W-9

  • tom
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
      Friends:

      Occasionally in my line of work, someone will send me a W-9 to fill
      out. I usually ignore them or will ask them for a pledge or bond of
      security
      in exchange for the private info they are asking for, (which they
      ignore).
      Does anyone have a good position paper or essay on the limitations or
      requirements of a W-9.
      Thanks. Tom
    • private private
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
        1. A Form w-9 is a treasury form used to solicit the "TIN" of a "taxpayer" (a "US
        person")receiving proceeds from "trade or business" activity. The person requesting the form
        intends to make an information report on a form 1099 to the IRS. A "trade or business" is defined
        in the IRC as "including the performance of the functions of a public office". What that means is
        that the "person" requesting the form is a species of gubmint payer, or as is often the case with
        non-gubmint entities, fraudulently asserting to be so.

        2. Persuant to the Paperwork Reduction Act, any form that represents a collection of information
        is required to be approved by the Office of Management and Budget(OMB). When approved, an OMB
        control number will appear on the form in a conspicuous location, usually in the upper right hand
        corner. Forms that are not so approved are said to be "Bootleg" forms and the public is not
        required to use them. Form w-9 does not appear to have been approved by the OMB for use as there
        is no OMB control number appearing thereon.

        3. Your understanding of this new found information will allow you to document this fraud by
        appropriate inquiry with the entity attempting to use this private gubmint form. For example, use
        of form w-9 is a clue that you are contracting with a species of gubmint entity- what you want
        them to tell you is which one. Then, you want them to identify the "trade or business" activity
        that is implied by the use of the form. Get the idea?

        --- tom <emilfarm@...> wrote:

        > Friends:
        >
        > Occasionally in my line of work, someone will send me a W-9 to fill
        > out. I usually ignore them or will ask them for a pledge or bond of
        > security
        > in exchange for the private info they are asking for, (which they
        > ignore).
        > Does anyone have a good position paper or essay on the limitations or
        > requirements of a W-9.
        > Thanks. Tom

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • donmadmary
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2005
          Just because there is an OMB number on a form does not
          mean that it is the correct number. The information
          below is from Eddie Kahn.

          26 CFR 1.1-1- TAX ON INDIVIDUALS ..

          There are over 85 different taxes listed in Title 26 of
          the U.S. Code. However, the IRS has told you that the
          INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX is the tax YOU ARE LIABLE FOR.
          They also have told you that the 1040 form is the OMB
          APPROVED INFORMATION GATHERING FORM FOR THAT PARTICULAR TAX,
          RIGHT?

          Well. let's not take their word for it. Let's check it out
          for ourselves.

          1) We look in Title 26 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
          The number assigned to the INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX is 1.1-1.

          2) Next we look in the CFR 602.101. which is in the Index. This
          is a chart which lists the number of the particular tax on the
          left and the OMB control number that has been assigned to the
          INFORMATION GATHERING FORM approved by the OMB for that
          particular tax on the right. It looks like this:
          1.1-1 1545-0067

          3) Finally, we look in the forms chart to see what form has
          OMB ~.1
          #1545-0067.

          SURPRISE! It is NOT the 1040 form! It is form 2555. Which is
          entitled..FOREIGN EARNED INCOME". And as you can see by looking
          at CFR 602.101, there is only ONE APPROVED FORM FOR THAT
          PARTICULAR TAX.

          IMPORTANT: The 1040 form has an OMB number of 1545-0074. It
          has been approved by the OMB to gather information for the
          INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX.

          Do you see why you want to go see the Problem Resolution
          Officer? Aren't you wondering why the IRS wants you to file
          a form NOT APPROVED BY THE OMB FOR THAT PARTICULAR TAX?

          The plot REALLY thickens when you look in CFR 602.101 and find
          OMB number 1545-0074. Remember, that's the OMB number on the
          1040 form. 31.6011(a)-7 . . . . . 1545-0074

          When you see the prefix 31 followed by any number it refers
          to federal employees.

          So we know by looking in the law books that form 1040 does not
          apply to the Individual Income Tax (it would have to read
          1.6011(a)-7).

          The US Supreme Court stated:
          "…we thing it important to note that the Act's civil and criminal
          penalties attach only upon violation of regulations promulgated by
          the Secretary; if the Secretary were to do nothing, the Act itself
          would impose no penalties on anyone." (emphasis added)
          California Bankers Ass'n v. Schultz. 416 US 21 (1974)

          --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, private private