Several Questions for William Barnes...aha Thomas Andrews.

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2010
      Hello Mr. Barnes,

      Ever since James Cameron made Titanic I became obsessed with it. One day I was watching a special on TV and it was about you. It fascinated me because I believed right off the bat without any spec of doubt everything you said. Below are questiones I had...

      1. When the iceberg was sited why didn't Murdoch have the ship run into it? It would have only caused minor damage to the bow and nothing more.

      2. Did you see J. Bruce Ismay jump into a lifeboat? He claims a crew member did it not knowing who he was. But, everyone knows their employer!

      3. How did Captain Smith died? Many people have different opinions, but seeing as you went to heaven, you probably could answer. There was talk of suicide and some say smith did it other's say Murdoch. Who killed themselves? And, if it wasn't the Captain, how did he die and/or Murdoch?

      4. I haven't read your book yet but I plan to. I read somewhere you saw a peach colored mass fall on you(apparently killing you.) Does this mean it was you that was killed with the first smoke stack that fell?

      5. AS I watch the Cameron film I always wandered, if chairs could float in the water, why didn't anyone just think to throw all the furnitures onto the ocean if they could float?

      6. Last but not least, while observing the compartments,why did anyone think to fill the last two? I know that it would sink if filled with 5 but if there were a balance between water and the last two were filled, it probably could've balance the weight so that the bow wouldn't go under and fill the rest of the ship.

      I hope these questions aren't offending I'm just curious. I loo forward to your reply.

      A.S.
    • Bill Casciato
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19, 2010

        Hello Mr. Barnes,

        Ever since James Cameron made Titanic I became obsessed with it. One day I was watching a special on TV and it was about you. It fascinated me because I believed right off the bat without any spec of doubt everything you said. Below are questiones I had...

        1. When the iceberg was sited why didn't Murdoch have the ship run into it? It would have only caused minor damage to the bow and nothing more.

        Tommie noted the same thing as you.  Murdoch made many mistakes including reversing the propellers thus not allowing Tittanic to turn away faster.  It was a combination of things like this that caused damage

        2. Did you see J. Bruce Ismay jump into a lifeboat? He claims a crew member did it not knowing who he was. But, everyone knows their employer!

        No but Tommie learned of it later from John Astor.

        3. How did Captain Smith died? Many people have different opinions, but seeing as you went to heaven, you probably could answer. There was talk of suicide and some say smith did it other's say Murdoch. Who killed themselves? And, if it wasn't the Captain, how did he die and/or Murdoch?

        The captain went to the wheel house as far as I can remember and died when the water broke through.

        4. I haven't read your book yet but I plan to. I read somewhere you saw a peach colored mass fall on you(apparently killing you.) Does this mean it was you that was killed with the first smoke stack that fell?

        Tommie was hit by the falling forward funnel.  The mass of peach colored steel as you speak of was in dreams I had as a youngster  this time around.

        5. AS I watch the Cameron film I always wandered, if chairs could float in the water, why didn't anyone just think to throw all the furnitures onto the ocean if they could float? They did indeed throw off chairs, Tommie did that as well.

        6. Last but not least, while observing the compartments, why did anyone think to fill the last two? I know that it would sink if filled with 5 but if there were a balance between water and the last two were filled, it probably could've balance the weight so that the bow wouldn't go under and fill the rest of the ship.

        It was proposed doing something similar, i.e. opening all the doors to the compartments.  Titanic would have capsized.  Also they were able to keep the electricity running longer in hopes she would be seen.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2010
          Thanks for the response Mr. Barnes/Tommy. It clarified everything I had always wondered. I couldn't begin to imagine the terror and fear that happened that night. Knowing you're going to die. You truly were brave and indeed deserve to go to heaven. May God Bless you.

          A.S.

          --- In titanicmemories@yahoogroups.com, Bill Casciato <sammibird@...> wrote:

          > Hello Mr. Barnes,
          >

          > Ever since James Cameron made Titanic I became obsessed with it. One day I was watching a special on TV and it was about you. It fascinated me because I believed right off the bat without any spec of doubt everything you said. Below are questiones I had...
          >

          > 1. When the iceberg was sited why didn't Murdoch have the ship run into it? It would have only caused minor damage to the bow and nothing more.Tommie noted the same thing as you. Murdoch made many mistakes including reversing the propellers thus not allowing Tittanic to turn away faster. It was a combination of things like this that caused damage
          >

          > 2. Did you see J. Bruce Ismay jump into a lifeboat? He claims a crew member did it not knowing who he was. But, everyone knows their employer! No but Tommie learned of it later from John Astor.
          >

          > 3. How did Captain Smith died? Many people have different opinions, but seeing as you went to heaven, you probably could answer. There was talk of suicide and some say smith did it other's say Murdoch. Who killed themselves? And, if it wasn't the Captain, how did he die and/or Murdoch?The captain went to the wheel house as far as I can remember and died when the water broke through.
          >

          > 4. I haven't read your book yet but I plan to. I read somewhere you saw a peach colored mass fall on you(apparently killing you.) Does this mean it was you that was killed with the first smoke stack that fell?Tommie was hit by the falling forward funnel. The mass of peach colored steel as you speak of was in dreams I had as a youngster this time around.
          >

          > 5. AS I watch the Cameron film I always wandered, if chairs could float in the water, why didn't anyone just think to throw all the furnitures onto the ocean if they could float? They did indeed throw off chairs, Tommie did that as well.
          >

          > 6. Last but not least, while observing the compartments, why did anyone think to fill the last two? I know that it would sink if filled with 5 but if there were a balance between water and the last two were filled, it probably could've balance the weight so that the bow wouldn't go under and fill the rest of the ship.It was proposed doing something similar, i.e. opening all the doors to the compartments. Titanic would have capsized. Also they were able to keep the electricity running longer in hopes she would be seen.
          >

          > I hope these questions aren't offending I'm just curious. I loo forward to your reply.
          >

          > A.S.

        • Michael Iversen
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2010
            Hmm, all I got from Bill was empty lines and one A; did everyone else get the full response from Bill?

            Thanks for the response Mr. Barnes/Tommy. It clarified everything I had always wondered. I couldn't begin to imagine the terror and fear that happened that night. Knowing you're going to die. You truly were brave and indeed deserve to go to heaven. May God Bless you.

            A.S.

            --- In titanicmemories@ yahoogroups. com, Bill Casciato <sammibird@. ..> wrote:

            > Hello Mr. Barnes,
            >

            > Ever since James Cameron made Titanic I became obsessed with it. One day I was watching a special on TV and it was about you. It fascinated me because I believed right off the bat without any spec of doubt everything you said. Below are questiones I had...
            >

            > 1. When the iceberg was sited why didn't Murdoch have the ship run into it? It would have only caused minor damage to the bow and nothing more.Tommie noted the same thing as you. Murdoch made many mistakes including reversing the propellers thus not allowing Tittanic to turn away faster. It was a combination of things like this that caused damage
            >

            > 2. Did you see J. Bruce Ismay jump into a lifeboat? He claims a crew member did it not knowing who he was. But, everyone knows their employer! No but Tommie learned of it later from John Astor.
            >

            > 3. How did Captain Smith died? Many people have different opinions, but seeing as you went to heaven, you probably could answer. There was talk of suicide and some say smith did it other's say Murdoch. Who killed themselves? And, if it wasn't the Captain, how did he die and/or Murdoch?The captain went to the wheel house as far as I can remember and died when the water broke through.
            >

            > 4. I haven't read your book yet but I plan to. I read somewhere you saw a peach colored mass fall on you(apparently killing you.) Does this mean it was you that was killed with the first smoke stack that fell?Tommie was hit by the falling forward funnel. The mass of peach colored steel as you speak of was in dreams I had as a youngster this time around.
            >

            > 5. AS I watch the Cameron film I always wandered, if chairs could float in the water, why didn't anyone just think to throw all the furnitures onto the ocean if they could float? They did indeed throw off chairs, Tommie did that as well.
            >

            > 6. Last but not least, while observing the compartments, why did anyone think to fill the last two? I know that it would sink if filled with 5 but if there were a balance between water and the last two were filled, it probably could've balance the weight so that the bow wouldn't go under and fill the rest of the ship.It was proposed doing something similar, i.e. opening all the doors to the compartments. Titanic would have capsized. Also they were able to keep the electricity running longer in hopes she would be seen.
            >

            > I hope these questions aren't offending I'm just curious. I loo forward to your reply.
            >

            > A.S.

          • Erin Hopkins
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 19, 2010
              I could see what was written.