re;Need help!

  • reb
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005

      John,
      I believe the statute of limitations is for three years unless the IRS claims fraud or the non-filing of a tax return.   How are they going back 15 years ??

      Reb

         From: "John Searcy" <jsearcy@...>
      Subject: Need help!

      All,
          I have just received a letter from the I.R.S. claiming that I owe $5,389.26 for a "civil penalty" for the tax year 1990. I am not very vulnerable to levies or liens, however, I do maintain a joint bank account with my elderly father. The only funds deposited in this joint bank account are my father's monthly Social Security benefits. Is this joint bank account vulnerable to levy? How does the I.R.S. handle a joint bank account? Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    • southlodge
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
        It's 3 years for refunds.  It's "whenever" for "taxes due."   They will go back as far as they want.

           From: "John Searcy" <jsearcy@...>

      • Advancepum@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
          The Statute of limitation for criminal IRS charges is I beleave 7 years. But that's to the date they start action.
          Paul

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
            The banks only keep records for 7 years  So they can't go past that . I just subpoenaed records and only got 7 years back.
            It's 3 years for refunds.  It's "whenever" for "taxes due."   They will go back as far as they want.

          • Dave Miner
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
              The Statute of Limitations is somewhat fluid concerning so-called income taxes.

              Generally speaking, it is 3 years for civil matters and 7 years for criminal matters.  But as long as the IRS sends ONE collection letter a year, there is no Statute of limitations applied.  The IRS can pursue you for as long as you live, and even after you die, as long as it is actively involved in collections activities.

              You can see this in your Individual Master File in the CSED field.  Collection Statutory Expiration Date will always show a date in the future, as long as the IRS is involved in collections activities against you.

              And the CSED (or any other limitations dates) apply to each year individually.  The IRS treats each individual year as a separate issue with separate limitations applying.

              Yours in financial freedom,

              Dave Miner

                 From: "John Searcy" <jsearcy@...>