Paternity Rights?

  • Martha Cecilia Chiriboga
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2005
      Hi, I need a quick tip on paternity rights. I have a friend who is pregnant, right now. She and the father of the unborn child aren't married, or even live in the same city, but they do live in the same state (he lives in LA, she lives in Frisco). Does he have any rights to the baby if she chooses to have the baby without any of his child support? My friend is 13 weeks pregnant, and is feeling really confused about the future of this baby - if she chooses to raise it, instead of having an abortion.

      Will the father be able to keep her and the baby in the same state by law? Or, will she be able to roam about her life with her baby -without being accountable to him forever? Remember, she won't be collecting child support from the dad. Will he still impose any paternity rights on her and/or his baby?

      Thanks,
      Martha

    • Penfurn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
        To my knowledge there is no private contract or agreement that trumps our child support laws (or at least that is how the states behave, and prosecute). Regardless of what the individuals have agreed to at this time the mother will be able to "collect" child support monies anytime she changes her mind and gets the state involved.

        She could raise the child herself, with no paternal involvement, or access, and then 20 years down the road essentially sue to collect child support payments in amount that would cover all 18 years of the childs life.

        Generally in cases with children the father ends up having few to no rights and little to no power or influence once the state is involved. Our family courts have been influenced heavily for the past 30 years by the "social services network." Social services is a feminine dominated field so it is no surprise that men have been pretty much shut out. I would suppose that a return to the way things were 30 years ago is preferable to things today. At the same time I see things currently being extremely out of balance.

        I think if the two parties involved do a little research they will find these things to be essentially true.

      • Penfurn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
          I offer an apology for a typo in my previous message.

          In the third paragraph, the sentence beginning "I would suppose that a return to...." That sentence should instead read "I would not suppose that a return to the way things were 30 years ago is preferable to things today."

          Omission of that one word expressed the very opposite of my own thoughts and feelings.