Re: [tips_and_tricks] Police Perjury - What about the judges?

  • dbrascojr
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2005
      Don - you are sooo right - to expose the corruption firsthand!
      www.crookedcolumbiacounty.com

      Don Schwarz <vigilespaladin@...> wrote:
      ALL COURT PROCEEDINGS
      should be put on local cable TV or
      on the Internet.

      "Sunlight is the best disinfectant"
      Justice Brandeis.

      "What are they ashamed of in their courts?"
      Don Schwarz

      At 01:35 AM 12/3/05 -0800, you wrote:
      >If  cops lieing at trial pisses you off, what about when people tell the
      >truth, then the judge diddles the transcript?
      ><http://www.crookedcolumbiacounty.com>www.crookedcolumbiacounty.com
      >
      >Advancepum@... wrote:
      >They lie more in the trials and  get away with it all of the time. Then
      >you have to prove that they are lieing to get to an even point in the trial.
      >Paul
      >>
      >>When they are legally permitted to lie:

    • Don Schwarz
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2005

        How do you know if the system is broken
        and needs fixing, if you ain't sitting there
        in the courtroom and try to convince about
        100,000 people in your state the courts are broken?

        Imagine if only 1000 people were able to see
        a single court proceeding how it would affect
        what they were talking about.

        The media only covers show trials. When the off-duty drunk
        cop was in the South Boston court, there were no cameras.
        When the Quincy cops were in court for shooting up the
        street lights in the City, there were no cameras in court
        then either!

        Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but being ignorant
        of what's going on in our courts is OK!

        Imagine if my court proceedings were televised
        and you could have watched the cops refuse
        to testify under oath pleading the 5th!

        "Sunlight ( televised proceedings) is the best disinfectant"
        ------------------------------------------------------- Justice Brandeis

        "What you don't know can make you lose your rights!"
        ----------------------------------------------- Don.

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2005
          On Dec 2, 2005, at 9:23 PM, Advancepum@... wrote:

          > They lie more in the trials and  get away with it all of the time.
          > Then you have to prove that they are lieing to get to an even point in
          > the trial.

          Have you ever stopped to consider what it takes to go from being one of
          "us" to one of "them"?

          "They" do not become one of "them" until a certain REQUIRED INITIAL
          TASK is performed. Can you guess what that is? Can you prove anyone
          ever performed it? Here in California I haven't been able to prove
          that anyone is "qualified" to call themselves one of "them" (conforming
          to the dictates of established law).

          From what I see around me, all the "victims" are willing participants
          in a game of charades.

          For example, in order to even get into a "trial" (more likely, a "sham
          proceeding"), a prospective "victim" (of "their" lies) has to go
          through the process of "arraignment", unless of course they waive their
          rights, which happens to be the most popular course of action around
          these here parts.

          Here, when a proposed victim demands an arraignment, "they" are hard
          pressed to produce a REAL one (conforming to "their" own definition).
          If you call "them" on the irregularities, they pretend to start over.
          I don't like starting once, much less over again, so I like to call
          liars on the VERY FIRST LIE they tell me (no one can reasonably be
          expected to pay any further attention to anything a proven liar says).
          The first one is, "I'm one of THEM". I reply that criminal
          impersonation is a crime, and would be an arrestable offense if
          committed in my presence, and that I have a file on all of "THEM" who
          frequent my area, and "you" are NOT one of "THEM".
          And I offer to prove it if requested. Nobody has yet asked me to prove
          that they are not qualified to continue to receive their regular
          paychecks, or had me arrested for "resisting an officer". You cannot
          resist what is not there. Everyone has the right to resist a criminal
          impersonator.

          And everyone has the right to roll over and waive as many rights as
          come to mind.

          Lying cops are mere leaves on a much bigger tree. Chop the root and
          leaves won't pile up.

          And, you cannot "wait" for a democratic majority to bring justice about
          in your lifetime. You must act independently. No one will care more
          about YOUR rights than you do.

          To become a victim of a lying cop in a trial requires that one waive a
          very long string of rights. Failure to timely claim a right if it is
          being violated amounts to a waiver. Everyone should try to refrain
          from making as many rights waivers as they can. Unfortunately, often
          the carrots of convenience and expedience lead the lazy to make one
          after another waiver. And then they whine and complain later, sitting
          in their cell, when it all could have been avoided with more effort in
          the beginning, by not accepting that very first lie.
        • Scott
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
            TESTILYING: POLICE PERJURY AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT
            (Cite as: 67 U. Colo. L. Rev. 1037)

            University of Colorado Law Review
            Fall 1996

            Reform
            The Police

            Christopher Slobogin [FNa]

            Copyright © 1996 University of Colorado Law Review, Inc.; Christopher

            Slobogin

            O.J. Simpson's trial for the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson
            and Ronald Goldman provided the nation with at least two pristine
            examples of police perjury. First, there was the exposure of
            Detective Marc Fuhrman as a liar. While under oath at trial the
            detective firmly asserted, in response to F. Lee Bailey's questions,
            that he had not used the word "nigger" in the past decade. The
            McKinny tapes and assorted other witnesses made clear this statement
            was an untruth. That proof of perjury, together with the defense's
            innuendo that Fuhrman had planted a glove smeared with Nicole's
            blood on Simpson's property, severely damaged the prosecution's
            case. [FN1]

            Second, and less well known, is Judge Lance Ito's finding that
            Detective Philip Vannatter had demonstrated a "reckless disregard
            for the truth" in the warrant application for the search of
            Simpson's house. Among other misrepresentations, [FN2] Vannatter
            insinuated that Simpson had suddenly taken flight to Chicago when in
            fact police knew the trip had been planned for months, and
            unequivocally asserted that the substance found on Simpson's Bronco
            was blood when in fact it had not yet been tested. [FN3]

            A third possible series of perjurious incidents occurred at the
            suppression hearing, when both Fuhrman and Vannatter stated that
            police investigating Simpson's compound had not considered O.J. a
            suspect, but rather had entered the premises solely out of concern
            for the athlete's welfare (and therefore had not needed probable
            cause or a warrant). Although both Judge Ito and *1038 Magistrate
            Kathleen Kennedy Powell accepted these assertions, [FN4] most who
            have considered the matter believe otherwise, [FN5] on the common
            sense ground that police who knew that O.J. had beaten Nicole on
            past occasions, found what appeared to be blood on his car, and were
            unable to locate him after the murders would zero in on him as a
            possible culprit.

            If one believes the defense theory of the case, Fuhrman's and
            Vannatter's deceitful exploits were a racist attempt to send an
            innocent person to jail, [FN6] as well as a form of protective
            lying, meant to prevent discovery of their own criminal activity in
            planting evidence. If one believes the prosecution's theory, these
            lies were merely a well intentioned effort, albeit an improper one,
            to ensure conviction of a guilty person. On the latter theory,
            Fuhrman's denials at trial were meant to avoid a topic that would
            only have distracted the jury from the "real" issue. Similarly,
            Vannatter's lies in the warrant application and Fuhrman's and
            Vannatter's probable dissembling at the suppression hearing were
            designed to cover up irregularities in the evidence gathering
            process that, if discovered, might have lead to exclusion of crucial
            incriminating information.

            We may never know with certainty the reason for the perjury in the
            Simpson case. But we do know that, whatever the motivation, the
            perjury was wrong. If the lying occurred to frame an innocent
            person, it was clearly corrupt. If instead it was meant to
            facilitate conviction of a person the police witnesses thought to be
            guilty, it was also reprehensible. Although, as we shall see, many
            police and even some attorneys and judges seem to think otherwise,
            lying to convict a guilty person is wrong for several reasons. It
            is wrong because it involves lying under oath to judicial officers
            and jurors. It is wrong because it keeps from those fact finders
            information relevant to constitutional and other *1039 issues. And
            it is wrong because the police cannot be counted upon to get guilt
            right.

            Perhaps most importantly, police lying intended to convict
            someone, whether thought to be guilty or innocent, is wrong because
            once it is discovered, it diminishes one of our most crucial "social
            goods" trust in government. [FN7] First, of course, the exposure
            of police perjury damages the credibility of police testimony. As
            the aftermath of the Fuhrman debacle has shown, the revelation that
            some police routinely and casually lie under oath makes members of
            the public, including those who serve on juries, less willing to
            believe all police, truthful or not. One comment that a New York
            prosecutor made about the impact of the Simpson case illustrates the
            point: "Our prosecutors now have to begin their cases defending the
            cops. Prosecutors have to bring the jury around to the opinion that
            cops aren't lying. That's how much the landscape has changed." [FN8]

            Police perjury can cause other systemic damage as well.
            Presumably, for instance, the loss of police credibility on the
            stand diminishes law enforcement's effectiveness in the streets.
            Most significantly, to the extent other actors, such as prosecutors
            and judges, are perceived to be ignoring or condoning police
            perjury, [FN9] the loss of public trust may extend beyond law
            enforcement to the criminal justice system generally.

            *1040 Although both lying to convict the innocent and lying to
            convict the guilty thus deserve condemnation, this article will
            focus on the latter because it is the more resistant to change and
            the more prevalent (two traits that are not unrelated). Lying to
            convict the innocent is undoubtedly rejected by most police, as well
            as by others, as immoral and unjustifiable. In contrast, lying
            intended to convict the guilty in particular, lying to evade the
            consequences of the exclusionary rule [FN10] is so common and so
            accepted in some jurisdictions that the police themselves have come
            up with a name for it: "testilying." [FN11]

            Part I of this article describes the nature and causes of
            testilying in more detail. Part II then examines several proposals
            for curtailing it, ranging from expansion of the warrant requirement
            to the use of polygraph examinations at suppression hearings. All
            of these proposals are found at least partially wanting, if for no
            other reason than that they are aimed at suppressing lying by the
            police, rather than at reducing the pressure that causes it. Part
            III thus advances another proposal, or actually a trio of
            proposals. Specifically, it suggests that redefining probable cause
            in a more flexible manner and replacing the exclusionary rule with a
            damages remedy, together with clear rewards and punishments
            connected with lying, would significantly decrease testilying by
            diminishing the urge both to lie and to cover it up. While these
            proposals may be viewed as drastic medicine, they are defensible in
            their own right, and at the same time may go a long way toward
            shoring up the trust in the police and other government officials
            that is essential to a well functioning law enforcement and
            criminal justice system.

            *1041 I. The Nature of Testilying

            Whether it is conjecture by individual observers, [FN12] a survey
            of criminal attorneys, [FN13] or a more sophisticated study, [FN14]
            the existing literature demonstrates a widespread belief that
            testilying is a frequent occurrence. Of course, there is Alan
            Dershowitz's well known assertion (made long before his
            participation in the O.J. Simpson case) that "almost all" officers
            lie to convict the guilty. [FN15] Dershowitz may have been engaging
            in hyperbole, but his claim is not as far off as one might think.
            In one survey, defense attorneys, prosecutors, and judges estimated
            that police perjury at Fourth Amendment suppression hearings occurs
            in twenty to fifty percent of the cases. [FN16] Jerome Skolnick, a
            veteran observer of the police, has stated that police perjury of
            this type is "systematic." [FN17] Even prosecutors or at least
            former *1042 prosecutors use terms like "routine,"
            [FN18] "commonplace," [FN19] and "prevalent" [FN20] to describe the
            phenomenon. Few knowledgeable persons are willing to say that
            police perjury about investigative matters is sporadic or rare,
            except perhaps the police, and, as noted above, [FN21] even many of
            them believe it is common enough to merit a label all its own. [FN22]

            Although testilying can occur at any stage of the criminal
            process, including trial, it usually takes place during the
            investigative and pretrial stages, since it is most frequently an
            attempt to cover up illicit evidence gathering. One of the best
            descriptions of such perjury comes from the Mollen Commission, named
            after Judge Milton Mollen, who led an investigation into corruption
            in the New York City Police Department in the early 1990s:
            Officers reported a litany of manufactured tales. For example,
            when officers unlawfully stop and search a vehicle because they
            believe it contains drugs or guns, officers will falsely claim in
            police reports and under oath that the car ran a red light (or
            committed some other traffic violation) and that they subsequently
            saw contraband in the car in plain view. To conceal an unlawful
            search of an individual who officers believe is carrying drugs or a
            gun, they will falsely assert that they saw a bulge in the person's
            pocket or saw drugs and money changing hands. To justify unlawfully
            entering an apartment where officers believe narcotics or cash can
            be found, they pretend to have information from an unidentified
            civilian informant or claim they saw the drugs in plain view after
            responding to the premises on a radio run. To arrest people they
            suspect are guilty of dealing drugs, they falsely assert that the
            defendants *1043 had drugs in their possession when, in fact, the
            drugs were found elsewhere where the officers had no lawful right to
            be. [FN23]

            As this excerpt suggests, the most common venue for testilying is
            the suppression hearing and the most frequent type of suppression
            hearing perjury is post hoc fabrication of probable cause. [FN24]
            However, lying about events in the interrogation room may be routine
            as well. Professor Richard Uviller's on the spot observations of
            the police led him to conclude, for example, that police may
            often "advance slightly the moment at which the Miranda warnings
            were recited to satisfy the courts' insistence that they precede the
            very first question in a course of interrogation." [FN25]

            The Mollen Report excerpt also refers to testilying during the
            warrant application process, which the Fourth Amendment requires
            take place under oath. [FN26] Although estimating its prevalence is
            difficult, police misrepresentation on the application form and in
            oral testimony to the warrant magistrate has been recounted by
            numerous observers. [FN27] Most frequent, it seems, is the
            invention of "confidential informants" (like the "unidentified
            civilian informant" referred to in the excerpt), a ploy that allows
            police to cover up irregularities in developing probable cause or to
            assert they have probable cause when in fact all they have is a
            hunch. [FN28]

            *1044 Finally, police perjury also occurs in connection with the
            fabrication of their reports. Although not technically testimony,
            police know these reports may be dispositive in a case resolved
            through plea bargaining, and can be compared to testimony in cases
            that aren't. As a result, "reportilying" also appears to be
            pervasive in some jurisdictions. The Mollen Commission, for
            instance, described how narcotics police "falsify arrest papers to
            make it appear as if an arrest that actually occurred inside a
            building [in violation of departmental regulations] took place on
            the street." [FN29] Professor Stanley Fisher has also documented
            prolific use of the "double filing" system, in which the official
            police file forwarded to the prosecution and provided to the defense
            is cleansed of exculpatory facts or possible impeachment evidence.
            [FN30]

            The most obvious explanation for all of this lying is a desire to
            see the guilty brought to "justice." As law enforcement officers,
            the police do not want a person they know to be a criminal to escape
            conviction simply because of a "technical" violation of the
            Constitution, a procedural formality, or a trivial "exculpatory"
            fact. As Skolnick puts it, the officer "lies because he is
            skeptical of a system that suppresses truth in the interest of the
            criminal." [FN31] A related reason for police dissembling is the
            institutional pressure to produce "results," which can lead police
            to cut corners in an effort to secure convictions. [FN32] Peer
            practice may also play a role. One reason Skolnick says police
            perjury is "systematic" is that "police know that other police are
            perjuring themselves." [FN33]

            *1045 These motivations are probably not the whole explanation,
            however. The police officer who lies to convict a criminal is
            generally lying under oath in a public legal forum. [FN34] Thus,
            the lying officer is exposed to criminal charges in a proceeding
            involving a legally trained adversary and open to indeed, usually
            directed against those who can prove the perjury.

            That perjury persists despite these risks can be explained by one
            simple factor: police think they can get away with it. Police are
            seldom made to pay for their lying. To some extent, this immunity
            may be due to their own expertise at deceit. Many prosecutors and
            judges believe perjury is systematic and often suspect it is
            occurring in individual cases. But they also frequently claim that
            they are not sure enough to do anything about it; [FN35] after all,
            the typical situation pits a police officer, well trained on how
            to "constitutionalize" a case, against a person charged with a
            crime, who is decidedly less aware of the relevant law.

            However, many observers believe that perjury is frequently
            apparent, and that, even so, prosecutors and judges rarely take
            action against it. [FN36] The Simpson trial is a case in point. As
            Alan Dershowitz stated:
            *1046 [T]he prosecutors knew that Fuhrman was a racist, a
            perjurer, and an evidence planter before they put him on the stand.
            An assistant district attorney, among others, warned the Simpson
            prosecutors about Fuhrman. The prosecutors also saw his
            psychological reports, in which he admitted his racist attitudes and
            actions. The only thing they didn't know is that Fuhrman and they
            would be caught by the tapes. [FN37]

            While Dershowitz's take on the issue might be tainted by his
            involvement in the case, the view of Scott Turow, a former
            prosecutor, is not. As he stated in a New York Times op ed piece
            about the prosecution's use of Fuhrman and Vannatter, "[t]he fact
            that the district attorney's office put these officers on the
            witness stand to tell [their] story and that the municipal judge at
            the pretrial hearing, Kathleen Kennedy Powell, accepted it is
            scandalous. It is also routine." [FN38]

            Probably the most stunning evidence of prosecutorial and judicial
            nonchalance toward police perjury is Myron Orfield's study of the
            Chicago system. [FN39] His study is stunning because, unlike many of
            the comments on this issue, [FN40] Orfield's findings are based on
            the views of prosecutors and judges as well as those of defense
            attorneys. In his survey of these three groups (which together
            comprised twenty seven to forty one individuals, depending on the
            question), 52% believed that at least "half of the time" the
            prosecutor "knows or has reason to know" that police fabricate
            evidence at suppression hearings, and 93%, including 89% of the
            prosecutors, stated that prosecutors had such knowledge of
            perjury "at least some of the time." [FN41] Sixty one percent,
            including 50% of the state's attorneys, believed that prosecutors
            know or have reason to know that police fabricate evidence in case
            reports, and 50% of the prosecutors believed the same with respect
            to warrants (despite the fact that many prosecutors refused to talk
            about this latter area). [FN42] While close to half of all
            respondents believed that prosecutors "discourage" such perjury and
            fabrication, [FN43] a greater percentage believed that
            they "tolerate" *1047 it, [FN44] and 15% believed that prosecutors
            actually "encourage" it. [FN45] One former prosecutor described
            what he called a "commonly used" technique of steering police
            testimony by telling officers "[i] f this happens, we win. If this
            happens, we lose." [FN46] Most amazingly, 29% of the respondents
            did not equate lying at a suppression hearing with the crime of
            perjury. [FN47] Although the respondents' views on judicial, as
            opposed to prosecutorial, attitudes toward testilying were not as
            directly plumbed in this survey, when asked whether Chicago's
            criminal justice system effectively controls policy perjury at
            suppression hearings, 69% of the respondents answered "no." [FN48]

            Prosecutors put up with perjury because they need a good working
            relationship with the police to make their cases. [FN49]
            Additionally, at bottom, they probably agree with the police that
            the end justifies the means. [FN50] Judicial acquiescence to
            perjury can be explained to some extent by prosecutorial failure to
            make the case for it. But defense attorney arguments and the
            judge's own observations can provide plenty of evidence of
            testilying in at least some cases. To the extent judges ignore
            obvious perjury, it is probably for the same reasons attributable to
            the prosecutor: sympathy for the police officer's ultimate goal
            [FN51] and, as Professor *1048 Morgan Cloud put it, "tact" the fact
            that "[j]udges simply do not like to call other government officials
            liars especially those who appear regularly in court." [FN52]

            II. Some Proposals for Reducing Testilying

            Several obvious ways of minimizing testilying suggest themselves.
            One such method is to sensitize the police, through training, to the
            immorality and dangers of perjury. Along the same lines, Skolnick
            has suggested that, as lawyers with the same crime control
            orientation as thepolice, prosecutors might have enough credibility
            to get across to the police the importance of truth telling. [FN53]
            Prosecutors can also be admonished to take their ethical duty to
            promote justice seriously, [FN54] including providing the defense
            with information about perjury when it comes to their attention.
            [FN55]

            Less obvious solutions might involve changing the structure of the
            police force itself. For instance, if community and problem solving
            policing lived up to its promise, law enforcement might consist more
            of prevention than apprehension. [FN56] This shift in *1049
            emphasis might well lessen the need to testilie by reducing both the
            pressure to produce "activity" in the form of questionable stops and
            arrests, and the occasions when courtroom testimony is required.
            Alternatively, we could try to reconstruct our police forces on the
            European model. In theory at least, continental police are less
            adversarial in nature and thus more likely to report the facts
            simply as they occur. [FN57]

            Theoretically, these and other "internal" changes could have a
            significant impact on testilying. However, institutional change in
            the past has been frustratingly unsuccessful. [FN58] In any event,
            describing in more detail how and whether these proposals would work
            is beyond the scope of this paper. Instead, I will focus primarily
            on the extent to which changes in traditional constitutional
            doctrine particularly that having to do with the Fourth Amendment
            can inhibit police lying. Here in Part II, I discuss a number of
            proposals that have been advanced or alluded to by others. In Part
            III, I will suggest a three part proposal of my own.

            A. Expansion of the Warrant Requirement

            Professor Morgan Cloud has argued that perjury about Fourth
            Amendment issues can be curbed by expanding the warrant requirement
            to all nonexigent searches and seizures and by simultaneously
            defining the exigency exception very narrowly. [FN59] This proposal
            may well reduce perjury to some extent. Relative to a post search
            suppression hearing, police at a warrant proceeding will find the
            manufacture of probable cause more difficult because they do not
            know what their search will find and thus will not be able to
            fabricate "suspicions" as effectively.

            *1050 Nonetheless, a warrant requirement can be eviscerated in
            several ways by police who have no qualms about lying. First,
            whatever the validity of the pre versus post search lying
            hypothesis, the fact remains that, as noted above, [FN60] police
            have quite frequently managed to lie successfully during the warrant
            application process. Second, police are not above conducting a
            surreptitious search before going to the magistrate to ensure their
            story will later float when they swear out a warrant affidavit.
            [FN61] Third, and most important, police contemplating a search may
            simply not bother to go to a magistrate, in the belief that they can
            later cook up facts supporting a claim of exigency. Although,
            despite its costs, [FN62] I too have argued in favor of expanding
            the warrant requirement, [FN63] this proposal by itself will
            probably inhibit perjury only minimally.

            B. Informant Production

            A second proposal, designed specifically to stymie the practice of
            inventing snitches, is to require the police to produce their
            informants in front of the issuing magistrate. [FN64] Again,
            however, police who have no scruples about lying can wink at this
            rule. They can coach their informant, or even someone else acting
            as an informant, to lie about the information necessary for probable
            cause. They also might simply say the informant is unavailable, in
            the face of which a magistrate may feel helpless. The cost of the
            proposal would be longer warrant reviews, a curtailment of the
            worthwhile telephonic warrant system (unless informants *1051 could
            somehow be patched in), [FN65] and the risk that informants'
            identities will be exposed.

            C. The Panch System

            A third idea is to follow the lead of foreign countries like
            France and India and require police conducting a house search to be
            accompanied by lay citizens who observe its execution. [FN66]
            Theoretically, this procedure, called the panch system in India,
            [FN67] would provide a neutral source of information about the
            search of the house. It could also be extended to other types of
            searches and seizures, as well as to interrogations.

            One wonders, in the Indian and French systems, where the lay
            citizens come from (i.e., whether they are simply picked up off the
            street or can be informants or other police minions), and how often
            they actually testify in conflict with the police. Further, citizen
            overview would presumably not be feasible in emergency situations,
            which the police could manufacture. Nonetheless, the idea is worth
            considering. In theory, at least, such a system would confront
            lying officers with eyewitnesses who, unlike defendants, are
            untainted by criminal charges.

            D. Videotaping

            If the pancha system has some merit, we could also institute its
            technological equivalent and require that all police actions be
            videotaped. This requirement would be relatively simple to implement
            in the interrogation context. Indeed, several American
            jurisdictions have already demonstrated that fact. [FN68] Video
            *1052 taping searches, seizures, and undercover operations is more
            difficult technologically, but not impossible, as has been
            demonstrated in situations involving car stops, street searches, and
            stings. [FN69]

            While this film verite would go far toward inhibiting testilying,
            it is expensive, subject to tampering, and prone to practical
            devilments, like deciding when the tape must be turned on and off.
            It also might unnecessarily endanger undercover police.
            Furthermore, in the case of searches and seizures, and perhaps
            undercover operations as well, it could result in a more serious
            privacy invasion than is occasioned through mere police observation.

            A separate question is how, assuming that technological (or human)
            observation is feasible, the police could be forced to use it. One
            argument, which I think plausible but which has been nascent since
            United States v. Wade, [FN70] is that the Confrontation Clause
            entitles a defendant to a taping of all critical investigative
            events. As Justice Brennan argued in Wade (in connection with
            lineup identifications), [FN71] unless the defense attorney, in
            person or via a meaningful substitute, is allowed to observe the
            police action in question, he is significantly hobbled in
            reconstructing what happened; usually his only resource is his
            client, and the judge and jury are unlikely to believe a criminal
            suspect in a swearing match with the police. However, the
            constitutional argument for videotaping is unlikely to be accepted
            by the courts *1053 in light of developments since Wade. [FN72]
            Thus, any impetus for human or technological monitoring of the
            police will have to come from elsewhere.

            E. Subjecting Police Witnesses to Lie Detection

            Professor Donald Dripps has offered a proposal that he believes
            might provide just such an impetus, relying on another technological
            innovation the polygraph. [FN73] Dripps proposes that if, at the
            conclusion of a suppression hearing, the court determines that its
            outcome depends upon a credibility assessment of the police and the
            defendant, it should be authorized to request that the parties
            supplement the record with a polygraph examination. The judge would
            not be bound by the results of these examinations, but in an
            appropriate case (i.e., where the tests indicate that one party was
            lying and the other telling the truth), he could give them
            dispositive weight. [FN74] To the argument that polygraph
            examinations are insufficiently reliable as indicators of veracity,
            Dripps points out the low likelihood that two polygraph examinations
            (i.e., the defendant's and the officer's) would be wrong. [FN75]

            Dripps hopes that the possibility of such a polygraph battle will
            lead the police to adopt corroboration methods such as videotaping
            of interrogations. [FN76] Presumably they will do so, however, only
            if the polygraph tests could be wrong. If, as Dripps argues,
            polygraphs are accurate, then truthful officers have no incentive to
            provide such corroboration, and of course lying officers will try to
            manufacture it. Nonetheless, Dripps is *1054 probably right that
            the threat of a polygraph exam will at least encourage police
            to "tell straighter stories to the prosecution." [FN77]

            The primary problem with Dripps's proposal is not that it won't
            reduce police lying (I think it will), and not that it won't
            increase attempts at corroboration (I do not know whether it will or
            not), but that it undermines what this article has assumed to be the
            primary reason for fighting testilying: the belief that to have an
            effective police force and law enforcement system we need to trust
            the police. Hooking police men and women up to machines undermines
            that trust; it tells the public that the credibility of officers of
            the law needs to be tested like that of criminal suspects, suspected
            traitors, and job applicants. As with some of the other proposals
            discussed above, I think Dripps's idea may be worth trying, either
            alone or in combination with one or more of the others. But if
            there were an appropriate way to get police to tell the truth
            without such a trust busting "techno fix," I would prefer it.

            III. Reducing the Pressure to Lie and to Ignore Lying

            As this article has suggested, the pressure to lie comes at the
            police from all sides. Peers routinely engage in deceit,
            supervisors stress quotas, and the public wants criminals behind
            bars without having to hear too much about how they got there. The
            criminals themselves lie all the time, and the police naturally
            enough would prefer to see them incarcerated rather than out on the
            street two weeks after they are arrested. The impetus to lie is so
            great that the police will probably always find a counter to
            deterrence driven solutions whether it is more lying, tampering
            with videotape, or practicing how to beat a lie detector. A
            preferable way of dealing with testilying is to reduce the pressure
            to commit it. Simultaneously, one could increase incentives for
            prosecutors and judges to do something about the perjury that does
            occur, which should also have the effect of assuring greater
            compliance with substantive constitutional law as police realize
            they cannot cover up their illegal actions. Below I suggest three
            proposals designed to accomplish these goals.

            *1055 A. Punishments and Rewards

            Deterrence of testilying in the face of the intense pressure to
            lie requires stiff punishment: a perjury conviction and dismissal
            from the force. [FN78] For the reasons given above, however,
            punishment alone, even if routinely applied, will not change police
            behavior in this regard; indeed, it may well reinforce the "us
            against them" attitude that encourages further deceit. As Albert
            Quick has argued, [FN79] police need positive reinforcement for the
            type of conduct we think is appropriate.

            Thus, officers who provide corroboration of their testimony,
            whether through panchas, videotape, or some other mechanism, should
            be commended and promoted for their efforts. Officers who expose
            police perjury should also be singled out for favorable treatment
            (although it cannot be denied that the rewards would have to be
            significant to break the code of silence followed by the police).
            [FN80] The essential point is that the sensitivity training alluded
            to earlier is not enough. A society concerned about testilying must
            put its money where its mouth is.

            B. Flexifying Probable Cause

            Police lying is not always a calculated assault on our Fourth,
            Fifth, and Sixth Amendment rights. For instance, at the time they
            engage in a search or a seizure police usually believe, in good
            faith, that they have the goods on the suspect. But when they
            truthfully explain themselves to a judge, they often find that their
            suspicion, based on experience and gut feeling, was an
            unconstitutional "hunch." Consider what an officer told Jerome
            Skolnick, after both he and Skolnick saw a person the cop knew to be
            an addict turn away from him with his left fist closed:
            *1056 It's awfully hard to explain to a judge what I mean when I
            testify that I saw a furtive movement. I'm glad you were along to
            see this because you can see what we're up against. . . . I can
            testify as to the character of the neighborhood, my knowledge that
            the man was an addict and all that stuff, but what I mean is that
            when I see a hype move the way that guy moved, I know he's trying to
            get rid of something. [FN81]

            The officer felt that he had enough evidence to search the man's
            hand, but also believed, according to Skolnick rightly so, that he
            did not have probable cause as that term is defined by the courts.
            In such a situation, elaboration of the facts, perhaps adding that
            the person tried to run away, or that the drug was in plain view, is
            a natural reaction on the part of a police officer. Professor
            Uviller calls this type of perjury an "instrumental adjustment, [a]
            slight alteration in the facts to accommodate an unwieldy
            constitutional constraint and obtain a just result." [FN82]

            At least one constitutional constraint probable cause should not
            be so unwieldy. We need to take seriously the Supreme Court's
            injunction that probable cause is a "common sense" concept which
            should incorporate the experience of the officer. [FN83] Contrary
            to what courts have said, for instance, observation of a stranger to
            the neighborhood trying to hitch a ride with his shirt draped over a
            TV and wool gloves in his back pocket, an hour after he was seen
            peering into two houses, should be sufficient to authorize a search;
            [FN84] so should possession of reliable information that a person
            sold drugs five months earlier, when combined with recent police
            observation of people routinely leaving his house with small
            packages. [FN85]

            *1057 Further, as I have argued elsewhere, [FN86] probable cause
            to search should not be conceptualized as a fixed quantity of
            certainty but rather, as is already the case with suspicion
            requirements associated with seizures, [FN87] should be varied
            according to the level of intrusion involved.
            This "proportionality" approach, which can be reconciled with both
            the language and the history of the Fourth Amendment, [FN88] has
            several advantages. [FN89] The most important advantage for present
            purposes is the flexibility it gives the police. For instance,
            under this approach and the definition of probable cause urged
            above, the heavily criticized entry of Simpson's compound would be
            viewed in a different light: based on their knowledge of Simpson's
            history and the inability to reach him at his home, the police may
            well have had enough cause to search his curtilage if not his
            house even if the Bronco had had no blood stains on it. [FN90]

            The danger in "flexifying" probable cause, of course, is the extra
            discretion it gives police. But if this flexibility is coupled with
            a stringent warrant requirement, [FN91] police discretion may not be
            appreciably expanded. In the meantime, this flexibility will reduce
            the occasions in which police need to make "instrumental
            adjustments" while under oath, whether in a warrant proceeding, a
            suppression hearing or, as discussed below, a damages suit.

            C. Changing the Remedy

            The final and most controversial suggestion for minimizing
            testilying is to abolish the exclusionary rule. While the first two
            proposals attempt to accommodate the police by trying to siphon
            *1058 off the pressure to lie, this proposal is meant to change the
            behavior of prosecutors and judges by reducing the urge to wink at
            such lying. As Orfield and others have observed firsthand, for
            people in the latter positions, "instrumental adjustments" by police
            hoping to convict guilty people are very hard to fault, much less
            prosecute and punish, when the result is the dismissal of worthy
            charges. If the rule were abolished, on the other hand, prosecutors
            would be more willing to expose and prosecute such perjury, and
            judges more willing to conclude that it occurred, especially if, as
            suggested above, a successful perjury prosecution meant the
            prosecutor and judge would never have to work with the officer again.

            Further, abolition of the exclusionary rule does not have to mean
            the Constitution will become a dead letter. A liquidated damages
            remedy, such as the one proposed by Professor Robert Davidow, [FN92]
            may well provide a more than adequate substitute. Davidow would
            authorize a government ombudsman to receive and investigate
            complaints against the police and to assign private counsel to sue
            the individual officer and the government in front of a judge. The
            officer found in bad faith violation of the Constitution would be
            liable for a certain percentage of his salary, while the government
            would pay an equivalent sum for good faith violations. Because such
            a system makes the officer liable for unreasonable mistakes, it is
            clearly a better individual deterrent than the rule, which is not
            very effective in this regard. [FN93] Because it holds the
            department liable for reasonable mistakes of law made by its
            officers, this type of damages action also provides a strong
            incentive for training programs, and thus would probably not
            diminish the institutional compliance that is the one proven effect
            of the exclusionary rule. [FN94]

            *1059 Of course, the fact that a damages action directly affects
            the officer's wallet might produce even more incentive than the
            exclusionary rule to dissemble about illegal investigative actions.
            The three part proposal described above should nonetheless reduce
            testilying because it will reduce the illegal activity that spawns
            such fabrication. Positive reinforcement of truth telling should
            produce more witnesses willing to contradict a lying officer, who
            will thus have greater incentive to avoid any action that
            necessitates a cover up. Construing probable cause in a flexible
            manner will of course directly diminish the number of "illegal"
            police actions. Finally, the more realistic threat of perjury
            charges, brought by prosecutors who no longer fear losing their case
            as a result, should work to reduce violations of the Constitution as
            officers become less certain their malfeasance and subsequent lies
            about it will remain unchallenged.

            Conclusion

            Police, like people generally, lie in all sorts of contexts for
            all sorts of reasons. [FN95] This article has focused on police
            lying designed to convict individuals the police think are guilty.
            Strong measures are needed to reduce the powerful incentives to
            practice such testilying and the reluctance of prosecutors and
            judges to do anything about it. Among them might be the adoption of
            rewards for truth telling, the redefinition of probable cause, and
            the elimination of the exclusionary rule and its insidious effect on
            the resolve of legal actors to implement the commands of the
            Constitution.

            Ultimately, however, the various proposals set forth in this
            article are merely suggestive, meant to stimulate debate about how
            to curtail testilying at suppression hearings. [FN96] There is
            *1060 strong evidence to suggest that police in many jurisdictions
            routinely engage in this kind of deceit, and that prosecutors and
            judges are sometimes accomplices to it. Even if it turns out that
            this evidence exaggerates the problem, [FN97] the fact remains that,
            because of the O.J. Simpson trial and similar events, more people
            than ever before believe it exists. To restore trust in the police
            and the criminal justice system, we need to take meaningful steps
            against testilying now.

            FNa. Professor of Law & Alumni Research Scholar, University of
            Florida College of Law.

            FN1. For one account of this series of events, see Jeffrey Toobin, A
            Horrible Human Event, New Yorker, Oct. 23, 1995, at 40, 41 42.

            FN2. Vannatter also neglected to mention that much of the basis for
            his assertion that there was probable cause came from a warrantless
            entry of O.J.'s compound, the legality of which had not yet been
            litigated. See infra text accompanying notes 4 5.

            FN3. For a description of these misrepresentations and how Judge Ito
            reacted to them, see Wayne R. LaFave, O.J. Simpson Case
            Commentaries: Challenging Probable Cause for Search Warrants, 1994
            WL 530235, Sept. 30, 1994, available in WESTLAW, O.J. Comment
            database (on file with the University of Colorado Law Review).

            FN4. Kenneth B. Noble, Ruling Aids Prosecution of Simpson, N.Y.
            Times, Sept. 20, 1994, at A16.

            FN5. See, e.g., Wayne R. LaFave, O.J. Simpson Case Commentaries:
            Over the Wall: A New Theory Regarding Entry of the Simpson
            Compound, 1994 WL 562135, at 1, Oct. 15, 1994, available in WESTLAW,
            O.J. Comment database (on file with the University of Colorado Law
            Review) ("The LaFave poll (admittedly unscientific and consisting of
            nothing more than the random reactions of friends, colleagues and
            students with whom I have discussed the Simpson case) indicates that
            most people have responded to [these claims] with a fair degree of
            incredulity.").

            FN6. See Toobin, supra note 1, at 41 42.

            FN7. The idea of trust as a social good is presented in Sissela Bok,
            Lying: Moral Choice in Public and Private Life 26 27 (1978) ("[T]
            rust is a social good to be protected just as much as the air we
            breathe or the water we drink. When it is damaged, the community as
            a whole suffers; and when it is destroyed, societies falter and
            collapse.").

            FN8. Joe Sexton, Jurors Question Honesty of Police, N.Y. Times,
            Sept. 25, 1995, at B3 (quoting Michael F. Vecchione, Brooklyn
            District Attorney Charles J. Hynes's deputy in charge of trials).
            Consider also these words:
            [I]t has to be recognized that, while there is no reason to suppose
            that policemen as individuals are any less fallible than other
            members of society, people are often shocked and outraged when
            policemen are exposed violating the law. The reason is simple.
            Their deviance elicits a special feeling of betrayal. In a sense,
            they are doubly condemned; that is, not just for the infringement
            itself but even more for the breach of trust involved. Something
            extra is involved when public officials in general and policemen in
            particular deviate from accepted norms: "That something more is the
            violation of a fiduciary relationship, the corruption of a public
            trust, of public virtue."
            Maurice Punch, Conduct Unbecoming 8 (1985) (quoting Albert J. Reiss,
            Jr., Foreword to The Literature of Police Corruption ix x (Anthony
            E. Simpson ed., 1977)).

            FN9. See infra text accompanying notes 35 52.

            FN10. See Mapp v. Ohio, 367 U.S. 643 (1961) (requiring exclusion of
            evidence seized in violation of the Fourth Amendment); see
            also Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436 (1966) (requiring exclusion of
            evidence seized in violation of the Miranda warnings requirement).

            FN11. Commission to Investigate Allegations of Police Corruption and
            the Anti Corruption Procedures of the Police Dep't, City of New
            York, Commission Report 36 (1994) (Milton Mollen, Chair)
            [hereinafter Mollen Report] ("Several officers also told us that the
            practice of police falsification in connection with such arrests is
            so common in certain precincts that it has spawned its own
            word: 'testilying."').

            FN12. Irving Younger, The Perjury Routine, The Nation, May 8, 1967,
            at 596 97 ("Every lawyer who practices in the criminal courts knows
            that police perjury is commonplace."); see also David Wolchover,
            Police Perjury in London, 136 New L.J. 181, 183 (1986) (estimating
            that police officers lie in 3 out of 10 trials).

            FN13. Myron W. Orfield, Jr., Deterrence, Perjury, and the Heater
            Factor: An Exclusionary Rule in the Chicago Criminal Courts, 63 U.
            Colo. L. Rev. 75, 107 (1992) (survey of prosecutors, defense
            attorneys, and judges indicates a belief that, on average, perjury
            occurs 20% of the time, with defense attorneys estimating it occurs
            53% of the time in connection with Fourth Amendment issues; only 8%
            believe that police never, or almost never, lie in court); see also
            Fred Cohen, Police Perjury: An Interview with Martin Garbus, 8
            Crim. L. Bull. 363, 367 (1972) ("[A]mong all the lawyers that I
            know whether they are into defense work or prosecution not one of
            them will argue that systematic police perjury does not exist. We
            may differ on its extent, its impact ... but no trial lawyer that I
            know will argue that police perjury is nonexistent or sporadic.");
            N. G. Kittel, Police Perjury: Criminal Defense Attorneys'
            Perspective, 11 Am. J. Crim. Just. 11, 16 (1986) (57% of 277
            attorneys believe police perjury takes place very often or often).

            FN14. See Sarah Barlow, Patterns of Arrests for Misdemeanor
            Narcotics Possession: Manhattan Police Practices 1960 62, 4 Crim.
            L. Bull. 549, 549 50 (1968) (presenting data showing that "dropsy
            testimony" i.e., police testimony that an arrestee had dropped
            drugs as the police came upon them increased after Mapp v. Ohio
            imposed the exclusionary rule on state police, indicating that
            the "police are lying about the circumstances of such arrests so
            that the contraband which they have seized illegally will be
            admissible as evidence.").

            FN15. Alan M. Dershowitz, The Best Defense xxi xxii (1983) ("Rule
            IV: Almost all police lie about whether they violated the
            Constitution in order to convict guilty defendants.").

            FN16. Orfield, supra note 13, at 83 ("Respondents, including
            prosecutors, estimate that police commit perjury between 20% and 50%
            of the time they testify on Fourth Amendment issues."). It should
            also be noted that many of these respondents did not consider lying
            at a suppression hearing perjury, infra text accompanying note 47,
            which would have the effect of deflating these percentages.

            FN17. Jerome H. Skolnick, Deception by Police, Crim. Just. Ethics,
            Summer/Fall 1982, at 40, 42.

            FN18. Scott Turow, Simpson Prosecutors Pay for their Blunders, N.Y.
            Times, Oct. 4, 1995, at A21 (Turow was a prosecutor for several
            years.).

            FN19. Younger, supra note 12, at 596 (Younger was a prosecutor and a
            judge.).

            FN20. H. Richard Uviller, Tempered Zeal: A Columbia Law Professor's
            Year on the Streets with the New York City Police 116 (1988)
            (Uviller was a prosecutor for 14 years.).

            FN21. See supra note 11 and accompanying text.

            FN22. See id.; see also Robert Daley, The Prince of the City 73
            (1978) (describing perjury that "detectives ... committed all the
            time in the interest of putting bad people in jail"); Myron R.
            Orfield, The Exclusionary Rule and Deterrence: An Empirical Study
            of Chicago Narcotics Officers, 54 Chi. L. Rev. 1016, at 1049 50
            (1987) (Seventy six percent of police surveyed believe police shade
            the facts regarding probable cause, 56% believed perjury was
            infrequent and 19% believe it was reasonably common.).

            FN23. Mollen Report, supra note 11, at 38.

            FN24. See also Jerome H. Skolnick, Justice Without Trial 212 19 (2d
            ed. 1975).

            FN25. Uviller, supra note 20, at 116.

            FN26. "[N]o Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported
            by Oath or affirmation ...." U.S. Const. amend. IV.

            FN27. Jonathan Rubinstein, City Police 386 88 (1973) (describing the
            preparation of false search warrants as routine, with supervisors
            often selecting the officers most skilled in perjury as the ones
            to seek the warrant); see also Orfield, supra note 13, at 102 08
            (describing improper use of "boilerplate" language in warrant
            applications). In Albright v. Oliver, 114 S. Ct. 807 (1994), the
            complaint alleged that a detective repeatedly used an informant (on
            50 occasions) despite the fact that on each occasion her information
            turned out to be false and charges were dismissed. Id. at 823 n.3
            (Stevens, J., dissenting).

            FN28. One of the more extreme examples (one hopes) is described in
            Commonwealth v. Lewin, 542 N.E.2d 275 (Mass. 1989), in which the
            court concluded that in all likelihood an informant named "John,"
            who supplied the basis for 31 search warrants over a 10 month
            period, and for many others over a five year period, never existed.
            Id. at 284. Many have speculated that the "informer" involved in
            Spinelli v. United States, 393 U.S. 410 (1969), did not exist. See,
            e.g., Joseph D. Grano, A Dilemma for Defense Counsel: Spinelli
            Harris Search Warrants and the Possibility of Police Perjury, 1971
            Law F. 405, 427, 456 57.

            FN29. Mollen Report, supra note 11, at 38.

            FN30. Stanley Z. Fisher, "Just the Facts, Ma'am": Lying and the
            Omissionof Exculpatory Evidence in Police Reports, 28 N. Eng.
            L. Rev. 1, 36 38 (1993).

            FN31. Skolnick, supra note 17, at 43. See also Carl B. Klockars,
            Blue Lies and Police Placebos, 27 Amer. Behav. Sci. 529, 540 (1984)
            (Police lie at suppression hearings because they see search and
            seizure rules, and other evidentiary rules, as procedural rules "the
            violation of which does not affect a perpetrator's factual guilt.").

            FN32. Indeed, significant evidence suggests that police supervisors,
            driven by the same crime control and quota pressures that drive
            field officers, actively encourage testilying. See Mollen Report,
            supra note 11, at 40 41 (describing how supervisors train officers
            in how to commit perjury); Allan N. Kornblum, The Moral Hazards:
            Police Strategies for Honesty and Ethical Behavior 80 (1976)
            (describing New York City police practice of "flaking," or planting
            evidence on suspects to meet "norms of production").

            FN33. Skolnick, supra note 17, at 42.

            FN34. Although police reports are not testimony, in some
            jurisdictions they are written under oath. In others, falsification
            of a report can result in statutory penalties. See Fisher, supra
            note 30, at 9 n.36.

            FN35. See Uviller, supra note 20, at 111 (asserting that perjury "is
            extremely elusive, almost impossible to identify with certainty in a
            particular instance"); Fisher, supra note 30, at 10 n.40 (stating
            that Uviller's experience mirrors his own).

            FN36. See Alan M. Dershowitz, Controlling the Cops; Accomplices to
            Perjury, N.Y. Times, May 2, 1994, at A17 ("I have seen trial judges
            pretend to believe officers whose testimony is contradicted by
            common sense, documentary evidence and even unambiguous tape
            recordings.... Some judges refuse to close their eyes to perjury,
            but they are the rare exception to the rule of blindness, deafness
            and muteness that guides the vast majority of judges and
            prosecutors."); Nat Hentoff, When Police Commit Perjury, Wash. Post,
            Sept. 5, 1985, at A21 (describing the view of Michael Avery that
            prosecutors and judges do nothing about obvious police perjury);
            David Rudovsky, Why It Was Hands Off on the Police, P hila. I nq.,
            Aug. 28, 1995, at A7 (describing instances in which prosecutors and
            judges ignored "hard evidence" of false warrant applications, false
            police reports, and perjury in a series of Philadelphia cases);
            Marty I. Rosenbaum, Inevitable Error: Wrongful New York State
            Homicide Convictions, 1965 1988, 18 N.Y.U. R ev. L. & Soc. Change
            807, 809 (1990 91) ("[A] substantial number of the wrongful
            convictions ... resulted from prosecutorial misconduct ... includ
            [ing] ... the conscious use of perjured testimony."); Younger,
            supra note 12, at 596 ("[T]he policeman is as likely to be indicted
            for perjury by his co worker, the prosecutor, as he is to be struck
            down by thunderbolts from an avenging heaven.").

            FN37. Alan Dershowitz, Police Perjury Destroyed the Simpson
            Prosecution, Buff. News, Oct. 7, 1995, at 3B.

            FN38. Turow, supra note 18, at A21.

            FN39. Orfield, supra note 13.

            FN40. The first three observers cited in supra note 36 are defense
            attorneys.

            FN41. Orfield, supra note 13, at 109.

            FN42. Id. at 110.

            FN43. Id. at 112.

            FN44. As one state's attorney stated: "We view our role as neutral.
            We don't try to influence perjury one way or another." Id. at 111.

            FN45. Id. at 110 11. In what seems to be a contradiction, Orfield
            reports that 61% believed prosecutors tolerate perjury, while 48%
            believe prosecutors discourage it.

            FN46. Id. at 110.

            FN47. Id. at 112. Interestingly, of the 11 respondents who answered
            this way, two were judges, three were state's attorneys, and six
            were public defenders. Id. at 112 n.172. Prosecutors explained
            their views in this regard by calling the perjury "fudging" rather
            than lying, or by defining perjury as lying about guilt or
            innocence. Id. at 112 13.

            FN48. Id. at 114. In another part of the study, reported
            separately, Orfield found that 86% of police officers surveyed
            believed it "unusual but not rare" for judges to disbelieve police
            testimony. Orfield, supra note 22, at 1049.

            FN49. Jay S. Silver, Truth, Justice, and the American Way: The Case
            Against the Client Perjury Rules, 47 Vand. L. Rev. 339, 358 n.75
            (1994) ("The institutional tendency to tolerate police perjury
            likely stems from the prosecutor's interest in maintaining smooth
            working relations with police, who gather the government's
            evidence and are often its most important witnesses at trial, and
            from the prosecutor's own competitive drive to win and to advance
            professionally."); see also sources cited supra note 36.

            FN50. Orfield, supra note 13, at 113 ("Many prosecutors believe
            that 'real' perjury only concerns questions of guilt or innocence,
            not questions of probable cause.").

            FN51. Id. at 121 (finding that 70% of respondents believe that
            judges sometimes fail to suppress evidence when the law requires
            suppression "because [the judge] believes it is unjust to suppress
            the evidence given the circumstances of the case before him").

            FN52. Morgan Cloud, The Dirty Little Secret, 43 Emory L.J. 1311,
            1323 24 (1994).

            FN53. Skolnick, supra note 24, at 203.
            The prosecutor need not be successful in making the policeman
            approve of the strictures of due process of law, which he typically
            does not admire himself. By accepting their legitimacy, however, he
            demonstrates to the policeman that it is at once possible to
            disagree with the rules of the game as they are laid down, and
            at the same time to carry out the enforcement of substantive
            criminal law ....
            Id.

            FN54. The American Bar Association's Model Rules of Professional
            Conduct state that the "prosecutor in a criminal case shall ... make
            timely disclosure to the defense of all evidence or information
            known to the prosecutor that tends to negate the guilt of the
            accused or mitigates the offense." Model Rules of Professional
            Conduct Rule 3.8(d) (1983). The ABA's Criminal Justice Standards on
            the Prosecution Function provide, inter alia, that "[t]he duty of
            the prosecutor is to seek justice, not merely to convict," Standards
            for Criminal Justice s 3 1.1 (2d ed. 1979); that the prosecutor "has
            an affirmative responsibility to investigate suspected illegal
            activity when it is not adequately dealt with by other agencies,"
            id. s 3 3.1(a); that the prosecutor must not "knowingly ... use
            illegal means to obtain evidence or to employ or instruct or
            encourage others to use such means," id. s 3 3.1(b); and that a
            prosecutor shall not "intentionally ... avoid pursuit of evidence
            because he or she believes it will damage the prosecution's case or
            aid the accused," id. s 3 3.11(c).

            FN55. See Model Rules of Professional Conduct, supra note 54, Rule
            3.8(d).

            FN56. See generally Jerome H. Skolnick & James J. Fyfe, Above the
            Law: Police and the Excessive Use of Force 237 66 (1993) (stating
            that problem oriented policing and community oriented
            policing "stand in opposition to incident driven policing," id. at
            257).

            FN57. See generally John H. Langbein & Lloyd L. Weinreb, Continental
            Criminal Procedure: "Myth" and Reality, 87 Yale L.J. 1549, 1552 54,
            1562 63 & n.51 (German and French police are trained as "judicial
            officers" and required to report exculpatory as well as inculpatory
            information.).

            FN58. See generally Symposium, Police Corruption, Municipal
            Corruption: Cures at What Cost?, 40 N.Y.L. Sch. L. Rev. 1 (1995).
            Several of the commentators in this symposium issue remark on the
            fact that police corruption scandals erupt at 20 year intervals
            despite institutional reform. See, e.g., id. at 6, 45, 55 (three
            authors, a judge, an ex police commissioner, and an administrator,
            making this point).

            FN59. Cloud, supra note 52, at 1344 48.

            FN60. See supra notes 26 28 and accompanying text.

            FN61. See Skolnick, supra note 24, at 144 ("The practice of making
            an unlawful exploratory search of the room of a suspected criminal
            is, so far as I could tell on several occasions, accepted by both
            the Westville police and the state police.").

            FN62. "The vast majority of searches are conducted without a
            warrant ...." Richard Van Duizend et al., The Search Warrant
            Process: Preconceptions, Perceptions, Practices 19 (1985). Any
            significant increase in that percentage could burden judges, with a
            concomitant greater potential for rubber stamping of applications.

            FN63. Christopher Slobogin, The World Without a Fourth Amendment, 39
            UCLA L. Rev. 1, 29 38 (1991).

            FN64. Some courts have endorsed this approach. See, e.g., United
            States v. Manley, 632 F.2d 978 (2d Cir. 1980); People v. Darden, 313
            N.E.2d 49 (1974).

            FN65. Telephonic warrants, which allow police to obtain a warrant
            while still on the street in a fraction of the time normally
            required to obtain a warrant, Van Duizend et al., supra note 62, at
            85 87, are a crucial aspect of most proposals for expanding the
            warrant requirement. See also Craig M. Bradley, Two Models of the
            Fourth Amendment, 83 Mich. L. Rev. 1468, 1491 98 (1985); Cloud,
            supra note 52, at 1346; Slobogin, supra note 63, at 32.

            FN66. For a description of the French procedure, see Richard S.
            Frase, Comparative Criminal Justice As a Guide to American Law
            Reform: How Do the French Do It, How Can We Find Out, and Why
            Should We Care?, 78 Cal. L. Rev. 539, 580 (1990). For a description
            of the Indian system, see Susan C. Lushing, Comparative Criminal
            Justice Search and Seizure, Interrogation, and Identification of
            Suspects in India: A Research Note, 10 J. Crim. Just. 239, 240 42
            (1982).

            FN67. See Lushing, supra note 66, at 242.

            FN68. See William A. Geller et al., A Report to the National
            Institute of Justice, Police Videotaping of Suspect Interrogations
            and Confessions: A Preliminary Examination of Issues and Practices
            54 tbl. 1 (1992) (As of 1991, approximately one sixth of all police
            and sheriffs' departments videotaped confessions, although in many
            jurisdictions it was at the interrogating detective's discretion.).

            FN69. See Jeff Collins, New Technology Can Turn Officers into
            Walking Lenses, Recording Contacts for Their and the Public's
            Safety, Orange County Reg. May 8, 1995, at B1; Lan Nguyen, Cameras
            Roll with Patrol Cars: Video Rides Shotgun on Arlington Streets,
            Wash. Post, July 6, 1995, at B1 (describing video cameras that
            attach to the windshield and contain tape that cannot be erased).
            See generally Gary T. Marx, Undercover: Police Surveillance in
            America 55 56 (1988) (describing use of videotape in undercover
            operations).

            FN70. 388 U.S. 218 (1967).

            FN71. Id. at 235 ("Insofar as the accused's conviction may rest on a
            courtroom identification in fact the fruit of a suspect pretrial
            identification which the accused is helpless to subject to effective
            scrutiny at trial, the accused is deprived of that right of cross
            examination which is an essential safeguard to his right to confront
            the witnesses against him.").

            FN72. In United States v. Ash, 413 U.S. 300 (1973), the Supreme
            Court appeared to reject the "critical stage" analysis of Wade and
            adopted a "trial like confrontation" analysis, which contemplates
            application of the Sixth Amendment only to those stages of the
            criminal process in which the "intricacies of the law and the
            advocacy of the public prosecutor are involved." Id. at 309; see
            also Charles H. Whitebread & Christopher Slobogin, Criminal
            Procedure: An Analysis of Cases and Concepts s 31.03(a) (1993).

            FN73. Donald A. Dripps, Police, Plus Perjury, Equals Polygraphy (in
            press, manuscript on file with author).

            FN74. Id. at 1.

            FN75. Id. at 27.

            FN76. Id. at 35. ("[A] rule of admissibility [of polygraph results]
            would create incentives for the police to actively prevent, rather
            than actively encourage, swearing contests.").

            FN77. Id. at 28.

            FN78. One could add to these two punishments liability in damages
            but, at the federal level at least, this would require reversal of
            Briscoe v. LaHue, 460 U.S. 325 (1983).

            FN79. Albert T. Quick, Attitudinal Aspects of Police Compliance with
            Procedural Due Process, 6 Am. J. Crim. L. 25, 48 54 (1978)
            (describing various methods of reinforcing police conformance with
            due process norms (e.g., promotions, bonuses, praise), an approach
            that is claimed to change attitudes and thus help establish the
            desired patterns of behavior).

            FN80. Cf. Punch, supra note 8, at 155 (describing how
            police "operate by a code of silence which dictates that you do
            not 'rat on your mates"').

            FN81. Skolnick, supra note 24, at 216.

            FN82. Uviller, supra note 20, at 115 16.

            FN83. See, e.g., United States v. Cortez, 449 U.S. 411, 418 (1981)
            (Probable cause "does not deal with hard certainties, but with
            probabilities [and] common sense conclusions about human
            behavior .... [T]he evidence thus collected must be seen and weighed
            not in terms of library analysis by scholars, but as understood by
            those versed in the field of law enforcement."); Illinois v. Gates,
            462 U.S. 213, 232 (1983) (after quoting the above passage in Cortez,
            stating that "probable cause is a fluid concept turning on the
            assessment of probabilities in particular factual contexts
            not readily, or even usefully, reduced to a neat set of legal
            rules").

            FN84. People v. Quintero, 657 P.2d 948 (Colo. 1983) (no probable
            cause on these facts).

            FN85. These are essentially the facts of United States v. Leon, 468
            U.S. 897 (1984), in which the suppression hearing judge ruled that
            probable cause did not exist. Id. at 903 n.2.

            FN86. Slobogin, supra note 63, at 68 75.

            FN87. Cf. Michigan v. Sitz, 496 U.S. 444 (1990) (minimal intrusion
            of state sobriety checkpoint program held reasonable when balanced
            against substantial state interest in highway safety); Terry v.
            Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968) (pat down of outer clothing to search for
            weapons justified by circumstances).

            FN88. Slobogin, supra note 63, at 75 78 (noting that the
            term "probable cause" had no clear meaning as an historical matter
            and thus can constitutionally be defined as "that cause which makes
            probable the reasonableness of the intrusion occasioned by a given
            search or seizure").

            FN89. For example, it allows the amendment greater scope than
            current law because it avoids imposing a "more likely than not"
            certainty requirement every time a police action is labeled a
            search. Id. at 77.

            FN90. However, I would have required a warrant in this situation
            given the time elapsed between the initial investigation of the
            murder scene and the entry of the compound. See id. at 32; Cloud,
            supra note 52, at 1346 47.

            FN91. See Slobogin, supra note 63, at 29 33, 75.

            FN92. Robert P. Davidow, Criminal Procedure Ombudsman Revisited, 73
            J. Crim. L. & Criminology 939 (1982).

            FN93. See, e.g., Dallin H. Oaks, Studying the Exclusionary Rule in
            Search and Seizure, 37 U. Chi. L. Rev. 665, 720 31 (1970) (pointing
            out, inter alia, that the primary effect of the rule is visited on
            the prosecutor rather than the police officer). Indeed, a damages
            remedy could over deter. See Milton A. Loewenthal, Evaluating the
            Exclusionary Rule in Search and Seizure, 49 UMKC L. Rev. 24, 31 32
            (1980). The good faith exception in the Davidow proposal should
            minimize that problem. Furthermore, of course, the latter remedy
            avoids the damage to the credibility of the criminal justice system
            caused when exclusion allows a criminal to be released on
            a "technicality."

            FN94. See Yale Kamisar, Does (Did) (Should) the Exclusionary Rule
            Rest on a "Principled Basis" Rather Than an "Empirical
            Proposition"?, 16 Creighton L. Rev. 565, 590 91 (1983). An
            ombudsman system could also facilitate detection of patterns of
            misbehavior and particular miscreant officers, something which is
            not easily accomplished under an exclusionary rule regime relying on
            individual attorneys.

            FN95. For a treatment of other types of police lies, see Christopher
            Slobogin, Investigative Lies by the Police (in preparation). See
            also Tom Barker & David Carter, Fluffing Up the Evidence and
            Covering Your Ass: Some Conceptual Notes on Police Lying, 11
            Deviant Behav. 61, 62 67 (1990).

            FN96. Cf. Kevin R. Reitz, Testilying As a Problem of Crime Control:
            A Reply to Professor Slobogin, 67 U. Colo. L. Rev. 1061 (1996). My
            only quibble with Professor Reitz's criticisms of my proposals is
            that I think he underestimates the impact of flexifying probable
            cause and overestimates the impact of substituting a damages remedy
            for the exclusionary rule.

            FN97. See id. at 1062 65.

            END OF DOCUMENT