Re: [tips_and_tricks] Notary and certification

  • frances jo
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
      check your rules.  I believe our rules in NM say that notaries cannot notarize as copies public documents -- those that can be gotten from the recorder or SOS.

      Advancepum@... wrote:
      all true in Illinois too. I'm a notary.
      Paul

      In Indiana, a Notary Public can certify a document.
      This simply means that the copy of the document made
      by the notary is identical to the original document
      brought to the notary by the party seeking
      certification.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpgUKB/pzNLAA/cUmLAA/aQSolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either
      quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest. --Unknown

      "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
      better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace;
      We ask not your counsels or your arms; Crouch down and lick the hands
      which feed you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity
      forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams
    • JD
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
        Within Tennessee, the statutes read:

        8-16-116 Receipt of instruments in evidence.
        The attestations, protestations, and other instruments of publication or
        acknowledgment, made by any notary public under seal, shall be received in
        evidence

        It may pay to notarize all letters to UnoWho.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
          1. MAY I MAKE A CERTIFIED COPY OF A BIRTH CERTIFICATE OR A MARRIAGE LICENSE:

            No. Birth certificates and marriage licenses are recordable documents. A recordable document is one that is recorded with some type of entity whether it be the Secretary of State's Office, a court of law, a county clerk, or the Bureau of Vital Statistics. Certified copies may be obtained by contacting such entities.

            A non-recordable document is one that has not been nor will ever be recorded with any type of entity. For instance, a letter is not recorded with anyone but there are times the sender of the letter would like to obtain a certified copy of that letter for his or her file.

        • Russell Mortland
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005

            A Notary Public may not:

            certify copies of documents recordable in the public records.

          • Advancepum@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
              They should be notarized prior to being recorded.
              Paul