Re: [tips_and_tricks] IRS on ebay

  • 888Bail Man
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
      I think you have fallen prey to an internet rumor. When selling things
      the only concern is state sales tax (reporting and payment of). Most
      states impose a sales tax on just about everything. (For the guy in
      Florida trying to register the car, some states have the balls to
      charge a "use" tax on cars that you buy out of state but bring in and
      register. Oddly enough the "use tax" rate is the SAME as the "sales
      tax") However, most food items are not taxed but prepared foods (fast
      food and restaurants) are taxed by requiring the retail seller to
      impose and collect a sales tax. The only concern is about being either
      a, "wholesaler" or "retailer" as it indicates who collects the sales
      tax and forwards it to the state. Most states have a provision for
      obtaining a "sellers permit". By obtaining a "sellers permit" you can
      buy product (inventory) from various "wholesalers" without having to
      pay any sales tax. You are expected to impose, collect and forward to
      the state a sales tax on each sale you make to anyone not also holding
      a "sellers permit". The retailer cannot even choose to pay the tax to
      the wholesaler based on that price and then just absorb it into his
      retail price. THE STATE WON'T LET YOU! The state wants the tax applied
      to the retail price as it means more money for the state. The retailer
      usually reports and forwards the collected sales tax to the state on a
      quarterly basis.

      There are presently two exceptions. There is a federally imposed
      "moratorium" on taxing sales made over the internet and a seller
      (retailer) selling to a buyer located outside the state. However, most
      states consider it the buyer's responsibility to pay the sales tax on
      any items purchased outside the state and brought into the state.

      Hope the above info helps.

      Bret