RE: [titanicmemories] New member here :)

  • Charlotte Ballard
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011

      Welcome! Glad you are here.

      Charlotte

      From: titanicmemories@yahoogroups.com [mailto:titanicmemories@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Suzzie
      Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:46 PM
      To: titanicmemories@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [titanicmemories] New member here :)

      Hi Group:

          Just finished reading all the old posts.  Your room stopped everything I planned on doing today. Thank you for allowing me to be here.

          Suzzie

    • Seren Gwyn
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
        Hi Suzzie and welcome to the group. All the people here are great and very helpful with a wealth of info regarding the Titanic and of course past lives!
      • Nicole Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
          Welcome Suzzie, I like your take on that! Also, thanks Albert for the heads up on the new book coming out. I will be adding that to my list also:)

          --- In titanicmemories@yahoogroups.com, "Suzzie" <2zsu@...> wrote:

          > Hi Albert. I don't remember the day I fell in love with our Titanic many years ago. First it was the pictures in the books. Later I would read about the tragedy. Then I would go back to the books and pay attention to the people. Now I enjoy reading the construction and mechanics of our Titanic. It's weird. It's like there is some kind of collective consciousness in the ethers around us. Somehow, a few of us catch the Titanic consciousness of others if there is no direct link to the ship or the people involved. I seriously don't know how I got to this point. I absolutely love it....and bellydancing. LOL!

        • Bill Casciato barnes
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
            Welcome to the group, Suzie

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011

              Welcome to the group, Suzie.

              There's a not-all-that-new book called "The Other Side Of The Night" about the efforts of the Carpathia and (non) efforts of the Californian that's really interesting.  Their stories are dramatic too.

              "Shadow Of Titanic" sounds like a nice take on the disaster too.  I don't know if anyone was ever officially diagnosed with PTSD or Survivor's Guilt back then, but that didn't mean they didn't have it!

              Molly

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
                Molly, when I read the review of the book, it talked about survivors' guilt a little and mentioned subsequent suicides among those who had survived. I'm really interested because I'm sure I survived  and yet can't seem to find any info on my later years in that life. Mary seems to've fallen off the face of the earth, but I know that isn't so. I just can't remember. Maybe because I wanted to forget?
                --Sharon C.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                  Sharon,

                  "Wanting to forget" is very possible.  Have you checked genealogy sites and census records?  She probably didn't drop off the face of the Earth but maybe wanted to live quiet and forget.

                  Your comment about suicides reminded me of Jack Thayer and Fred Fleet.  Fleet seemed to do okay (or at least acted okay) till his wife died, and then he hung himself from a clothesline.  Jack Thayer did the same thing -- acted okay, even wrote a book about the disaster -- and then slit his own throat.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011

                    I think a lot of the survivors had a LOT of survivors guilt, and it ate at them for the rest of their lives.   I also think that some of them had spirits attached that drove them to do things such as write books, memoirs and even diaries and when that was done, the person just felt they're task was over.

                    Marta