Notary and certification

  • Tim Deaton
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
      In Indiana, a Notary Public can certify a document.
      This simply means that the copy of the document made
      by the notary is identical to the original document
      brought to the notary by the party seeking
      certification.
      The purpose is to allow a copy of a document to be
      used in place of the original.

      The Notary is a member of the executive branch of
      government having been appointed by the governor. The
      notary has no judicial or administrative power, he is
      simply ministerial in nature.

      Too many folks think that a Notary is some big deal.
      It is not. Anyone who will fill out the form, is over
      twenty one years of age, a resident of the state, and
      has $40 for the bond can be a notary for a period of
      eight years (the period of a notary commission has
      changed several times over the past decade).

      A certified document can also be entered into evidence
      rather than the original if it is properly done.

      The easiest way to tell what a notary can an cannot do
      is to either contact the Governor's or Secretary of
      State office (in Indiana the Governor appoints and the
      Secretary of State administers Notary Public) or read
      the state statutes.

    • Russell Mortland
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
        That might be true in your state, but as a notary I can do protest and that is an administrative power.

        PROTESTS

        (Insert bill or note or copy thereof)

        United States of America
        State of Texas
        County of _______________

        Be it known that on the __________ day of __________, (year), at the request of (name), of __________, I, (Notary Public's name), a Notary Public duly commissioned and sworn, residing in __________ County, Texas, did present the original (instrument), hereto attached, for $__________, with accrued interest thereon of $__________, dated __________, and demanded payment (or acceptance) thereof, which was refused.

        Whereupon I, at the request of the aforesaid __________, did protest, and by these presents do protest, as well against the drawer, maker, endorsers, and acceptors of said instruments as against all others whom it may concern, for exchange, costs, charges, damages, and interest already incurred and hereinafter to be incurred by reason of non-payment thereof. I further certify that on (date), notice in writing of the foregoing presentment, demand, refusal and protest was given by (persons and status) by depositing notices thereof in the post office at __________, Texas, postage paid, directed as follows: ____________________. I further certify that notices were left as follows:

        Notice left for _______________ at _______________
        Notice left for _______________ at _______________

        Each of the named places the reputed place of residence of the person for whom the notice was left.

        In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal of office at __________, Texas, on __________ day of __________, (year).

        ______________________
        Notary Public's Signature

        (Personalized Seal)

      • Advancepum@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
          all true in Illinois too. I'm a notary.
          Paul

          > In Indiana, a Notary Public can certify a document.
          > This simply means that the copy of the document made
          > by the notary is identical to the original document
          > brought to the notary by the party seeking
          > certification.
        • frances jo
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
            check your rules.  I believe our rules in NM say that notaries cannot notarize as copies public documents -- those that can be gotten from the recorder or SOS.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpgUKB/pzNLAA/cUmLAA/aQSolB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either
            quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest. --Unknown

            "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
            better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace;
            We ask not your counsels or your arms; Crouch down and lick the hands
            which feed you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity
            forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams
          • JD
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
              Within Tennessee, the statutes read:

              8-16-116 Receipt of instruments in evidence.
              The attestations, protestations, and other instruments of publication or
              acknowledgment, made by any notary public under seal, shall be received in
              evidence

              It may pay to notarize all letters to UnoWho.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
                1. MAY I MAKE A CERTIFIED COPY OF A BIRTH CERTIFICATE OR A MARRIAGE LICENSE:

                  No. Birth certificates and marriage licenses are recordable documents. A recordable document is one that is recorded with some type of entity whether it be the Secretary of State's Office, a court of law, a county clerk, or the Bureau of Vital Statistics. Certified copies may be obtained by contacting such entities.

                  A non-recordable document is one that has not been nor will ever be recorded with any type of entity. For instance, a letter is not recorded with anyone but there are times the sender of the letter would like to obtain a certified copy of that letter for his or her file.

              • Russell Mortland

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
                    They should be notarized prior to being recorded.
                    Paul