Criminal Contempt

  • rfm4043
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
      I am involved in a criminal contempt case under 18 USC 401. I would
      like some input from anyone in the group that has dealt w/this issue.
      I have done some things in the case but am not sure I am doing the
      right things regarding this case.

      If you need more information to offer suggestions, please feel free to
      let me know and I will get you all I know. I am new to this format
      and am not sure how to proceed.

      Thank you in advance for any ideas/suggestions you may have. I am a
      new member and just joined today, August 11, 2005.

      Rick Miller
      Phoenix, Arizona
    • Cloverleaf762
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2005
        Well you said criminal so who is filing the charges and what do they say. If
        it was civil there would have to be a contract. If it is a judge what other
        judge will hear the matter to decide if there was any kind of contempt? Just
        a few of the questions that must be answered.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2005
          You realize that in order for you to be involved in a
          criminal contempt case, that the judge cannot just
          convict you in the court; the judge must step down,
          file a verified complaint, file it with the attorney
          general, who then would prosecute it, and you can
          request a trial by jury, and then once convicted, you
          would be entitled to allocution. Until then the
          jurisdiction of the court has not been invoked for any
          kind of criminal contempt. Check the criminal
          procedure for the state and federal jurisdiction, and
          see what elements must be present to indict you, and
          invoke the criminal side of the court in which you are
          in. Chances are, the elements aren't there, and the
          criminal side of the court was never invoked in the
          first place. Time to study! -M

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs