BBC Radio documentary

  • Hugh Levinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26 3:02 AM
      BBC Radio documentary

      Dear All,
      I have only recently found about the group and realised that there is some interest in the documentary I am making for the BBC, so I thought I should join the group and tell you a little bit about what I am up to.

      I am a producer with BBC Radio Current Affairs in London. I have made many history documentaries, several of them about the period of WWII. I am now making a half-hour documentary, to be broadcast on October 30th at 8 pm UK time on BBC Radio 4, the main speech and news channel in the UK. The title will be "The Long Walk." The presenter will be Tim Whewell, formerly the BBC's Moscow correspondent, and a man who knows the old Soviet Union extremely well.

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/crossing_continents/3328775.stm
      You will be able to listen to the programme for one week after broadcast from the "Listen Again" page of the Radio 4 website:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml
      Scroll down to L for Long Walk.
      If you have any problems hearing the programme please contact me directly.
      The purpose of the programme will be to celebrate the book on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of its publication and to help introduce it to a new audience. Naturally, much of the programme will be devoted to trying to establish the truth or otherwise of the book. We are trying to approach this in as open-minded a way as possible, garnering the arguments on both sides and establishing whatever facts we can.

      As you will know, it's heavy going. But it is absolutely fascinating and one can easily become obsessed. Unfortunately, we don't have the budget to do all the things we really should: travel to Siberia, Calcutta, Poland, Belarus, Israel, Iran and more. So we are doing our best with the resources we do have. I will endeavour to make any evidence we do uncover as freely available as is practical.

      Finally, can I make an appeal? If any member of the group has unearthed any factual information that you could feed into our documentary, I would be incredibly grateful for it. You would of course be fully credited. It seems many members have done a lot of work on identifying Mr. Smith. Any scrap of information about him would be gold dust for our purposes.

      With best wishes,
      Hugh Levinson         hugh.levinson@...
      BBC Radio Current Affairs
      1210 BBC White City
      201 Wood Lane
      London W12 7TS
      UK

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/

      stated.
      BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.

    • BobJTurner@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30 11:43 AM
        Dear Mr. Levinson;

        I investigated the Long Walk over a number of years, and made a number of contacts of people like myself that were interested in the book.

        I did communicate with a Mr. Aleksander Topolski, now living in Toronto, who knew Slavomir Rawicz in London in the period after the war. You should contact Mr. Topolski, as he has some interesting things to say about Rawicz, The Long Walk., and the reaction of the Polish comunity in London.

        Topolski has written a very good book of his own experiences in Soviet camps.  http://www.withoutvodka.com/

        I hope to listen to your program.

        Bob Turner

        In a message dated 7/26/2006 5:06:12 AM Central Standard Time, hugh.levinson@... writes:

        : hugh.levinson@...

      • Hugh Levinson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31 3:33 AM
          Dear Bob,
          Thanks for the message and the suggestion. I managed to meet Aleks while he was in London a few months ago and he gave me a fascinating interview. I don't think he knew Rawicz personally but he attended a celebrated lecture and discussion given a few months after the publication of "The Long Walk," at which some of the London Polish community were pretty doubtful about the book. He himself is generally skeptical about the escape and in particular questioned the I second your recommendation of "Without Vodka." It's a powerful and very entertaining read.
          With best wishes,
          Hugh

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
            Many of the people on this list are highly skeptical of the whole book.  A lot of us very much wanted to believe it, but huge parts of it just don't add up.  Every other "Gulag Survivor" book out there, and there are many, have details that can be confirmed.  TLW1941 had absolutely nothing which could be independently verified.

            I have had historical works published and had to justify every fact I stated with secondary sources, so I know how liberal the publishers were with Rawicz's book.  If I was a betting man, his book will go down in history as one of the best, but totally bogus, stories of survival. Maybe Rawicz never told anyone the real truth, so he took it to the grave.

            Joe Walker
            Los Angeles

            In a message dated 7/26/2006 5:06:12 AM Central Standard Time, hugh.levinson@ bbc.co.uk writes:

            : hugh.levinson@ bbc.co.uk

            http://www.bbc. co.uk/

            stated.
            BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.

          • Lech Lesiak
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
              --- Joe Walker <joe_walker_2000@...> wrote:

              > Many of the people on this list are highly skeptical
              > of the whole book. A lot of us very much wanted to
              > believe it, but huge parts of it just don't add up.
              > Every other "Gulag Survivor" book out there, and
              > there are many, have details that can be confirmed.
              > TLW1941 had absolutely nothing which could be
              > independently verified.

              I'm one of the skeptics, but it's still a helluva read
              if simply for its entertainment value.

              Cheers,
              Lech

              http://mail.yahoo.com