slight memory

  • Charlotte Ballard
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2012

      I had a slight memory recall just a moment ago. I could feel myself in one of those sailor tops (Edwardian) that was so popular during that period. My dark hair was pulled back and I know I had a big saggy bow in it. I had black skirt or bloomers on and I was supposed to be practicing the piano. I got it when I was sitting at my own piano now. I must have been 13 or 14 or so.

      No particular significance to anyone but me – those brief bits of memory that come. Each one is another bit of proof (again only to me) that I really did live then. I think I am going to lean into the memories more when they come to see what else might come.  I can “feel” the clothes and the hair, and even the bit of emotion with it—a dash of “I’d rather be doing something else” mood.

      Does anyone else get those little tantalizing chunks of memory? How do you “know” that it’s memory and not imagination or your own memory? For me—when I “feel” it—in detail—what I am wearing etc.

      Actually, this e-mail was not very important at all, but only a way to “break the ice” so-to-speak…

      Charlotte

    • Steve Sakellarios
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2012
        I will confirm that that's precisely the way they come to me. They remain clear in my mind, and every time I revisit them, they are exactly the same--no less, no more. Just the same tantalizing glimpse, a glimpse that might have lasted a fraction of a second, but which included in it volumes about how I felt, what I felt about the world, and my life, etc. Some of these glimpses can be verified historically. If the history seems to go against them, don't give up right away--because many times, if you look deeply enough into it, the recorded history will turn out to be wrong!
        Steve S.