

      Is there a mechanism built into the TMail2000 components that would
      allow me to detect that a return receipt was requested? And is there
      a specific format to reply or can I just provide some useful
      information from their message?

      Thank you in advance,

      Michael Mount
    • michaeldmount@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2001
        Hello,

        To deal with this issue I added the following code to the Mail2000
        unit.

        TMailMessage2000

        private
        function GetReceiptName: String;
        function GetReceiptAddress: String;

        public
        property ReceiptName: String read GetReceiptName;
        property ReceiptAddress: String read GetReceiptAddress;

        implementation

        const
        _DNT = 'Disposition-Notification-To';

        ---

        // Get the Disposition-Notification-To: name

        function TMailMessage2000.GetReceiptName: String;
        begin

        Result := GetDestName(_DNT, 0);
        end;

        // Get the Disposition-Notification-To: address

        function TMailMessage2000.GetReceiptAddress: String;
        begin

        Result := GetDestAddress(_DNT, 0);
        end;

        ---
        I check TMailMessage2000.ReceiptAddress and if it is not blank then I
        format a message and send it to that address.

        Thanks,

        Mike
      • e_val@chat.ru
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
          --- In tmail2000@y..., michaeldmount@y... wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > To deal with this issue I added the following code to the Mail2000
          > unit.
          >
          > TMailMessage2000
          >
          > private
          > function GetReceiptName: String;
          > function GetReceiptAddress: String;
          >
          > public
          > property ReceiptName: String read GetReceiptName;
          > property ReceiptAddress: String read GetReceiptAddress;
          >
          > implementation
          >
          > const
          > _DNT = 'Disposition-Notification-To';
          >
          > ---
          >
          > // Get the Disposition-Notification-To: name
          >
          > function TMailMessage2000.GetReceiptName: String;
          > begin
          >
          > Result := GetDestName(_DNT, 0);
          > end;
          >
          > // Get the Disposition-Notification-To: address
          >
          > function TMailMessage2000.GetReceiptAddress: String;
          > begin
          >
          > Result := GetDestAddress(_DNT, 0);
          > end;
          >
          > ---
          > I check TMailMessage2000.ReceiptAddress and if it is not blank then I
          > format a message and send it to that address.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mike
          "Disposition-Notification-To" field is in fact a request to send
          "reading confirmation" and should be generated by client (like
          Outlook), when the message was read, while "Return-Reciept-To" is a
          requirement to SMTP-server to send a confirmation when it finishes
          receiving the message.

          Thanks,
          Valentine
        • michaeldmount@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2001
            > > Mike
            > "Disposition-Notification-To" field is in fact a request to send
            > "reading confirmation" and should be generated by client (like
            > Outlook), when the message was read, while "Return-Reciept-To" is a
            > requirement to SMTP-server to send a confirmation when it finishes
            > receiving the message.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Valentine

            Valentine,

            Thank you for the information. Disposition-Notification-To is
            exactly what I wanted. I'm returning a receipt indicating that the
            email was processed into our in-house system. From there it is
            printed and distributed to be read (at this stage). Later it will be
            electronically distributed when I get the chance to write the viewing
            system. Even so I still think the actual retrieval system should
            still generate the response.

            Thanks,

            - Mike