Re: [tips_and_tricks] BOUVIER'S LAW DICTIONARY

  • hobot
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8 3:52 PM
      I ask someone point out what the significance of any
      differences in the two titles pages are?

      hobot

    • paradoxmagnus@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10 4:29 PM
        The significance wasn't in the differences between the two pages, but in the DISTINCTIONS that were made.

        Such as the "CONSTITUTION AND LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and the "SEVERAL STATES OF THE AMERICAN UNION"
        Such as the "Civil and Other Systems of Foreign Law."
        As are these ADMISSIONS made by Bouvier in the preface.
        "In the mean time the law has undergone a great change.  Formerly the principal object of the law seemed to be to regulate real property, in all its various artificial modifications, while little or no attention was bestowed upon the rules which govern personal property and rights.  The mercantile law has since arisen, like a bright pyramid, amid the gloom of the feudal law, and is now far more important in practice, than that which refers to real estate.  The law of real property, too, has changed, particularly in this country.
        Upon an examination of the constitution and laws of the United States, and of the several states of the American Union, he perceived many technical expressions and much valuable information which he would be able to incorporate in his work.  Many of these laws, although local in their nature, will be found useful to every lawyer, particularly those engaged in mercantile practice.  As instances of such laws the reader is referred to the articles Acknowledgment, Descent, Divorce, Letters of Administration, and Limitatio."
        Patrick in California

        "You DO NOT REGULATE people, you REGULATE currency, property, motor vehicles, persons and other instruments of COMMERCE."-PKM